Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires...No Regen (Not Winter Tires)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a LR RWD. Just changed my rear tires to stock size Continental DWS. Now I have no Regen and traction control light turns on when accelerating in a curve and I cannot go faster. When I turn the car on as long as I'm below say 15 mph or so Regen will behave normal. Once I cross over a certain speed, Regen shuts off. Even if I try to go back down to slower speeds below 15 mph. But if I turn car off and turn it back on, it will again start Regen under 15 mph. Anyone ever experience this?

Just changed my rear tires to stock size Continental DWS. Now I have no Regen and traction control light turns on when accelerating in a curve and I cannot go faster.
You say you “changed” your rear tires to the “stock size”. Does that mean that before the tire change you were using a tire size at the rear that was different than the tire size that came on your car when it was new?

Are the fronts that you didn't replace the same model and how worn are they? If the fronts are really worn/getting close to replacement time, it might be the difference in circumference that's throwing the system off. Also, if they're different brands, they may vary in circumference even they're the same 'size.' One companies size X can be noticeably different than another company.

The other thing is that brand new tires can have a layer of oil/wax that affect traction for the first few miles. Once you wear/burn that off, you should get better traction.

I have a LR RWD. Just changed my rear tires to stock size Continental DWS.
What tires do you have on the front? Are you no longer running a square setup? I could see the computer getting confused by different sized tires and shutting off regen. Two solutions would be to return to your previous tire size or go to the service center and have them fix. If you aren't running a square setup though the computer might not like it.

This is common across nearly all manufacturers today.

You replaced just the rear. Suddenly, the ratio of rotational speed between the front and rear tires has changed because the rear now has a larger circumference (due to less wear), require less turns to go the same distance.

Though a small change, traction control systems detect these small changes in order to quickly react to low-traction situations. Under acceleration, the slight torsion is just enough to fall outside of expected parameters and considers your vehicle in a low-traction situation.

Sometimes a TPMS reset procedure resets the "proper" relationships between each wheel's speed (depends on make/model). Not sure if this works with Tesla. Would recommend a quick call-in to service and see what they recommend.

EDIT: Also, I echo the above excellent advice: rotate your tires more often in the future, especially if you find the rears wearing out very fast.

Reactions: MountainRatMat
Here are the photos if it helps. I dont have a tire measuring tool.

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011132113024_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011132113024_COVER.jpg
    544.1 KB · Views: 110
  • 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011132144522_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191011132144522_COVER.jpg
    493.8 KB · Views: 54