Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Tesla. Which adapter do I need?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

New to Tesla and EVs. Picking one up soon. There is a free charger at work. Which adapter do I need? Does it come with the Model Y already or do I need to purchase?

4eOsYGh.jpg

Thank you.

Thats a J1772 plug. There will be an adapter in the bag with your mobile charger, so you are all set.
Nope, the J1772 adapter is something that you need to buy separately.

EDIT: My car didn't come with one. The Tesla online store says "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." so things may have changed since my car was delivered. I haven't read of anybody getting one with their car but I'll admit that I may be wrong.

Last edited:
Nope, the J1772 adapter is something that you need to buy separately.

EDIT: My car didn't come with one. The Tesla online store says "This product comes standard with purchase of any Tesla vehicle." so things may have changed since my car was delivered. I haven't read of anybody getting one with their car but I'll admit that I may be wrong.
They've always included one. If it isn't in the bag for the Mobile Connector, then you could've contacted Tesla and they would've provided one.

Rather than starting a new thread - this one kind of fits. Other than charge speed and maximum amps, are there any other differences between Nema 14-30 and 14-50. A 14-30 already exists for me, so plan to use it, unless I should change it to a 14-50 for some reason?

Rather than starting a new thread - this one kind of fits. Other than charge speed and maximum amps, are there any other differences between Nema 14-30 and 14-50. A 14-30 already exists for me, so plan to use it, unless I should change it to a 14-50 for some reason?
There's no reason. 14-50 will charge faster but you'd have to put in new wiring, outlet, breaker, etc. and with the current mobile connector, it maxes out at 32 amps. Older mobile connectors could charge at up to 40 amps. That would be faster than the 24 amps you'll get on a 14-30 outlet but if you don't need the faster charging, it's probably not worth the expense. You just need to buy the 14-30 adapter from Tesla.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There's no reason. 14-50 will charge faster but you'd have to put in new wiring, outlet, breaker, etc. and with the current mobile connector, it maxes out at 32 amps. Older mobile connectors could charge at up to 40 amps. That would be faster than the 24 amps you'll get on a 14-30 outlet but if you don't need the faster charging, it's probably not worth the expense. You just need to buy the 14-30 adapter from Tesla.

Great, thank you very much for this. The information is much appreciated. And no, don't really need to charge faster than what the 14-30 will provide.