Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the Tesla Family! What is/was your first Tesla road trip?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First road trip was also the first trip in general. Flew to Vegas from Ohio to pick Sylvia up on Jan 16, 2017. Started the drive from Vegas to Tennessee the next day (driving around the black hole of Arkansas since the Little Rock charger didn't exist yet). Arrived in TN 3.5 days later, onto Ohio the day after that to drop my family members back off, then to DC the next day. All in all over 3K miles in the first week. Cost for the drive $1 at a campground in Missouri to ensure we had enough charge. I have now had Sylvia right at 7 months and I've put over 40,000 miles on her in that time. Many trips from DC to TN or OH and back. Another trip to TN set for this weekend to enjoy the eclipse.

Since getting my tesla in January, I've taken my family of 5(wife, 3,5,6 year olds) to San Juan islands, around Olympic pennensula, to glacier national park, and beartooths/Yellowstone. Plus numerous other trips around my home in north Idaho. Combination of superchargers, destination chargers, and rv plugs. Travel has been spectacular, charging never too onerous, and good times a plenty! I like driving myself most times although the autopilot is nice when I get bored driving. The car is too much fun to pilot! Beartooths highway is one of the most fantastic roads in the country and it was resurfaced the week we went Andy drove it each day to the top for hiking... what a treat! I will say autopilot was great in Yellowstone.... made dealing with bison traffic jams easier...;)

Since getting my tesla in January, I've taken my family of 5(wife, 3,5,6 year olds) to San Juan islands, around Olympic pennensula, to glacier national park, and beartooths/Yellowstone. Plus numerous other trips around my home in north Idaho. Combination of superchargers, destination chargers, and rv plugs. Travel has been spectacular, charging never too onerous, and good times a plenty! I like driving myself most times although the autopilot is nice when I get bored driving. The car is too much fun to pilot! Beartooths highway is one of the most fantastic roads in the country and it was resurfaced the week we went Andy drove it each day to the top for hiking... what a treat! I will say autopilot was great in Yellowstone.... made dealing with bison traffic jams easier...;)
Your wife wants to know, WHO IS ANDY???

• Funny
Reactions: Mobius484
Whenever I set out on a road trip, I'm really never by myself. I always use a GPS tracker (I like LocaToWeb). I send the link to my Tesla gang here at home, and they check in on my whereabouts throughout their day and we have a group text going. It's comforting just knowing they can see exactly where I am at any time.

Thanks, @LoL Rick , @Alaron , @Great Dane , @FLDarren, for being my virtual copilots aka stalkers!

Last year I bought a used MS85 (thus assuring it was debugged and fully burned-in) and immediately put on over 10,000 miles driving from the SF Bay Area to Key West and up to Virginia then meandering through the MidWest visiting friends before returning home. This was followed by an extensive trip to BC, in addition to the monthly trips from the Bay Area to Oregon. Next month we're heading for Nova Scotia and New England to view the Fall colors. Our Tesla is strictly our long-distance vehicle as the i-MiEV is soooo much nicer around town. Best of both worlds. The trip preparations include a boxload of adapters (including CHAdeMO) allowing connection to virtually any North American outlet, and a full-size spare wheel and tire (scrubbed clean) in a nice cover placed behind the passenger-seat - although occasionally relocate it to the trunk if the passenger wants to stretch out.

Reactions: EVCarGUy
Every trip is a road trip for me since I live in the middle of nowhere. We routinely travel to Austin, Tx to see our kids That's a distance of 550 miles. I love reading AP stories about how wonderful it is I musta bought a different car because AP in my Model S is virtually unusable. The car never knows what the speed limit is so we seldom flow with traffic I guess it may be different on Interstate highways, but the closest Interstate to us is 100 miles away. "Smooth as silk" is so different from our experience that it's laughable.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Driving down from Raleigh to Colombia SC to get into the path of totality for the eclipse.
You'll be pleased to pass by all the cars in the gas lines making the same excursion.

Our first trip was a week after delivery in Orlando, FL making our way for Christmas in Atlanta, then Chattanooga, TN. Had a blast learning the Supercharger experience, baking in a little more time for charging stops, and learning to trust the computer. On the return trip, approaching a Supercharger, the computer told me that if I skipped the SC I'd have about 10% left so I panicked and we stopped to charge. Nowadays I wouldn't think twice but to drive on and save the 30mins.

Our next trip was in May from Orlando to Washington, TX driving straight through overnight (20hrs). They put Superchargers in the most interesting locations along I-10. Such as the one in Mobile, AL where at 2:00am in the morning had us thinking, why would they put this so off the main road in what looked like an abandoned shopping mall parking lot, only to discover on the return trip in daytime a week later, the mall and area of town was vibrant with many options to spend the time while charging, which is a pretty consistent theme at most SC's (not including Macon, GA).

The traffic estimate and warnings of unheard of gridlock, combined with the Columbia SC looking like a bad one for ICEing is giving me cold feet. I may ride with a friend in their ICE instead, and plan a different road trip on a more regular weekend as my first for the Tesla.

><

S85 RWD from New England to Disney with my wife, a 3 year old and a 1 year old.

It was in November 2014, we hit snow storms and a Florida outlet mall at midnight on Black Friday was on our route. At the time we had to hit pretty much every supercharger on 95 to make it.

It was awesome! We don't have a Tesla right now but currently try to score an inventory 90D if we can snag one of these great deals I've been hearing about. Would love to do it again!