Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires at 21,000 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I scheduled a tire rotation. My last rotation was at about 10K miles, now had 21K miles.
Service person came out and told me that miles tires were worn to 4/32“ in front and 5/32” in rear and recommended new tires.
He said that DOT recommends 2/32” but because Tesla is a heavy car, they recommend to change tires at 4/32”.
I am very busy now with my work and don’t have time to shop around so I agreed and did the tires at the Tesla service center. Took them less than 1 hour of waiting to do the job.
Car rides very smooth.
$295 per tire + $5 tire disposal fee per tire + $200 labor + tax = $1,460.38!
An expensive day.

Probably could’ve gotten more life out of the tires depending on the weather you live in.
As an example data point, my 2019 Model 3 LR RWD with 18-inch wheels (and hence the Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires, which I believe should be the same as @Willy’sEV has) has 33,379 miles on it and the original tires are at about 5/32". I live in Rhode Island, so it's definitely a colder climate than southern California. I work from home so I have the luxury of being able to avoid driving in the snow most of the time, though. I am looking to get new tires soon, but not quite yet.

I haven't followed the relevant threads all that closely, but people seem to report wildly different experiences with tire wear on the Model 3 (and Teslas generally). My impression is that one of the bigger variables is how much people like to accelerate and/or brake hard. Pushing the car's performance features will tend to accelerate wear. Driving the car in a more sedate way will help the tires last longer.

Beyond that, @Willy’sEV (and others) may want to know that Tesla selected tires for the Model 3 that maximize range at the expense of tread life. Many owners have selected other tires with better tread-life ratings as replacements. There are other factors that must be considered, too, of course, and it's my understanding that it's all a game of trade-offs. Rather than start a discussion of all these issues in this thread, here are links to some others:
That last link is to a Google Docs spreadsheet with tire information, but I think it's getting a bit long in the tooth. The others are discussion threads on this site.

I'm surprised the OP didn't manage to get a tire warranty claim when buying new ones.
Can you explain this a little more. I looked at the tires, wore evenly, disappointed to replace at such early mileage but don't see where there is a claim.
Tire warranty claims are rare on OEM tires. In other discussions here, I have mostly read about people being rejected when trying to claim, but some have been successful.

Not saying it can't be done, but seems to not happen very often. YMMV

Reactions: afadeev
So I scheduled a tire rotation. My last rotation was at about 10K miles, now had 21K miles.
Service person came out and told me that miles tires were worn to 4/32“ in front and 5/32” in rear and recommended new tires.
He said that DOT recommends 2/32” but because Tesla is a heavy car, they recommend to change tires at 4/32”.
I am very busy now with my work and don’t have time to shop around so I agreed and did the tires at the Tesla service center. Took them less than 1 hour of waiting to do the job.
Car rides very smooth.
$295 per tire + $5 tire disposal fee per tire + $200 labor + tax = $1,460.38!
An expensive day.
Well, not optimal timing, but it's winter, so best to maximize safety and get it done now, when it's useful to have max tread. When you're plowing thru winter snow and spring rain, you'll be happy you got the tires changed at 4/32nd and didn't wait until 2/32.

As for pricing, Tirerack shows OEM tires are $301 each, so you didn't do too badly.

I am lucky to last 8k miles with seasonal swaps due to the manic tempo I keep with the accelerator pedal. When I started with the MS in 2015 I kept asking for alignments, about two years later the techs told me stop doing that and think about how I drive "you and many other Tesla drivers" service manager said smiling. Honestly I give sero xxxxs about threadwear, I love the eraser soft Potenza S/P-04s for keeping me safe on the Appalachian mountain twisties. Does the Yemen Matari home roasted single grind lever extracted espresso and mug of 30g of pure unprocessed cocoa I pump in every morning have anything to do with it? Approaching 55 slowly here but wife says teen kids still seem more mature than me, dang I ain't gawn reform, 2 late 4 me🚯

Last edited:
So my son's 21 LR have about 12K miles. He was told that his tread wear is at 5/32 and they recommended to change the tires soon. He doesn't drive it much as he works from home and the car is only 1 1/2 years old. I'm not sure about his driving habits but it seems an excessive wear on the tires that's not even in the mid 20k miles on the clock.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
So my son's 21 LR have about 12K miles. He was told that his tread wear is at 5/32 and they recommended to change the tires soon. He doesn't drive it much as he works from home and the car is only 1 1/2 years old. I'm not sure about his driving habits but it seems an excessive wear on the tires that's not even in the mid 20k miles on the clock.
That is really poor wear on the tires.

• Disagree
Reactions: wipster and afadeev