Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the market for an early model s and was wondering how often people use the AP1 in there cars? Is it worth the extra money to get a car that is equipped with it or would I rarely use it and spend the money elsewhere?

My first Model S was a 2013 & didn't have it. My next one (2015) had it but I didn't think I would use it. It's become my favorite feature in a car of all time since. I wouldn't own a car w/o it now & use it everyday. It's hard to understand it's worth before you have it because the idea doesn't translate on paper but in use it's incredibly useful. Once you own it, there's no going back.

My first Model S was a 2013 & didn't have it. My next one (2015) had it but I didn't think I would use it. It's become my favorite feature in a car of all time since. I wouldn't own a car w/o it now & use it everyday. It's hard to understand it's worth before you have it because the idea doesn't translate on paper but in use it's incredibly useful. Once you own it, there's no going back.
When do you use it, and what kinds of roads and conditions do you use it on? How long did it take to get use to it?

AP1 is like a more advanced cruise control, but you use it more often because it allows you to be more relaxed. Your shoulders and arms won't be as tired since you're not keeping them up to hold the steering wheel (to keep it in the lane). You are instead "resting" it on the steering wheel.

So it depends on how long you drive and how often you use cruise control. If you use cruise control on your current car, then yes it's worth it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
I use AP1 all the time, whenever I can. I even try using it in places where you're not supposed to, pushing the limits. I feel like I'm training my car on these back roads. Don't know if that's true or not but I enjoy pushing the limits. To be clear, I remain totally aware of what's going on when I do that.

Reactions: P85_DA
I only use it when driving on the interstate. Makes long distance driving less stressful.

When driving in the rain I usually disengage AP1 because it struggles sensing the road lane lines due to the spray from other cars / trucks. There have been times where the truck spray is so heavy that the car will start braking.

I also notice that AP1 will hold the center of the lane more consistently then myself. I prefer to hug the inside of the lane when in a curve but AP1 will stay in the center. If you are passing a semi on a curve it seems like you are too close to the semi. If the semi hugs the inside of its lane, it can be a very uncomfortable feeling.

I am in the market for an early model s...
@Erock87 - just a friendly heads up titling a thread "New to Tesla" or "Quick Question" here, or anywhere, won't get as many views or replies as a more descriptive thread title.

Something like, "In the market for an early build S - is AP1 worth the premium vs a non-AP S?" will let forum readers, search engines, etc. see what your question is and ideally get you more and better responses.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
I use AP1 a fair amount on the highway and its is AWESOME in stop-and-go traffic. You also get the self parking (back into a spot, or parallel) which is pretty cool, basic summon (to move the car forward or backwards 15 feet which is useful to get in to the car is people parked too close).

Also note that the center image of the instrument cluster (behind the steering wheel) will be different if you don't have AP1.
it will look more like this:
TeslaTap_instrument_v7_s60_720.jpg

and not like this with AP1 (since it doesn't have the sensors and camera):
1078702682_5162750965001_5160796294001-vs.jpg

Also, it is possible that the display in a old non-AP car may not be able to display as many colors. A user posted a pic of before/after their screen replacement here and the colors are quite different from their old display and their new one. Not 100%positive about that though.

I suggest getting it as it really makes the car feel more futuristic even if it is going to be a 5-7 year old car.

Reactions: Cape Coddess