Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires killed my range (20-30% decrease)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$4500 (which includes AP, which I don’t have)

Completely worth it in my opinion, primarily for the AP. It really makes driving more peaceful and enjoyable. Plus you’ll make it back in the future with resale value. A Tesla without AP would be a tough car to sell.

You could also consider seeing what Tesla would give you to trade it in. I was surprised that Tesla was still willing to give me $32k for my 2019 SR+.

• Funny
Reactions: cdswm3
Completely worth it in my opinion, primarily for the AP. It really makes driving more peaceful and enjoyable. Plus you’ll make it back in the future with resale value. A Tesla without AP would be a tough car to sell.

You could also consider seeing what Tesla would give you to trade it in. I was surprised that Tesla was still willing to give me $32k for my 2019 SR+.

Tesla recently offered an AP upgrade for $2K for those who did not already have it. That means you are spending at extra $2,500 for 20 more miles of range. That’s pretty hard to justify.

Keep in mind that SR owners can safely charge to 100% and get 220 miles of range while SR+ owners normally only charge to 90%, thus getting the same effective range for everyday driving.

Reactions: vickh and bedoig
Keep in mind that SR owners can safely charge to 100% and get 220 miles of range while SR+ owners normally only charge to 90%, thus getting the same effective range for everyday driving.

I’ve heard that logic a few times. The thing is, though, is that usually you don’t need 220 miles of range for everyday driving. Usually you only need max range for long trips, and when you need it, you want as much as you can get.

I lost like 10% range going from the Pirelli Cinturato P7 (grand touring all season) to the Michelin PS AS3+ (Ultra high performance all season) last year. But now my car handles better and stops better. I gave up some ride comfort. The Michelin’s seem to be more flat resistant also. Anyways, tires can effect efficiency by effecting rolling resistance and by effecting unsprung weight (weight of wheel and tire combined). In my case it was both.

In general higher performance tires (even high performance all seasons) have more rolling resistance and are heavier due to the construction materials, etc used to make them stiffer and handle better. Although there are some exceptions. Grand touring all seasons are more focused on low noise, long life, ride quality, and more of them have low rolling resistance. Michelin MXM4 is a grand touring all season, the AS4 is a high performance all season.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh

wow, miles? what did you trade up to? I wonder if that's a factor like with other dealers

When was this quoted? I'm in Portland too and was thinking about switching to the 2021 Model Year. But now that those are being built and my car has a little more mileage (~20k) im not sure if they will give me as much...

I’ve not seen this. Not a single one. Please help me find these magical tires.
Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS. Someone posted that they had bought these and their range went up and the noise went down. I can't vouch for anything other than that's what I read. One thing you might run into is the tire shops not wanting to let you buy these because they don't have the some rating of the MXMM4 or some other reason (that I believe is just to sell you more expensive tires). They're about $100 less per tire than the MXMM4's.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: BDC62 and vickh
Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS. Someone posted that they had bought these and their range went up and the noise went down. I can't vouch for anything other than that's what I read. One thing you might run into is the tire shops not wanting to let you buy these because they don't have the some rating of the MXMM4 or some other reason (that I believe is just to sell you more expensive tires). They're about $100 less per tire than the MXMM4's.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ead compound,wet road and wintertime traction.

lower weight, less rolling resistance and reduced noise while enhancing wet braking and year-round traction, even in light snow.

Live in PA. I can take my SUV for snow and ice but it does get cold here, so don't want just a summer tire. Came with the Michelin X4s. Looking to see if others have found better options. Saw a reference to the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06. Also some of the Vredesteins.