Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Florida - Confused about I95 express lane stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We recently moved to Florida from the midwest and brought our 2013 S85 with us.

First, I called SunPass and got the external transponder since my Tesla is one of the older ones. Was able to install it myself after watching a couple of youtube videos, no problem.

Then I wanted to have free access to the I95 and hopefully soon I75 express lanes. Following the instructions on the I95 express web site, I went to the DMV office to fill out the form and get an HOV sticker, which is green. Put the green sticker on my car window as directed. Then I got a warning letter from the I95 express lane people and realized that there is another step to register as an electric vehicle once you get an HOV sticker, so I went to the I95 express web site, registered again as a hybrid/electric vehicle, and got a different orange sticker in the mail a few days later. It also came with a shield bag for my transponder and some wording saying if I forget to shield the transponder I am liable for any tolls. Not sure how one goes about shielding the externally mounted transponder...

I guess my questions are:

- Should I display the green sticker, the orange sticker, or both? Seems like sticker overkill.
- Has anybody had problems being assessed tolls for not shielding the transponder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Funny
Reactions: Bwdavis99
You have it all correct. There are two distinct processes. The I95 express lanes one is for the I95 expresss lanes in Miami-Dade, and must have the transponder shielded in order to work, otherwise the transponder will be charged. I have the remote transponder and have been regularly charged. Frankly I just removed the ugly stickers and pay. I'm always ok with express lanes anyway because of high occupancy, but the I95 stretch is a paid route, not truly an HOV lane.

Does this make sense? Probably not, but I am inured to lack of consistency from governments.

Reactions: UltradoomY
those inconsistencies are caused by local/county governments.
And also by national ones.:( My counts were not limited to Florida. There are similar things everywhere I have lived or worked, >12 countries, >6 US States. I cannot name anywhere that does not have illogical and inconsistent rules. That said Florida does have more than it's fair share of absurdities, a number of which are built to benefit people like me, who really do not really need the perks.

For the convoluted process of getting this all done and very limited number of time I use I-95 express, I decided not to go though the process and just pay the toll.

As per tolls. If I understand the process correctly, if you don't shield your SunPass - they will charge it even if you have one or both stickers on your car. Shielding the SunPass forces the system to use toll by plate process which can also link the HOV stickers and not charge you the toll. If you mounted your SunPass under the bumper, then shielding will be out of the questions. What you need to do is call SunPass and request the tolls refunded, but you need to do so within 30 days of the toll. If you decide to completely remove the SunPass so your car is always processed via toll by plate process, then you're running a risk of being charged $25 admin fee on certain roads that require SunPass

First, I called SunPass and got the external transponder since my Tesla is one of the older ones. Was able to install it myself after watching a couple of youtube videos, no problem.

Then I wanted to have free access to the I95 and hopefully soon I75 express lanes. Following the instructions on the I95 express web site, I went to the DMV office to fill out the form and get an HOV sticker, which is green. Put the green sticker on my car window as directed. Then I got a warning letter from the I95 express lane people and realized that there is another step to register as an electric vehicle once you get an HOV sticker, so I went to the I95 express web site, registered again as a hybrid/electric vehicle, and got a different orange sticker in the mail a few days later. It also came with a shield bag for my transponder and some wording saying if I forget to shield the transponder I am liable for any tolls. Not sure how one goes about shielding the externally mounted transponder...

- Should I display the green sticker, the orange sticker, or both? Seems like sticker overkill.
- Has anybody had problems being assessed tolls for not shielding the transponder?

Welcome to Florida.

I used to have one of the earlier Signature Model Ss. Based on advice I received on this forum I learned that if I Velcroed one of the portable transponders (the one with the suction cups) to the back of the rear view mirror stalk that it worked to communicate with the SunPass readers. Since it's Velcroed to the interior of the car and not mounted in an inaccessible location, it is possible to easily remove it from the stalk and shield it when needed to travel on the I-95 express lanes.

By the way, if you are interested in joining our Florida Tesla club, please click on the link to Florida Tesla Enthusiasts in my signature.

Larry

The 95 Express sticker should be placed in the front windshield on the driver's side. It will be read by the express lanes cameras on I-95 in Miami-Dade and you should not be charged a toll - even if you don't shield the transponder. It worked that way for me over the past 12 years, first with my hybrid, now with my X. The HOV sticker can be hidden or not shown at all, as the 95 Express cameras don't image the back of your vehicle.

If you have the fixed transponder behind the nosecone you will get charged no matter what stickers you have.

If you want to take advantage of the free EV HOV benefit on I-95 you will need to submit your surpass statement via fax to (561) 470-6606. They will review your account and confirm your are registered then credit you back.

Jason

The 95 Express sticker should be placed in the front windshield on the driver's side. It will be read by the express lanes cameras on I-95 in Miami-Dade and you should not be charged a toll - even if you don't shield the transponder. It worked that way for me over the past 12 years, first with my hybrid, now with my X. The HOV sticker can be hidden or not shown at all, as the 95 Express cameras don't image the back of your vehicle.
Thanks - I never heard about the method you use, but I'll give it a try.

I have an un-shielded transponder behind my nosecone. Two years ago, I was getting the 95 Express exemption while being registered with 95 Express but not having the sticker on my car. That stopped working so I now just pay the bill.

Question - You say "the 95 Express cameras" don't image the back of your vehicle. Are the 95 Express cameras different cameras from the SunPass cameras that do image the back of your vehicle so they can do toll-by-plate?

Thanks - I never heard about the method you use, but I'll give it a try.

I have an un-shielded transponder behind my nosecone. Two years ago, I was getting the 95 Express exemption while being registered with 95 Express but not having the sticker on my car. That stopped working so I now just pay the bill.

Question - You say "the 95 Express cameras" don't image the back of your vehicle. Are the 95 Express cameras different cameras from the SunPass cameras that do image the back of your vehicle so they can do toll-by-plate?
I'm not sure if they are different cameras, but the 95Express programs stresses that you place the 95Express sticker (which is almost as gaudy as the HOV sticker) on the driver-side windshield. So the 95Express must be positioned for the frontal view.

I'm not sure if they are different cameras, but the 95Express programs stresses that you place the 95Express sticker (which is almost as gaudy as the HOV sticker) on the driver-side windshield. So the 95Express must be positioned for the frontal view.
I saw the instructions say the sticker must be placed on the inside lower left windshield, but the instructions also said "...it is essential that you properly disable the transponder otherwise the tolls will be debited from your SunPass account".

I didn't realize the presence of the 95Express sticker would override the automated transponder debit.

I wonder if the detection of the 95Express sticker is done by automated image recognition in sync with the SunPass transponder reading of the moving vehicle. Very impressive feat if it is. I also wonder why mine worked for so long without a sticker or shielding.

Thank you for your inquiry on the Florida Express Lanes website.
The 95 express lanes in South Florida were implemented by converting HOV lanes into express lanes. Therefore, registered carpools, hybrids, and ILEVs are exempt from the toll on the 95 express lanes in South Florida only. There are no other HOV lanes in Florida. The express lanes being implemented in other areas of the state do not have these exemptions.

The date on that Newspaper article is Dec 2014.

With Sept 2017 only a week away, you would think there would be some recent news about the program ending.

I stand corrected, they extended it to 2019, and possibly will extend again.

Barbara Kelleher with the Florida Department of Transportation explained the program.

“Yes. There is a way for people who are in registered carpools, van pools and then hybrid owners.”

It has to do with history. Before we had express lanes, 95 had high-occupancy vehicle, or HOV lanes. You had to have two or more people in the car or drive a hybrid to use them. Since the HOV lanes were replaced with express lanes, carpoolers and hybrid owners get to now use the Express lanes for free.

“We will give you a sticker. You will put it on the back window of that vehicle and then you can use the I-95 express lanes without having to pay a toll,” explained Kelleher.

To purchase a Hybrid vehicle you will shell out $2500 to $10,000 more. But you’ll save in gas over time and if you use 95 Express you’ll be flying past traffic for free. It may be 95’s best-kept secret. Roughly 3,800 hybrid owners have signed up for the program, which is fairly easy to do.

• It requires a trip to the DMV to register your Hybrid with the state.
  • You’ll get a decal that allows you use HOV lanes whenever you want.
  • Once you have your decal, you will have to register it online to use 95 Express for free.
What’s the catch? Does it sound too good to be true? Kelleher didn’t seem to think so. “Well it’s there. It is available.”

There is one thing you should know. The 95 Express hybrid program is set to expire in 2019. But it may be extended. Such was the case this year. Also, both of the programs require you to register every year. For MDX there is actually a cut off to register. This year it’s March 31st.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2017/02/06/how-to-save-money-on-tolls/ February 6, 2017 CBS station report

I finally got the process done for mine and spouse's about 2 months ago. So far no charges for express lanes on sunpass account (shows expln $0.00). Neither of us have either sticked displayed.

So I believe (hope) you are correct that the stickers are not needed.

Reactions: mikeahh
I finally got the process done for mine and spouse's about 2 months ago. So far no charges for express lanes on sunpass account (shows expln $0.00). Neither of us have either sticked displayed.

So I believe (hope) you are correct that the stickers are not needed.
Can you confirm that you were able to continue using the express lanes without either sticker and just covering the transponder not charged or penalized?