Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires needed after less than 30k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2018 long range dual motor. At FSD upgrade the service center told me that front tires are almost bald on inner edge due to wheel misalignment. I ended up replacing all 4 at Costco and did a 4-wheel alignment afterwards at another tire shop.

I don't recall ever doing an alignment on Toyota camry during my 11 years ownership. How come Tesla tires are so delicate and require such often alignment?

How come Tesla tires are so delicate and require such often alignment?

Tesla doesn't make tires. I'd say you did well to get 30k miles out of the stock tires. I replaced mine (18's) around 5k miles when I upgraded to aftermarket wheels. Never rotated since mileage was low, but the rears were about half gone already. My 2nd set were Yokohama summers that lasted 10k miles. On my 3rd set now with Conti A/S. I'll be happy if I can get 25k miles out of them.

Last edited:
2018 long range dual motor. At FSD upgrade the service center told me that front tires are almost bald on inner edge due to wheel misalignment. I ended up replacing all 4 at Costco and did a 4-wheel alignment afterwards at another tire shop.

I don't recall ever doing an alignment on Toyota camry during my 11 years ownership. How come Tesla tires are so delicate and require such often alignment?

Misalignment is due to vehicle hitting stuff, like curbs and potholes. Thinner tires absorb less energy, so they transmit those forces into the suspension components and knock them out of alignment.

Tire wear is due to tire compound. Although heavier car and more powerful car like Tesla will obviously wear tires faster.

• Informative
Reactions: Pricedm
Even wear all 4 corners, still have some meat left at a little over 21,000 miles. Haven’t rotated tires yet. OEM primacy tires
E35DDCF6-959A-43AC-937D-9E12F79C10AE.jpeg

Fred

The problem is that your car almost certainly left the factory with the alignment not being set correctly. Mine was way off, and even after the SC did an alignment, it was still way off. I bought the tools to do my own alignments, so that's how I know.

Have you noticed any of the millions of posts about build quality issues with Teslas?? Those build quality issues extend to alignments because, why not!

• Disagree
Reactions: iamnid and Vecii
Making it past 25k miles is an accomplishment. I'd say 30k is when almost all need to be changed, despite driving behaviors.

Yep.

Here is my story: First set (stock Michelin), 25k miles. Had Tesla align it. Second set (stock Michelin), 25k miles. Had independent shop align it (twice - they messed up the first time)... third set (Continental ExtremeContact) has 25k on them with at least 50% tread life remaining, so I’m expecting 50-60k out of them.

Reactions: NOLADriver
I have not done an alignment on either of our cars for decades. Probably a million miles total. All tires lasted roughly what they were rated to last. Almost always replaced with the same as OEM. I always rotated and watch pressure closely. And we live in pothole kingdom.

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich and redim
Did you have the same set of tires on that Camry the whole 11 years?

I changed tires usually after 40k-45k miles on both the Toyota Camry and the Volvo XC60 I owned. Hence I was shocked by the 30k life of Tesla tires. I ended up replacing them with Michelin cross-climate, 4 costing $860 instead of the $1280 that was asked for by Tesla service center. Costco guy told me these cheaper tires are actually much better than the original Michelin primacy. I'll have to wait and see.

Misalignment is due to vehicle hitting stuff, like curbs and potholes. Thinner tires absorb less energy, so they transmit those forces into the suspension components and knock them out of alignment.

Tire wear is due to tire compound. Although heavier car and more powerful car like Tesla will obviously wear tires faster.

Makes sense. Thanks for explaining!

The problem is that your car almost certainly left the factory with the alignment not being set correctly. Mine was way off, and even after the SC did an alignment, it was still way off. I bought the tools to do my own alignments, so that's how I know.

Have you noticed any of the millions of posts about build quality issues with Teslas?? Those build quality issues extend to alignments because, why not!

Tesla would charge $260 for alignment. I did it at Sullivan tires and paid $200.