Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the Tesla Family! What is/was your first Tesla road trip?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone!

If there is one group of people I do NOT have to wonder about when it comes to enthusiasm for Teslas it's likely THIS one :) Just wanted to say hello and that I'm super excited to be joining all of you, my Model S arrives next week. I'm already planning various road trips and I think the first one is probably a little bit special-er than the others, though they're all special to be sure. Was thinking of taking the coast (PCH) all the way up to Santa Barbara...how about you?! Anyone up for sharing their first road trips in their new Tesla?! I'm really interested in hearing both from those who've already taken ownership as well as those who, like me, are awaiting delivery but have already begun dreaming...

Cheers everyone!

Our first multi-day road trip was from Houston, TX to Northern Virginia. Very easy drive, superchargers were not a problem and we used destination charging at night a couple of times as well. We just got back from a Houston to New Mexico trip earlier this month. We love traveling in it.

My first road trip was driving back home after buying my MS just over a year ago from an owner in the LA area back to NorCal. Was told by the original owner that my Signature S was 1 of only 250 with the Sig Red exterior and White interior. On my 3rd supercharger stop coming back home I charged right next to one of the other 250, Sig Red and white. The owner and I had a good laugh over that and he shared some Tesla advice to me as a new owner. Only had small range anxiety as I got to know my new friend for my first extended travel. I'm much more prepared and comfortable about long range trips now. Welcome and enjoy!

Reactions: CalBlue 85D
Mine was Miami to New Orleans. Back then there were quite a few overnight stops for L2 charging and a couple Nissan dealerships who generously allowed use of their CHAdeMO.
My most recent long one was Boston-Quebec City-Detroit-Boston. Superchargers everywhere except Quebec City and had good Destination Charger (Now there is a SC just outside Quebec City.
I am in awe that every road trip is easier than the one before, and every trip is more fun.
AP-1 received the first automative lane keeping (OK, Autosteer) while I was on a road trip from Columbus, Ohio back to Miami. I received the upgrade advice just as I was going to my car to begin the trip, so I delayed the trip to install and discovered Autosteer! Somewhere here is my three-day-long initiation into AP-1 Autosteer. That was amazing.

For all of you beginning now with new cars, be prepared! Those OTA updates will blow you away. They still do for me almost three years later.

We went from Scottsdale AZ to Charlotte NC to Beltsville MD and back to Scottsdale about two weeks after I picked up the Model X. I think people who take long trips like this in a new car are crazy, but we had a blast. We used the 120V plug in Charlotte while staying with our son. Enough to keep us going except for one longer trip via Supercharger. We made one extra trip to the Supercharger in Laurel at the other stop, with no overnight plugs available to us. We didn't make an effort to look for destination chargers during travel since it's just a stop between Supercharger visits much of the time, though it can save time.

We used TACC most of the time, Autosteer was a little "drunk" then (April 2017). I was fine with that, and it was very easy driving that way. I would have never considered the trip without TACC. Autosteer seems smooth enough now to give it a try for our next trip.

Welcome to TMC! Our first road trip was a round trip from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento a couple weeks after taking delivery. We hit the Vacaville Supercharger on the way back "just because" (we could have made it without charging). It turned into a very expensive charging stop because it's located at an outlet mall and, well, let's say we departed with a full battery, a full trunk, and empty wallets. :rolleyes:

Bruce.

Welcome to TMC! Our first road trip was a round trip from the SF Bay Area to Sacramento a couple weeks after taking delivery. We hit the Vacaville Supercharger on the way back "just because" (we could have made it without charging). It turned into a very expensive charging stop because it's located at an outlet mall and, well, let's say we departed with a full battery, a full trunk, and empty wallets. :rolleyes:

Bruce.
Of all the posts here this is clearly the most informative and helpful. :eek:So many uyperchargers are located close to places that facilitate spending with adequate time to allow looking that the fuel savings disappear. Unluckily the S has huge storage ability so can take almost anything. My personal contribution: on a short trip we ended out with a furniture store near the Supercharger. The S then swallowed a love seat and two chairs. At least we had no delivery fee!

Just took the fam on our first true trip in the Model X this last weekend. Drove up to a friend's cabin around Superior National Forest. Had three Supercharger stops, hit up a charging station at a State Park, and a destination charger at a random lodge.

Was a good time.