Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tires needed after less than 30k miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Ranger who installed my HW 3 pointed out I needed new tires. Mentioned that regeneration also wears tires faster, so it's not just the weight and "spirited driving."
Not really.

Regen braking puts the same amount of total wear on tires as normal friction brakes. What is different is the bias to that braking. Model 3's primarily use the rear motor for regen braking. So the rear tires will wear faster due the rear bias for both acceleration and regen. For an ICE car, the front tires get used more for braking. But the total amount of tire wear due to braking is the same as an ICE car of the same weight.

I just replaced the original 18" MXM4s today. 25.5 months, 41,500 miles. There was actually still a little left before the wear bars, but I didn't want to wait until the next Costco Michelin sale (November?), which would likely be when snow starts creeping into the forecast.

As for alignment, it's been perfect from day one. It's so good that it's almost dangerous. On arrow-straight freeway, I sometimes think I have Autosteer engaged since it stays in the lane perfectly--until the curve. :D

I just replaced the original 18" MXM4s today. 25.5 months, 41,500 miles. There was actually still a little left before the wear bars, but I didn't want to wait until the next Costco Michelin sale (November?), which would likely be when snow starts creeping into the forecast.

As for alignment, it's been perfect from day one. It's so good that it's almost dangerous. On arrow-straight freeway, I sometimes think I have Autosteer engaged since it stays in the lane perfectly--until the curve. :D
Steering set to sport? I have the same issue

Reactions: CharleyBC
303 Aerospace Protectant is amazing for rubber, plastic, seals, etc. Some think this is a bunch of BS, but I've done it on my tires since new (now close to 30,000 Km) and the tire shop was amazed at the very little wear. And I have a lead foot. Soak my tires including tread and let them sit for 12 hours every 1-3 months depending on season. Not greasy and has not affected the grip or traction at all. Simply keeps the rubber conditioned and prevents shaving of the compound. Not to mention UV protection for the sidewalls.

That's a good report. I have the 19inch factory Contis onaon 3 LR RWD. close to replaceing them at 31k. I came across someone to sell me some 18" aeros with tpms at a really good deal. The 18s need new tires.

many 18 aero owners report tires wearing out in the 15 - 25k range. Debating whether it's worth it to pickup those 18s rims and get new MXV4s on them. I do go on a lot of road trips so minor gains in efficiency.

Debating whether it's worth it to pickup those 18s rims and get new MXV4s on them. I do go on a lot of road trips so minor gains in efficiency.

If you do decide to go with the 18s, I recommend that you explore tire options other than the MXV4s. In my case, not only did they wear out at 20K miles, I was very unhappy with the poor ride quality on most road surfaces and the marginal performance in bad weather that I experienced from day one with the MXV4s that came with the car. There are lots of excellent choices available and all of them seem to cost less than the MXV4s. In my case, I went with the Michelin CrossClimate+.

Reactions: IronQQQ
Why would you not rotate them?! :confused:

why would you?

Car Talk Service Advice: Rotating Tires

That's car talk basically saying unless you're getting it done free or close to free you shouldn't bother.

Even some car makers, like BMW, specifically say it's a waste- can actually degrade handling without significant upside- and don't recommend doing it as long as you're properly aligned and keeping your tires inflated properly in the first place.

Reactions: luke68bird
why would you?

Car Talk Service Advice: Rotating Tires

That's car talk basically saying unless you're getting it done free or close to free you shouldn't bother.

Even some car makers, like BMW, specifically say it's a waste- can actually degrade handling without significant upside- and don't recommend doing it as long as you're properly aligned and keeping your tires inflated properly in the first place.

Because both my prior sets the rears wore about twice as fast as the fronts. So unless I plan to replace just one axle (which I don't prefer and have never done on any of my vehicles), I'll be rotating them. I've never paid for them. If it happens to be in the shop, I'll ask to get it done. If not, I do them myself.

Reactions: john5520
many 18 aero owners report tires wearing out in the 15 - 25k range. Debating whether it's worth it to pickup those 18s rims and get new MXV4s on them. I do go on a lot of road trips so minor gains in efficiency.
Yep. And I think I've seen numbers even lower than that. At my first rotation on the original tires, the tire guy said, "I see you've been enjoying that torque!" He was referring to how much more worn the rears were (RWD car). Which was true--I had been enjoying zero-to-speed-limit bursts. But I also enjoy not spending money, so I went back to my old conservative driving habits and got the above-reported 41K+ miles. So I think the biggest factor in tire wear is the occupant of the driver's seat. :)

Reactions: IronQQQ
Weird... mine wore perfectly evenly over about 22k miles not just front to back, but across each tire based on depth gauge readings... no rotations at all.

I likely could've gotten to 25-30k safely based on depth, but one tire had had a slow leak for a few thousand miles (like needed to add a few PSI weekly) that suddenly became a much less slow leak, and the MXM4s sucked anyway, so I went ahead and replaced all 4 with better tires.

(LR AWD+ FWIW, though like 90% of my driving is freeways and on AP/NoA)

Weird... mine wore perfectly evenly over about 22k miles not just front to back, but across each tire based on depth gauge readings... no rotations at all.

I likely could've gotten to 25-30k safely based on depth, but one tire had had a slow leak for a few thousand miles (like needed to add a few PSI weekly) that suddenly became a much less slow leak, and the MXM4s sucked anyway, so I went ahead and replaced all 4 with better tires.

(LR AWD+ FWIW, though like 90% of my driving is freeways and on AP/NoA)
Based on nothing but intuition, I bet our different experience may be attributable to you having AWD and me having RWD. Since all four of your wheels are powered and involved in regen, your wear is more even. Only my rear wheels do power and regen, so they take the bulk of the wear.

I'm at 31k miles on the OG OEM. Just came back from 2 year service. The tires are in really good shape. I made sure to rotate and have an alignment done regularly. I also don't floor it every time I leave a stop light or sign. while taking corners at normal speeds. If your front tires are bald (not just at the edges) you're taking corners like you're competing in autocross. If the sides are wearing faster than the middle, that's an alignment issue. If the center of the tread is wearing and not the sides, the tires are over inflated.

31k, LR RWD 18inch Aeros

Last edited: