Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Tesla... Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for a CPO Tesla. There are several listed with local or do you were ships, but the dealership seems unfamiliar enough to tell me exactly what features the vehicle has. Is there an “about“ screen that I can access in the car to tell me what features and upgrades it has?

I want to make sure I get 82, that’s my primary concern. I would also like to know if the software has been updated for enhanced driving or not. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but how could I find this out on the car?

Also, do I understand correctly? A 2016 car is pretty much the same vehicle is a 2017 or 2018. Once a AP2 happened, there have been no other significant or cosmetic changes. Is that right?

Thank you in advance…

Welcome to the forum!
We may need a little clarification on what information you are seeking. If you are buying a used (CPO) model from Tesla directly, all the details should be available on their website (or other great third party sites like www.ev-cpo.com). If you are looking at a traditional used car dealership, then you are at the mercy of the details of their posting. With a quick Google search, you can find a Tesla VIN decoder, which should give you some of the options for a specific car if you have the VIN number available.

You can also try to contact Tesla with the VIN number to see what options are enabled, but that can be hit or miss on what information they are willing to share with non-owners.

There is a pretty significant difference (in terms of future capabilities) between AP1 and AP2/2.5 - my own Model S only has AP1, and I am not eligible for the hardware upgrade that would enable Full Self Driving in the future, where the AP2 and beyond are eligible. There are also more subtle differences throughout the years, as to which options were included in specific packages.

My best advice would be to share the details on the vehicle you are interested in, and let others here with a great amount of experience share some thoughts and notes on what you are actually looking at.

Happy hunting!

I am in the market for a CPO Tesla. There are several listed with local or do you were ships, but the dealership seems unfamiliar enough to tell me exactly what features the vehicle has. Is there an “about“ screen that I can access in the car to tell me what features and upgrades it has?

I want to make sure I get 82, that’s my primary concern. I would also like to know if the software has been updated for enhanced driving or not. It’s not a dealbreaker for me, but how could I find this out on the car?

Also, do I understand correctly? A 2016 car is pretty much the same vehicle is a 2017 or 2018. Once a AP2 happened, there have been no other significant or cosmetic changes. Is that right?

Thank you in advance…
First there is no such thing as a Tesla CPO. There are only used Tesla's.

I know of no way to obtain a list of options on the car until you own it and have the car transferred to your Tesla account. If you can get the original owner to give you copy a of his build sheet or window sticker would be another way.

2016, 2017 and 2018 cars have some different options and standard equipment. AP2 was upgraded to AP2.5 I believe on late 2017 builds. Cameras and repeaters are different. 2016 cars are all MCU1. Newer cars have MCU2.

The MCU will display Model, VIN, mileage and software version by pressing the T logo on top center of screen.

Scrolling thru the menus you can tell if car has EAP, cold weather package, high fidelity sound, HIPPA filter, SAS etc. I don't know of a way to find out if it has FSD unless the service center will tell you. I didn't know my car had been purchased with FSD until I got a copy of the Monroney stick from Tesla.

One car I am looking at is a previous executive rental, a 2018.

VIN: 5YJSA1E21JF293805

Clean and looks maxed out but I cannot tell. $63,991. Looks terrific though m=not my preferred color combo...

Good price?