TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Tires

Discussion in 'Model S' started by scottflys, Oct 4, 2018.

1. scottflys

scottflys Member

Had a blow out and it was time to get new tires anyway, what are you guys using?
    Tesla has Conti's Extremes,
    Conti Sports, which they are recommending or Michelins Sports.

Thanks

2. jddssc121

jddssc121 Member

I like the PSS tires, personally.....

3. hsctiger93

hsctiger93 Member

Seem to get better ride and more miles out of the Continentals than I did the Michelins. Have the extremes I think. Will probably stay with them until convinced otherwise...

4. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I swear by the Michelin Primacy MXM4. Great performance, reasonable price and longevity.

5. Chancellor32

Chancellor32 Member

same with the Michelin Primacy Mxm4!

6. bkp_duke

bkp_duke Active Member

Looking at the OP's avatar, it appears he has 21" rims. The MXM4 will not fit.

7. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

I'm glad you swear "by" them. The wife was swearing "at" them. I love Michelin and have always used their tires for DECADES on all my cars. So when it came time several months ago to put new tires on the X, I naturally chose this one.

Immediately we noticed more road noise. After a couple of days, the wife asked if we could change them. Hesitantly I went back and suggested maybe we just go back to the original Continental brand. The dealer was really nice about it and teased me to try Pirelli tires for the model X. BIG difference in road noise to us. Even quieter than the original tires. Also good performance and great price. 5 months now and still love them. Of course I still am a fan of Michelin and always will be, but just not on the X.

8. ClarkJoeKent

ClarkJoeKent Member

P7’s?

9. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

When you switch the tires, do they now come with the inner sound dampening material or is it a task of the tire service to add this into the tire?

10. Naekuh

Naekuh Member

#10 Naekuh, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
    i honestly think this question really needs to ask what size your rims are....

If your on the 21's your very limited to what you can get.
    If you have 19's the sky's the limit.

That being said, i am on 21's so i hear nothing but praise for Michillian Super Sports.
    Although i had to replace one after only 3k miles, because i ran over a concrete rebar sticking out or some sort.
    The hole was very big and unpatchable. :\

Was not too happy that the tire alone costed me 400 dollars tho.. :T

If i was on 19's tho, i absolutely love goodyear eagles f1.
    They however do not wear very nicely, and are quite extreme in that new tire vs used tire feel immediately.
    (meaning when they are new, they grip like no other... as they get used, it feels like a normal tire and very quickly degrade to not so great.)

I also like Conti's, they feel pretty much the same thoughout its entire life, same with bridgestones.
    Yokohama's and Perelli's Zero's are also good from what i hear.

If you want budget and dont care too much about top handling but still want a good tire, Hankook are not bad either.

I do not like BFgoodridge, or dunlops.... i like to hear my music, and not the road noise...

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  11. Keith909man

Keith909man Member

12. Silicon Desert

No, I got the Pirelli Scorprio Verde A/S Plus

• Like x 1
  13. Silicon Desert

What? I never heard of that, but then again, I certainly am no tire expert. How would a dealer add dampening material without it offsetting the balance of the tire?

14. MacGreiner

They are terrible in the wet.

15. Silicon Desert

Which ones are you talking about? Michelin or Pirelli? Actually, I have not noticed much of any issue with either tires when yet.

• Like x 1
  16. MacGreiner

Michelin Primacy MXM4

• Informative x 1
  17. Jan Fiala

Jan Fiala Member

In the tires at least for X, there is a sound dampening material inserted into the tire.

Do the new oem tires come already with that or the tire installer add this?

• Informative x 1
  18. jorobsand

jorobsand Member

New OEM tires come with the dampening material. My December 2017 Model S came with the acoustic tires. You can identify them on the Michelins with this logo:

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  19. Silicon Desert

20. Silicon Desert

ny video
    Funny video.... and informative. I was aware of some tires having a foam although never seen it. I was just wondering about the posting of another person asking if quieting foam is added by a dealer. That is what I never heard about. Sounds like it would be too easy to change the balance of the tire if not done evenly....... just guessing.