Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Titan T-S5 purchase consideration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be cancelling my order on martian wheels.

Looking at the Titan 19" 9 width. The Martians suggested a 235/40/19. Titan says it will fit as a stretch, but recommend 255/35/19.

I have the tires on order from discount. Pirelli PZero AS Plus select. You think this tire will work well. Or cancel it. They don't make tires sized with 255/35/19 so I would have to select something different.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

Looking at the Titan 19" 9 width. The Martians suggested a 235/40/19. Titan says it will fit as a stretch, but recommend 255/35/19.

I have the tires on order from discount. Pirelli PZero AS Plus select. You think this tire will work well. Or cancel it. They don't make tires sized with 255/35/19 so I would have to select something different.
Which Model 3 trim do you have? Do you have the Performance? Just curious what your priorities are for the wheels and tires?

Do you want better handling? Better efficiency? Better acceleration? Better ride comfort? Better wheel protection from potholes? The answer to those questions will determine what would work best for your situation.

Reactions: gearchruncher
Which Model 3 trim do you have? Do you have the Performance? Just curious what your priorities are for the wheels and tires?

Do you want better handling? Better efficiency? Better acceleration? Better ride comfort? Better wheel protection from potholes? The answer to those questions will determine what would work best for your situation.
I have the performance model. Wanting better protection from potholes with better efficiency. Thanks

I have the performance model. Wanting better protection from potholes with better efficiency. Thanks

18" would give even more pothole protection, but I think 19" should be fine. We hear lots and lots of people with busted 20" wheels, not many with busted 19" wheels.

Efficiency difference between wheels is very small, but going with a wider tire could hurt efficiency. As always it is the rolling resistance and width of tire that is the main driver of efficiency, not the weight or diameter of the wheels. However, in smaller diameters you can usually find more options in low rolling resistance tires.

• Informative
18" would give even more pothole protection, but I think 19" should be fine. We hear lots and lots of people with busted 20" wheels, not many with busted 19" wheels.

Efficiency difference between wheels is very small, but going with a wider tire could hurt efficiency. As always it is the rolling resistance and width of tire that is the main driver of efficiency, not the weight or diameter of the wheels. However, in smaller diameters you can usually find more options in low rolling resistance tires.
What Jackmott said is absolutely correct. I will also add that the 255/35/19 tires will be 1/2 an inch shorter in diameter than the stock tires. That might not help efficiency at all.

I have to recommend 18” wheels for pothole protection. 19” wheels will probably be good enough but 18” wheels with 45 series tires pretty much guarantees you won’t have bent rim issues with potholes. Curbs are another thing altogether.

I went with 18” T Sportline TS5 wheels and Michelin PS4S tires. I got them when T Sportline was offering a significant discount so wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors were about $3,100 shipped. Honestly, that is a fantastic deal for wheels that are plug and play.

I think they look great too but I know there are plenty of people that hate the look of a taller tire.

782742FA-3872-4BEB-A364-EF12F71FAE07.jpeg

I am seeing MASSIVE improvements in several areas with these new wheels and tires. I am working on a video that explains it all now.

What Jackmott said is absolutely correct. I will also add that the 255/35/19 tires will be 1/2 an inch shorter in diameter than the stock tires. That might not help efficiency at all.

I have to recommend 18” wheels for pothole protection. 19” wheels will probably be good enough but 18” wheels with 45 series tires pretty much guarantees you won’t have bent rim issues with potholes. Curbs are another thing altogether.

I went with 18” T Sportline TS5 wheels and Michelin PS4S tires. I got them when T Sportline was offering a significant discount so wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors were about $3,100 shipped. Honestly, that is a fantastic deal for wheels that are plug and play.

I think they look great too but I know there are plenty of people that hate the look of a taller tire.

View attachment 821823

I am seeing MASSIVE improvements in several areas with these new wheels and tires. I am working on a video that explains it all now.

Would you like some steak sauce to go with all that MEAT. Lol it looks pretty good to me. Helps that the PS4S is a great looking tire. I'm sticking with 20s for the look but 19s would be a nice compromise.

• Funny

a bunch of people on the forum are running 255/40/19's. no issues.

PXL_20220623_154513859.jpg

2.6% taller, is it possible to get the speedo/odo to read correctly? Not that 2.6% is the end of the world.
Would be a little suboptimal for handling, but maybe slightly good for high speed power and getting up steep driveways!

What I assume you're talking about is allowing you to select between one factory tire size and the others, it does not allow you to select non factory tire sizes or input any tire size you want in order to correct for a 2.6% difference in diameter. All the 3 factory tire sizes are very close to one another in diameter.
Pretty sure those wheel/tire selections on the screen only adjust range estimation. If you change to less or more efficient tires you can try to pick the combo in there that matches yours closest.

@bknuts By factory you mean Tesla? Or Titan7?

You can reuse your original open-ended lug nuts, no need to buy new ones if you don't want to. Put caps on them to look nicer and keep grime off the exposed lug surfaces.

Here's my 18x8.5" Satin Titanium T-S5 wheels with stock lug nuts covered by an $8 set of caps from Amazon. I was going for color matching and I think it turned out pretty well. If you hold these $8 caps in your hand they look and feel as cheap as they cost, but if you're getting that close to my wheels you need to back off... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Vosarea-Hexagonal-Wheel-Covers-Protect/dp/B07N85C7H2

lug_nut_caps.jpg

Edit: While the caps take only seconds to pull off or put back on by hand (no grabbing tool needed), if you'll be swapping wheels frequently I'd still avoid them just because they're one more step and one more thing to lose track of in a rush. Would be worth getting nicer looking aftermarket lug nuts instead, ones long enough (capped or open) to thoroughly cover all the lug threads.

I'm not swapping / dismounting wheels that often though so I'm happy with them. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Subie2M3
I had a pothole force my hand on new rims and like the 18 look as much as the 19 look but like the price better. With that said, I like the idea of increasing the overall diameter slightly, but don't know much about tire sizes. What can I do to get a tick up in GPS speed? Currently, Car says 60 and I'm going 58, so this could help.

Also, where can I find the Tesla caps? I searched for "cap" on the Tesla shop and only found the non-circle cap for the aero and performance wheels.

Final dumb question - I could transfer the TPMS sensors over from my old wheels, but is there a way to change the color on the stems for those? I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get new black TPMS sensors. Any recommendations on good ones on eBay or Amazon?

I had a pothole force my hand on new rims and like the 18 look as much as the 19 look but like the price better. With that said, I like the idea of increasing the overall diameter slightly, but don't know much about tire sizes. What can I do to get a tick up in GPS speed? Currently, Car says 60 and I'm going 58, so this could help.

Also, where can I find the Tesla caps? I searched for "cap" on the Tesla shop and only found the non-circle cap for the aero and performance wheels.

Final dumb question - I could transfer the TPMS sensors over from my old wheels, but is there a way to change the color on the stems for those? I'm thinking I should bite the bullet and get new black TPMS sensors. Any recommendations on good ones on eBay or Amazon?

I called TireRack this morning and they told me for my 2018 Model 3 Performance, the largest size I can get is 245/45R18. I found a configurator that said 235/50R18 would probably correct my speed limit, but the TR Sales said their system shows that would rub.