Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Tesla, question/suggestions on installing NEMA 14-50R

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a HPWC or a mobile connector?

If mobile connector, then 14-50 outlet is a good choice.

If HPWC, consider getting one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0044UOC2O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
or
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00002N5IS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
Run a 6/3 wire to this box next to your HPWC, then another 6/3 wire from this box to your HPWC
These are only 60A, so if you want anything higher, then search for one with a higher A rating and of course higher gauge wire.
This way, you have a cheap kill switch right next to your HPWC, and it is cheaper than a junction box/14-50 outlet plug.
Currently I only got mobile connector, so yes to 14-50. where can still buy HPWC with 14-50? Ebay?

Currently I only got mobile connector, so yes to 14-50. where can still buy HPWC with 14-50? Ebay?
I leave my mobile connector in my car at all times. I had an HPWC that I converted to a 14-50 using a dryer cord. The HPWC got fried because I think the copper wires were too thin. I switched to a direct connection using a 6/3 wire and the kill switch in the other post. The 6/3 wire uses bigger twisted copper strands so I don't think my new HPWC will fry again.
If you don't have an HPWC and you only have 1 tesla, then your UMC on a 14-50 is fine. I needed the HPWC because of its longer cable to reach both of my cars.

The 240v outlet will just be underneath my electric panel, so easy drywall work, no need to drill stud.

I got:

nema 14-50r outlet
6/3 wire
Junction box
Square D 50 amp 2 holes circuit breaker
Clamp connectors/ brushing
Conduit to project the wire
Just to point out something about this kind of install. I also put my outlet directly below the panel, so I didn't have to cross any studs and could keep it entirely in-wall, straight down. Since you said 6/3, I assume you mean bundled cable with the rubber sheath around all the wires together, right? Commonly known as Romex. That is meant to be directly inside walls, so you will have no use at all for any conduit.

Just to point out something about this kind of install. I also put my outlet directly below the panel, so I didn't have to cross any studs and could keep it entirely in-wall, straight down. Since you said 6/3, I assume you mean bundled cable with the rubber sheath around all the wires together, right? Commonly known as Romex. That is meant to be directly inside walls, so you will have no use at all for any conduit.
You are absolutely right, I got Romex 6/3 wire. I wasn’t sure about the conduit thing, just saw people did on line, it’s not harm to have an extra protection right? Unless it raises safety issue.

it’s not harm to have an extra protection right? Unless it raises safety issue.
Well...I just don't know what code says about bundled cable, in conduit, inside a wall. I'm not sure if that's allowed. If it's a place that needs conduit, like along the outside surface of a wall, then you can go ahead and run cable through that, or individual wires. But the normal practice for an entirely inside a wall installation is just the cable, so I don't think I would want to do something abnormal like putting the conduit in the wall, unless there really was a good reason, and I knew code would allow that.

The downside that's possibly a safety issue that you're not thinking of is that the more layers of stuff you wrap around the wire, that is trapping more and more heat and not letting it dissipate. Cable already has a reduced current rating because the wires are wrapped tightly together (insulated) instead of with free air around them in a conduit. So wrapped in a rubber sheath(1) and inside conduit(2) and inside a wall space with insulation around it(3) are just building up layers of how much lack of air flow it will have to spread out that heat. Standard install would only have #1 and #3.

Reactions: Hwood
Well...I just don't know what code says about bundled cable, in conduit, inside a wall. I'm not sure if that's allowed. If it's a place that needs conduit, like along the outside surface of a wall, then you can go ahead and run cable through that, or individual wires. But the normal practice for an entirely inside a wall installation is just the cable, so I don't think I would want to do something abnormal like putting the conduit in the wall, unless there really was a good reason, and I knew code would allow that.

The downside that's possibly a safety issue that you're not thinking of is that the more layers of stuff you wrap around the wire, that is trapping more and more heat and not letting it dissipate. Cable already has a reduced current rating because the wires are wrapped tightly together (insulated) instead of with free air around them in a conduit. So wrapped in a rubber sheath(1) and inside conduit(2) and inside a wall space with insulation around it(3) are just building up layers of how much lack of air flow it will have to spread out that heat. Standard install would only have #1 and #3.
Thanks for the explanation. I agree with what you said that is making sense. It actually saves me some efforts to put on the conduit :)