Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m also showing 235Wh/mi at 65. How often is this updated/averaged? I’ve only had my new tires since Wednesday.
BBEA2710-916F-4AD0-9394-4815E42B8F10.jpeg

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that you can check your efficiency at 65mph, using ABRP. That way you can have an actual meaningful benchmark for your tire's efficiency compared to others. Mine is 235Wh/mile at 65mph according to ABRP, for a LR-AWD. Would be interesting to compile a list of these for various tires.

You only need to sign up, and have it calibrate for your vehicle. I boxed mine in red below. If you supercharge, it'll also give you some info on your car's deg. I have Vredestein Quatrac5. How does it compare to the OEM's? It seems about the same as far as I can tell. I don't have a comparable ABRP reading since I think this ABRP feature came out after I switched tires:
View attachment 600485

Attachments

• 5CCD75C4-6F05-43B1-8B3A-E22E64B39FD3.jpeg
    5CCD75C4-6F05-43B1-8B3A-E22E64B39FD3.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: KenC
I went with Continental Extreme Contact all season- and have had better wh/m than the stock mxm. They're also much quieter, though they're not quite as grippy. Also super happy with Michelin X-Ice for winters- way, way better in snow.

I'm surprised that you've gotten better range with the continental all-season performance tires than the oem mxm. I'll have to check these out when it's time to replace mine.

Maybe a silly question but why is nobody just buying the same tires that came on the car? Reading this gives me anxiety for when the time comes when I need new tires.
Because sometimes there is an improvement. The Goodyears that were OE on the 2013 S were so flat-prone that I took them off at 14K miles. The MXM4s that replaced them were at the one flat per every two sets of tires rate that I expect.

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
Maybe a silly question but why is nobody just buying the same tires that came on the car? Reading this gives me anxiety for when the time comes when I need new tires.

Because they suck?

The P3D+ (with the PS4s) are the only factory wheels that come with best in class tires- all the others are midrange garbage that hit the efficiency # Tesla wanted and they got a good deal on.

I don't think it's a silly question at all. When I upgraded my wheels from 18s to 19s, I contemplated sticking with OEM tires. Then, I researched how much more expensive they were due to their foam lining, which I learned actually doesn't significantly make the ride quieter at all, at least not for how much more they cost.

Ultimately, I decided on the kind of tires that aligned with my priorities, which was to maintain the range even though I was moving up from 18s to 19s. To my pleasant surprise, i found that the tires I got were actually just as quiet and with a narrower sidewall at that, AND they were cheaper than the Tesla OE tires in 19s.

There has to be something else going on here, and it’s driving me nuts – – just drove down the street at under 20mph, which used to get me essentially infinite range on the OEM 18’s. The car is now telling me I have 25mi of range at 43% SOC.

I’m actually getting better efficiency at 65mph than I am at 30mph, which makes no sense to me at all.
691BCB7B-99C7-4E1C-A396-7A6F90794429.jpeg

Last edited:
went with CC+ and lost about 5-10% in efficiency but the ride is just way more comfortable than the MXM4 and has some rim protection on it. So the trade off is worth it to me.

Even though I live in the bay area, I wanted A/S in case we drive up to Tahoe - and lucky I did go A/S because we are planning on driving up to Utah in December. Pilot Sports have such low tread warranty on them also - I plan on claiming tread warranty on all future Michelin tires since tires wear down so quickly on EVs. Might as well get the biggest discount you can and Pilot Sports would minimize that discount.

As others have said, new tires have worse efficiency. I think someone said it gets better after putting 500 or so miles on new tires.

Last edited:
Yeah, your consumption is obviously ridiculously high for driving down the street at 20MPH. Something else seems wrong here. Stuck parking brake? Check for heat after a quick drive.

I agree its totally normal for your replacement tires to cause more consumption. The factory tires were worn down, and I believe are shaved down to 8/32" when new (probably for better efficiency). But obviously a few percent is expected, not what you're describing.

My question: Why the heck would someone living in FL by all season tires! Admittedly, I am quiet inclined to performance tires and am willing to pay the price by putting on winter tires (love my 18" Vredesteins; great performance and quieter than the stock Michelin PS4S--looking forward to blowing by all kinds of SUVs on crappy tires!), but in FL?! You can look at CR to get an idea on rolling resistance; quick look suggest much better performance than stock with better rolling resistance if that important in the form of Yokoham Advan V701 (not Costco option). The Cross Climate has good efficiency, to if you insist on AS but want a much better tire than stock.