Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to me 2013 P85+

ddawson

Oct 16, 2019
Lincoln, CA
1st electric car for me and I love it.

My 1st question is the Gen 1 plug doesn't fit my electric dryer outlet which I don't use. I see Tesla has them for the Gen 2 but were can I find a Gen 1 adapter.

It sits on T Sportline 20x9.0" Front, 20x10" Rear and seems to have all the options per the CPO paperwork in the glovebox.

Reactions: Blup85

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going to LR"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Sorry did not answer your question. If an adapter for your dryer outlet is not available, then you might change the outlet to a plug configuration for which Tesla sells an adapter. I am guessing the dryer has a 30A 220-240V circuit properly installed and permitted, but check to be sure.

For now, just plug into a standard NEMA 5-15 three prong grounded outlet, which will let you draw 12A and about 3 miles of range an hour.

For upgrade info to getting a higher charge rate, see the Tesla tap website under charging.

Just get the minimum you need for daily use, unless you are far from a SC, or drive a lot.

aerodyne

Nose cone car - "Going to LR"
Nov 19, 2018
Los Angeles
Hmm....drove one in my mispent youth in the 70's....

But, did you check the Gen 1 adapters in the Tesla store? There are like 6 of them...

For the same money as an adapter, you could change the outlet provided the wiring and circuit breaker are appropriate.

I charge at 27A, 20RM per hour. Plenty for me, but I am less than 20 min from a SC, and have FUSC for life of the car..

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
I like to have as much amperage available as possible but that said even here near Green Bay I got by on a dryer 10-30 (3prong 30amp) a yearoutlet for, yours is likely a 14-30 (4prong 30amp) is the newer version.
As stated Tesla sells the adapter for this.
Highly unlikely the wiring will support a standard 14-50 and illegal if the current breaker does.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC