Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires needed after less than 30k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had independent shop align it (twice - they messed up the first time)

Happened to me too. Did a rotation at home at 10K and noted the uneven wear (inside edge). Took it to a local shop who checked it and said everything was fine (and didn't charge me). Wear continued and replaced tires at 20K and immediately had a different independent shop who specializes in Teslas do an alignment. They found a number of settings out of spec that had caused the premature and uneven wear. The new tires and the corrected alignment also resulted in significantly improved ride and handling. Lesson learned--next time I will rotate at 5K and immediately address any uneven wear with a shop who knows Teslas.

Reactions: Watts_Up
I don't think new tires at 30K is out of the norm. You might get 40K driving gently. The Model 3 isn't a tire-eating monster like a Model S Performance, but it'll need new shoes more frequently than a minivan. We have 27K miles on the car right now and the tires look like they have a few thousand left.

On a RWD car you don't really need to rotate tires. You can if you want to, but it's not going to give you that much. I always get the alignment done with new tires.

The problem is that your car almost certainly left the factory with the alignment not being set correctly.
Mine was way off, and even after the SC did an alignment, it was still way off.
I checked my alignment when my car was new (500 miles) for future reference.
- Camber and Caster were fine.
- Toe was a little bit out of range.
Note: The car was driving straight, the only issue with the Toe out of range is that the tires would worn out faster.

I used Big'O as they provide a 6 months alignment warranty, so I get used now to check the alignment twice a year, the second time for free.

I bought the tools to do my own alignments, so that's how I know.
I have seen various Youtube videos about doing alignment, I would be interested knowing what tool you are using?

Last edited:
New tyres after 30,000 miles is now something to complain about.

Wow, how times have changed :D

Love it. No, seriously. ;)
Having lived in the UK for a few years, I can understand your amusement at someone complaining their tires lasted only 30k miles. I was lucky to get 20k miles on relatively hard tires driving on UK roads. All the round-a-bouts shredded the tires. I'd say, on average, tires last much longer in the US.

I checked my alignment when my car was new (500 miles) for future reference.
- Camber and Caster were fine.
- Toe was a little bit out of range.
Note: The car was driving straight, the only issue with the Toe out of range is that the tires would worn out faster.

I used Big'O as they provide a 6 months alignment warranty, so I get used now to check the alignment twice a year, the second time for free.

I have seen various Youtube videos about doing alignment, I would be interested knowing what tool you are using?

TrackAce. It's crazy accurate which in inherent in its design.
Trackace DIY laser wheel alignment tracking gauge. Poor wheel alignment wastes fuel, damages tyres & increases your CO2 emissions carbon emissions.

I also bought this kickass camber/caster tool:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PKI0VT2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love not having to depend on these alignment shops anymore because half the time they do a crappy job. Here's a pro tip: The more the alignment shop talks like they know what they are doing, and tells you how they do a great job and fix the bad alignments of other shops, the more they suck at what they do for a living.

The problem is that your car almost certainly left the factory with the alignment not being set correctly. Mine was way off, and even after the SC did an alignment, it was still way off. I bought the tools to do my own alignments, so that's how I know.

Have you noticed any of the millions of posts about build quality issues with Teslas?? Those build quality issues extend to alignments because, why not!
Mine also came out of the factory misaligned. I didn't notice it until about 10k miles in, and then Tesla wouldn't align it for free, wanting over $200 for the job. I took it to a local shop that only does suspension and alignment, and they checked the alignment and adjusted the toe for $70. It should be noted that the only alignment settings that are adjustable on a stock Model 3 is the toe which is pretty simple for any competent shop to do.

Got 27k off the original tires - Americas tire said I could probably get another 4-5k out of it since it was just at the end of 4/32" but I decided to replace them anyways with Michelin CrossClimate+.

I have no idea how some people only manage to get 15k out of the original tires. Yes, we have fast cars - but that doesnt mean you need to floor it from stop every damn time!

Hell, I think I got only 16k off the stock tires off my old Civic so 27k was a nice treat.

I have no idea how some people only manage to get 15k out of the original tires. Yes, we have fast cars - but that doesnt mean you need to floor it from stop every damn time!

It's fun to blame people's driving style, but many of these cars are leaving the factory with bad alignments, and that's the real reason. They just don't know it and blame "the powerful car" or poor quality tires. It's the alignment.

+ vehicle weight and torque. Tesla's are heavy and they will wear through tires faster than much lighter vehicles.
Ehh, they're not that much heavier. The Model 3 is only 0-10% heavier than it's entry-luxury sedan competition. The weight does have an effect, but it's really the low-end torque that tears up the tires.

More on topic, I'm getting 40k miles out of my 19" Continentals. The front tires get extra wear on the inside edge, so I suspect my front toe is off a little from the factory (10/18 build). As a result, I will get the front alignment checked shortly.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
hmmm... the local Firestone does alignments for $100. $200 gets lifetime alignments. Any reason I shouldn't go with them for my Model 3? (they do my BMW alignments)...

Doing the alignment on a Tesla Model 3 is butt simple. Like some other cars there’s extra effort to remove a plastic under panel with a handful of fasteners, but other than that, nothing special. So don’t ever let any shop charge you extra for aligning “one of these new fangled electrically powered contraptions.” There’s no calibration needed either after the alignment. It self calibrates the on center.

Pay more attention to the tire condition and you won't run into this issue next time. It can be an expensive lesson. Also, comparing different cars and tires to your Tesla is apples and oranges. The Tesla will wear the tires faster for reasons already mentioned. If you're after long life, aside from performing proper maintenance, learn about the tire ratings (e.g. treadwear) to make a more informed decision and don't depend on just someone's opinion. The manufacturer tells you how they expect a tire to perform just from the ratings. Once you understand them, then you can look at actual owner reviews to get a better idea of real-world performance. TireRack is a great source of info even if you prefer not to purchase from them.