Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tires with Higher Efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I edited my post to ask the same thing. Now, i'm confused as to what the OP is referring to with lower load rating.
The speed rating can be lower as long as you and every driver don't exceed it (in particular, winter tires often have a lower speed rating). This is often hard to do although valet mode when anyone other than yourself is driving is about the only way to enforce it.

Also, my experience with those Michelin Energy Saver tires is that they don't last as long as the Michelin Primacy.

Reactions: P-Lo801
The speed rating can be lower as long as you and every driver don't exceed it (in particular, winter tires often have a lower speed rating). This is often hard to do although valet mode when anyone other than yourself is driving is about the only way to enforce it.

Also, my experience with those Michelin Energy Saver tires is that they don't last as long as the Michelin Primacy.

Okay, so that was the information I was referring to when I was told it was fine upon purchasing my current set. I'm still confused, though, what the OP's concern is over the "less load rating"?

When it comes to LRR tires, I spent hours and hours of research and I’ve been at this since my 2011 Nissan Leaf, I’m keeping the OEM Primacy MXM4, these are the most efficient on the market still. The only ones that would beat these are the Brigstone Ecopia’s 422 which are used by the Nissan Leaf, but they don’t make these Ecopia’s in our size. My lifetime wh/mi is like 247, why mess with that.

Fred

Reactions: P-Lo801 and jerry33
When it comes to LRR tires, I spent hours and hours of research and I’ve been at this since my 2011 Nissan Leaf, I’m keeping the OEM Primacy MXM4, these are the most efficient on the market still. The only ones that would beat these are the Brigstone Ecopia’s 422 which are used by the Nissan Leaf, but they don’t make these Ecopia’s in our size. My lifetime wh/mi is like 247, why mess with that.

Fred
Agreed. They also seem more flat resistant than many other tires. 85S, last entry before reset. Jul_5_2019.jpg

I’m keeping the OEM Primacy MXM4, these are the most efficient on the market still. The only ones that would beat these are the Brigstone Ecopia’s 422 which are used by the Nissan Leaf,
"The Energy Saver A/S is Michelin North America's most fuel-efficient All-Season Passenger car tire developed for the drivers of hybrid and fuel-efficient passenger cars that want to exploit their vehicle's fuel economy without abandoning dry, wet and wintertime traction."

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ver+A/S&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=345VR8ESAS

Reactions: polyphonic54
Last edited:
Reactions: polyphonic54

ah, I see it now. So OP is concerned that the PureContact LS have a load rating of 1477lbs versus the OE MXM4's 1653lbs.

In that case to OP, I recommend these that I was also considering replacing my aero tires with eventually, and they're rated the same:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...utoModel=Model 3&autoModClar=Rear-Wheel Drive

OE 20" PS4S tires are rated XL and 50 PSI.

94 is greater than 92, but these aren't XL and the max PSI of 44 precludes filling to Tesla's specified pressure: 45PSI.
All true. I am engineer and understand the risks, but these standards are made for easy (no consideration) comparison and I totally understand why someone would not want to run this tire.

All tires are optimized to different criteria. If you want the longest range possible, reducing the load rating of the tire is a viable option to get there. Many would not make that choice. Some would think that a narrower tire is a better solution to maximize range, which would also reduce grip and stopping distance. I'd argue that solution is a much more significant compromise to their safety than being just over the wrong side of the load limit, which BTW also has a very healthy safety factor.

I'm at around 24.5k and my MXM4s are down to 3.5/32. Trying to find a new set of tires to get that will last a little longer and have the same efficiency if not better. I've been digging and googling for hours and I've seen comparisons, but not as much on efficiency. I drive 20k a year and really don't wanna lose out on range or have to replace yearly. Anyone have any recommendations that they've had luck with?

What size wheels?
I have found that not all tires variants/style are available for both 18" and 19". I have had success with Michelin Energy Savers on other cars, but not available for the 19" LR RWD - wish they were.

There's a lot of criticism for the MXM4 Primacy, but this is one instance where I think the Tesla engineers really knew what they were doing.
MXM4 is fairly middle of the road in wet and snow, but overall it's a great tire for the Model 3, albiet expensive. Quiet, eco, XL load, decent grip. Every tire is a trade off of some sort.

I just replaced the MXM4 with the Pilot Sport All Season 4 after 21,000 miles and an exhaustive search. Efficiency is down, grip is far improved, noise is up slightly, but overall.. it makes me appreciate the MXM4. If you don't mind spending the $, my vote is another set.

There is a big spreadsheet of tires for Model 3 on Reddit (pops up right away if you google it). You might want to reference that, but take it all with a giant grain of salt. I read many individual tire reviews that contradicted the findings. (e.g. CC+ is quite noisy despite its noise ranking on Tirerack, Pilot Sport A/S is far better than the ranking at Reddit, they have the MXM4 literally last on the list... lol)

Reactions: Paul-K
I replaced the original tires after 21K miles with Michelin CrossClimate. They were on sale at Costco and after a few hundred miles the energy use is pretty much the same as the originals. But the stability and handling is (subjectively) a good deal better. Noise is not much if ant louder than the original, foam filled tires. And they have a 42K mile treadwear warranty, we'll see how long the tires last but I hope more than 21K miles. All in all in all a good tire for the M3.
imageService

MICHELIN CROSSCLIMATE+ 235/45R18 98Y XL BSW ALL WEATHER TIRE

Item #1292978

$209.99

Quantity

Reactions: ranova and ejohan