Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Model S and Autopilot: My most significant issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am new to Model S and this forum. I have had my car about a week and have been using autopilot almost everyday. I have seen many of the little nuances mentioned in several posts. My biggest issue that I have not really seen anyone else talk about is the fact that it does not recognize cars in adjacent lanes (right or left) until they are about 30 feet in front of me. So, if a car is only a few feet up to about 30 feet in front of me in an adjacent lane and they make a lane change to my lane, the car does not see them until they are almost completely in my lane. I'm almost thinking I have a hardware problem on my car for this to occur. Has anyone else experienced this?

I am new to Model S and this forum. I have had my car about a week and have been using autopilot almost everyday. I have seen many of the little nuances mentioned in several posts. My biggest issue that I have not really seen anyone else talk about is the fact that it does not recognize cars in adjacent lanes (right or left) until they are about 30 feet in front of me. So, if a car is only a few feet up to about 30 feet in front of me in an adjacent lane and they make a lane change to my lane, the car does not see them until they are almost completely in my lane. I'm almost thinking I have a hardware problem on my car for this to occur. Has anyone else experienced this?

It's definitely slow to recognize merging cars right now - I dealt with that by using 3 or 4 spacing in heavy traffic and accepting that I'll get cut in on (not happily accepting, but AP is worth the annoyance.)

Firmware 8 should help with this quite a bit - one of the specific items mentioned in the blog post is better recognition of merging cars through turn signal recognition, and the broader use of radar where the camera hasn't identified a car should help too.

Hi Adkisonic, I too am a recent owner. My Model S was delivered with the 8.0 upgrade and it seems to catch those lane changers pretty well. My biggest gripe is going up over sharp rises at about 50-55 mph. The systems seems to lose sight of the road lines and tracks hard left even into oncoming traffic. So my fix is to hold the wheel hard when coming over a sharp hill and break it out of AP if necessary. I suppose I could also JUST uses it on the freeways and flat open roads like it is designed for...