Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Titan T-S5 purchase consideration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I called TireRack this morning and they told me for my 2018 Model 3 Performance, the largest size I can get is 245/45R18. I found a configurator that said 235/50R18 would probably correct my speed limit, but the TR Sales said their system shows that would rub.
@CoolBuddy I think that's all good advice. I expect 235/50R18 would rub. 245/45R18 is a safe size and what I'm running on my 18x8.5" ET35 Titan7 wheels with M3P PUP rotors.

Reactions: CoolBuddy
I have another question. I just talked with someone from Titan and they said I'd scratch the rims if I tried to use the Tesla lug nuts on them. He recommended 14 x 1.5 conical/cone seat/60 deg taper acorn style. What have you guys used? Also, what length looks good and is still functional?

I have another question. I just talked with someone from Titan and they said I'd scratch the rims if I tried to use the Tesla lug nuts on them. He recommended 14 x 1.5 conical/cone seat/60 deg taper acorn style. What have you guys used? Also, what length looks good and is still functional?
You can use OEM lugnuts if you want. The Titan wheel emulates the OEM cone seat and opening for Tesla and can take a 21mm impact socket. I have them all at our place to measure up and size. We prefer using the OEM lugnut for motorsports. If you do get something aftermarket make sure it has a nice deep seat to it. A lot are very shallow but Tesla lugnut seat is quite deep.

• Helpful
Reactions: CoolBuddy and tm1v2
Here's the Titan 7 T-S5 18 x 8.5 with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 245/45R18. My speed limit is now only off by 1 mph
20220810_122121.jpg

Here's another angle from the same wheel:
20220810_122141.jpg

I ended up going with the expensive lug nuts OWL Titanium Onyx from Titan7. They are lightweight lug nuts.

Last edited:
@bknuts By factory you mean Tesla? Or Titan7?

You can reuse your original open-ended lug nuts, no need to buy new ones if you don't want to. Put caps on them to look nicer and keep grime off the exposed lug surfaces.

Here's my 18x8.5" Satin Titanium T-S5 wheels with stock lug nuts covered by an $8 set of caps from Amazon. I was going for color matching and I think it turned out pretty well. If you hold these $8 caps in your hand they look and feel as cheap as they cost, but if you're getting that close to my wheels you need to back off... ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Vosarea-Hexagonal-Wheel-Covers-Protect/dp/B07N85C7H2

View attachment 828346

Edit: While the caps take only seconds to pull off or put back on by hand (no grabbing tool needed), if you'll be swapping wheels frequently I'd still avoid them just because they're one more step and one more thing to lose track of in a rush. Would be worth getting nicer looking aftermarket lug nuts instead, ones long enough (capped or open) to thoroughly cover all the lug threads.

I'm not swapping / dismounting wheels that often though so I'm happy with them. :)
Do you have a picture with the OEM Tesla lug nuts, without the covers?

I thought this might be insightful for those interested. I snapped a picture of the 19x9 TS5 next to a 19x9.5 TS5. I'll snap some more later this week. The purpose of this image was to show off the difference in spoke profile. You can see the "waterfall" on the spoke towards the center of the wheel is more aggressive on the 9.5" wheel that's to the right.

Titan 7 TS5 1990 vs 1995.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2