Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so are there any tires that help range over OEM? I know for my ICE I used Michelin Energy Savers that were lighter. Energy™ Saver A/S

I'd be willing to pay extra as a fellow SR owner.

If they exist nobody has reported them on this forum. The MXM4 tires were designed specifically for the Model 3 to maximize range. I doubt a tire company is going to find a way to improve the range over this tire without direct support from Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: JBT66 and vickh
If they exist nobody has reported them on this forum. The MXM4 tires were designed specifically for the Model 3 to maximize range. I doubt a tire company is going to find a way to improve the range over this tire without direct support from Tesla.

I don't really agree with this. Tesla was no doubt balancing traction, expense, and range when dealing with Michelin. If someone doesn't care about traction, I imagine they could mount some narrower, harder tires that would give somewhat better range. Until the SR came out I don't think anyone really stressed enough about range to give up traction to get it.

If anyone wants to try them, I see AVID ASCEND LX P215/50R18 as a potential match, although they'll be pretty close to their weight limit. Might want to set the wheel size to 19" to better match the circumference(+0.4% instead of +0.8% compared to the original 18's)

Note that the mentioned 215/50/18's aren't likely to mount on the stock rims, they are just too narrow. If they do mount, they'll likely look stretched(and awful).

Last edited:
Reactions: vickh
I don't really agree with this. Tesla was no doubt balancing traction, expense, and range when dealing with Michelin. If someone doesn't care about traction, I imagine they could mount some narrower, harder tires that would give somewhat better range. Until the SR came out I don't think anyone really stressed enough about range to give up traction to get it.

If anyone wants to try them, I see AVID ASCEND LX P215/50R18 as a potential match, although they'll be pretty close to their weight limit. Might want to set the wheel size to 19" to better match the circumference(+0.4% instead of +0.8% compared to the original 18's)

Note that the mentioned 215/50/18's aren't likely to mount on the stock rims, they are just too narrow. If they do mount, they'll likely look stretched(and awful).

Traction Performance /looks are not as important to me as safety and range. Esp here in PHX we have maybe 30 days of rain/inclement weather/yr at best. The temp rating is very important. I would like them to give me some + height over OEM as a bonus but I will stick to OEM for now, unless the range gain is as high as OP is claiming a loss

FWIW, ABRP shows 232 Wh/mi @ 65mph for my stealth performance, with the original tires at around 16k miles. My lifetime efficiency is around 298 though. The thing that sounds more odd to me is how the OP has such great efficiency on the older tires... is SR really that much more efficient?

yes, perhaps due to lower acceleration or how the efficiency denominator handles the buffered SR+ part

In general, my approach has been to replace with the exact same OEM tire if at all possible whenitis time to replace tires. Then there is no question about degraded performance.

That's true- doing that insures you get the degraded performance of whatever compromise on range, cost, etc the OEM selected instead of using your own personal preferences to shift the weight of that compromise nearer your own desires.

Traction Performance /looks are not as important to me as safety and range

Those are opposing goals.

Stickier tires are generally safer (can handle turns at speed safer, can handle bad weather better, can stop the car significantly shorter in an emergency). But range will be worse.

Lower resistance tires get you better range, but poorer safety and performance.

Everything is a trade off.

Since I don't use even 50% of my range on 99% of days, but I do want to not be in a car accident 100% of days, I gave up a little range (~7-8% so far) for better performance and safety (including ~20% shorter stopping distance and a lot more confident handling in the rain)

Had to charge 7 times, and solemnly swear to my wife that the Tesla will only be used for in-state trips going forward, but we made it
So—you didn’t get back to “normal” energy usage? Where did you end up on wh/mi for the trip? Seems unfortunate to have such a capable vehicle but only relegate it to local trips.... Still, glad you made it.

He said the trip was 1500 miles, in a standard range Model 3. 7 charging stops sounds precisely normal.
Ah—got it; sorry—totally missed that crucial piece of information. Seems like the “new tires killed my range” mantra has officially been debunked. Good news as the PSAS4s were/are high on my list of potential replacements. Thanks.

Reactions: Gasaraki
I think there are tires out there that actually give you MORE range than the MXM4's. Some of the forum members have posted increases with different tires along with other pluses like less noise, etc...

Reactions: vickh
For best overall travel time you'd have to recharge more often, about once every 100 to 150 miles. 7 stops means that you have to drive at moderate speed at least on some legs, as the chargers will not be equidistant.

I agree, something does seem a little off here.

Depends on whether it was 1500 miles round trip, with destination charging. If so, 7 charging-only stops (3 out, 4 back, or vice versa) seems just possible (it's an average of 187.5 miles per leg including a full charge at destination), depending on conditions. Could be asymmetric with elevation change or wind/weather.

Seems just possible, though 8 or 9 charging stops (~150 miles per leg with some asymmetry on the spacing out/back) seems like it would be more optimal. Depends on the route of course.

The biggest question I have is whether @lateulade made his 158-mile leg!

EPA does do confirmatory testing at their Ann Arbor, MI laboratory.

Sometimes they do. Not for the majority of vehicles, though, as I understand it. Too many variants, etc.

That's true- doing that insures you get the degraded performance of whatever compromise on range, cost, etc the OEM selected instead of using your own personal preferences to shift the weight of that compromise nearer your own desires.

Those are opposing goals.

Stickier tires are generally safer (can handle turns at speed safer, can handle bad weather better, can stop the car significantly shorter in an emergency). But range will be worse.

Lower resistance tires get you better range, but poorer safety and performance.

Everything is a trade off.

Since I don't use even 50% of my range on 99% of days, but I do want to not be in a car accident 100% of days, I gave up a little range (~7-8% so far) for better performance and safety (including ~20% shorter stopping distance and a lot more confident handling in the rain)

Which tires did you get/do you recommend as replacements?