Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update from the OP, as I know a few people said this killed their desire to get the Pilot Sport A/S.

After 2500 miles or so, I'm now noticing minimal consumption difference as compared to the OEM tires (although I've been too lazy to take off the aero covers I put on for our road trip so far). I've done several 50-100 mile drives that got me in the .220 - .230 range, and my lifetime consumption is .218. Looks like I just needed to break them in a bit. I probably won't bother paying the $300 difference to swap to the Primacy now.

Update from the OP, as I know a few people said this killed their desire to get the Pilot Sport A/S.

After 2500 miles or so, I'm now noticing minimal consumption difference as compared to the OEM tires (although I've been too lazy to take off the aero covers I put on for our road trip so far). I've done several 50-100 mile drives that got me in the .220 - .230 range, and my lifetime consumption is .218. Looks like I just needed to break them in a bit. I probably won't bother paying the $300 difference to swap to the Primacy now.
Thanks for the update. I'm glad these tires aren't the dud that you initially presented them to be. I'll be checking these out when time is right.

I'm not a mathematician, but I noticed something that could make a difference. The Pilot A/S 4 has only 780 revolutions per mile. OEM has 790. If Tesla uses revolutions to determine miles, speed and energy then you're actually traveling more miles. That only accounts for about 1.3% but it could be a contributing factor. Anyone know if Tesla uses GPS or wheel rotations?

Yes, odometer is tied to wheel speed/revolutions. Yes, changing OD of tire/wheel pckg will alter both odometer and speedometer. (which in turn throws off range est.)

IIRC, no auto manufacturer sold in US is allowed to use GPS for odometer.

I am amazed to hear OP's low lifetime wh/mi. I struggle to keep my SR+ below 250-255wh/mi. on oem 18", and keep inflation correct.

Yes, odometer is tied to wheel speed/revolutions. Yes, changing OD of tire/wheel pckg will alter both odometer and speedometer. (which in turn throws off range est.)

IIRC, no auto manufacturer sold in US is allowed to use GPS for odometer.

One could, however, use GPS averages to slowly and gently calibrate the wheel-rpm-to-speed factor within limits. I have difficulties imagining that Tesla does not do this. I also have no other explanation for the utterly precise speedometer, particularly after changing tires.

I swapped my stock tires for PS4s, as well on a M3 LR. The efficiency went down at least 20%. I drive from LA to vegas often. When I used to leave starting with 100%, I'd have to stop for 10 mins and made it to Vegas with 15% left. I just did the same drive in much cooler weather. I had to charge for 25 mins and by the time I got home, I had 4% left.

It was 7 charges for 750 miles, unfortunately (TeslaFi data below). Consumption averaged .260wh/mi over the entire trip — some of that was rain, some of it was me driving 70 rather than 65, some of it was mountains (I live in South Florida, so I’m not used to it) and some of it was the tires, I’m sure. I’ll definitely be upgrading to SR+ when funds allow. The trip went exactly as nav/ABRP recommended, and at least two charging stops were added because I was just a few % short to skip and get to the next one. The 158 mile leg was split into two 90 mile legs (I had to go several miles in the wrong direction and double back). I love my car, but if we replace my wife’s 2011 Prius (which is too old/unreliable to risk taking 800 miles from home) with a Y as planned, we’ll definitely be getting a LR for family trips — adding 3 hours of charging time to a 12 hour drive was a pretty miserable experience with my wife and two kids in tow. View attachment 601963

I’ve made the drive from Tampa up to Asheville in a Standard Range +. The consumption and charging needed you experienced isn’t out of the ordinary.

We were fully loaded (me, wife, two kids, drunk and trunk packed to the brim with spare tire and a floor jack). Average consumption was in the 280 Wh/mi area. You have to remember you are climbing 1900-2000+ feet.

From what I remember, a couple of the charge stops were brutal - arriving at less than 10% and needing to charge up to 95%. One was a 70min charge stop due to stall sharing and slower charging of the SR+.

The experience is user dependent though. My wife and I loved it, and our two young kids didn’t mind stopping every 100-150 miles for breaks.

Hi OP, thanks for the info! Was wondering what is your wh/mi efficiency now and your total mileage with the tires? Are you still overall satisfied? Thanks!

All seasons aren’t that grippy
That's not true. The Pilot A/S4s are the highest A/S category (ultra high-performance all-season), and pretty close to summer tires, so those tires definitely are grippy. Not as much as summer Pilot Sport 4Ss, obviously, but not that far either.

OP, which tire pressures are you using now? And what % do you consider your range decrease after several thousand miles of use? Thx.

Reactions: GtiMart

Thank god. Threads like these really put out false info claiming "new tires drops range by 25%" and everyone goes OMG, not buy those tires bla bla bla. I don't believe anyone that says that their new tires dropped range >15% unless they put on slicks or something.

So glad to read this. I just ordered a set and the title of the thread had me worried but glad to hear everything seems to normalize as time goes on.
I've put 5k on my pilot sport A/S 4s and there is a definite hit to efficiency at least according to what the car "thinks". I've read stuff on this forum about how some of the numbers being not quite real world accurate due but can't remember where I saw them exactly. Prior to the new set, I was running 246 wh/m (about 17k in). Got new tires as I was going on 3/32 and going on a long road trip. 5k miles in (so a little over 22k now) and total consumption is 267 wh/m. One note, a big chunk of those miles was road tripping so that does account for some of the increase, I think, but not all of it. I would say expect some decrease in efficiency if you get the pilot sport 4 A/S. Anywhere from 5 to 10 percent.

I've put 5k on my pilot sport A/S 4s and there is a definite hit to efficiency at least according to what the car "thinks". I've read stuff on this forum about how some of the numbers being not quite real world accurate due but can't remember where I saw them exactly. Prior to the new set, I was running 246 wh/m (about 17k in). Got new tires as I was going on 3/32 and going on a long road trip. 5k miles in (so a little over 22k now) and total consumption is 267 wh/m. One note, a big chunk of those miles was road tripping so that does account for some of the increase, I think, but not all of it. I would say expect some decrease in efficiency if you get the pilot sport 4 A/S. Anywhere from 5 to 10 percent.
It's normal for new tires to have more rolling resistance than your previous tires. This would be true even if you replaced them with the exact same tires. Rolling resistance decreases as the tread wears (there are a few other factors, but the main one is tread depth). By now you should be seeing a bit better than Wh/mi than there was when the tires were brand new. (All this is not to say that the A/S 4s aren't higher rolling resistance, only that when they were first installed there was a larger difference than there is now.)