Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally replaced the stock 18” Michelins on my SR after 43,000 miles after hitting 2/32. Lifetime consumption over 43k was 218kW/hr.

Got a great deal on the new Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 at Costco, and immediately noticed my consumption went through the roof. I’ve put almost 1k on them this week, and my consumption is hovering in the 260wh/mi range — no change at all in driving style. Oddly, I’m noticing worse efficiency on slow drives. Taking my girls to school at 35mph is usually a 170kw/hr trip, today it was 220. Highway drives that are usually 220 are now 260-270.

We have a 1,500 family road trip coming up this week, and since I have “just” an SR, I’m nervous about a 158 mile leg. My battery is ~10 degraded, and I was getting 200 real world miles before, but now I’m only getting 160. Not thrilled about the prospect of driving 40mph on the highway, or worse, getting stranded.

• Informative
Reactions: IdaX and KenC
Pilot Sports are sticky tires with no regard for rolling resistance so what you’re seeing is to be expected. I would see if Costco will do an exchange before your trip since consumption is unlikely to improve over the life of these tires.

45psi on the new ones, and 42-45 on the old ones. I’m in South Florida, so it’s hot and flat, and there’s a supercharger on every other corner. Not an issue here, but we’re gonna be in the mountains of NC, so a bit worried.

Considering doing a return. These aren’t the Pilot Sport summers tires, they’re the all seasons, so I didn’t think they’d be this bad.

Pilot Sports are sticky tires with no regard for rolling resistance so what you’re seeing is to be expected. I would see if Costco will do an exchange before your trip since consumption is unlikely to improve over the life of these tires.

Unfortunately tires sellers still don't document rolling resistance in the specifications. That would help a lot.

Your pilot is a ultra high performance all-season. That's a couple steps up in performance from a grand touring tire, even more so since the mxm4 was an eco tire. They should have much better driving characteristics but they are probably noisier and stickier. Tires are always about tradeoffs.

Unfortunately tires sellers still don't document rolling resistance in the specifications. That would help a lot.

It's required in Europe. So you can look it up at Euro Tire shops. But it's not always the exact same tire, but often is.

Also Consumer Reports rates Rolling Resistance on a tons of tires. I spent days and days researching tires for my 19" Model 3 wheels. And they got exactly the same efficiency as OEM with Aero covers. Now that's on OEM 19" Wheels. Tires are everything. BTW that tire does not come in 18".

In general, the higher the Tread wear number, the less grip (especially wet) and the lower rolling resistance. ROUGHLY.

Wow, @lateulade I feel for you. You guys with the tire tech lingo, can't someone just help him out? We're not track drivers. This stuff is too multi-dimensioned for people just wanting tires!

In the meantime, have you considered a different destination/route?
I reread this thread looking for the complicated lingo and couldn’t find it.

Anyway, shite situation to be in. 10% degradation in <50k miles also sounds steep. Only other thing not mentioned is an alignment check.

Or taking an ICE vehicle if there’s one in the family.

Or getting a new car. Idiotic advice but it’d be my choice if it came down to being so limiting I couldn’t even get a quasi-aggressive set of tires like A/S 4s.

Oddly, I’m noticing worse efficiency on slow drives. Taking my girls to school at 35mph is usually a 170kw/hr trip, today it was 220. Highway drives that are usually 220 are now 260-270.
Not odd at all, the rolling resistance effect on the overall resistance calculation should peak about at 45 mph. Going up, aerodynamic resistance takes place more and more on the total resitance.

It must be said that you should do some thousand miles on new tires to smooth the tires as they comes from production line, it will get slightly better.

But in any case, people should realize that rolling resistance effect it's huge, large tyres are critical and that you in USA should work to have the labels on tyres with the tyre classes as in EU:

1200px-EC_tyre_label_CA.svg.png

OP it is unlikely (not impossible, but unlikely) you have truly lost 10% of your battery after 50k miles. There are lots of threads on degradation and how the BMS works, check them out. As for your road trip, depends on where in NC you’re going. There’s a SC in Asheville and Hickory, and many L2s spread around. As long as your family can handle the charging stops I’d still take the Tesla. But that’s just me, I can’t stand driving ICE cars now.

FWIW I got the Michelin CC+ and have also seen energy consumption increase a bit. However it “feels” like a better tire so to me a good trade off.