Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to the world of auto mods/upgrades. Need help deciding what mods/kits to get to lift clearance and also improve ride comfort on future model Y

Good afternoon, all,

Super brand new to this forum and looking forward to learning more from you all. As stated in the title, I placed an order on the Model Y and am looking for ideas on how to not only increase the Y's clearance, but also improve the overall ride comfort. This might be a concern because my SO gets motion sickness somewhat easily and I want her to enjoy this car as much as I do when it arrives. I looked into the MPP stuff as some members here have suggested but I still don't know what specific items I should look into getting.

Should I get both the MPP comfortable adjustable coilovers AND the suspension lift kit? I understand the inherent nature of lifting a car would sacrifice the ride comfort, but what would be the best method to achieve both gaining clearance and ride comfort without spending too much? Please advise and thanks in advance for your help!

You should see how the Model Y does stock before deciding on suspension. Coil overs would be what adds ground clearance. It doesn't necessarily mean worse comfort. We installed King shocks on my SO's tacoma and it made the ride way better and more comforatble than compared to the OEM TRD Off Road suspension. It's all in how they valve the shocks. On our S2000 I have coilovers with 12kg spring rates on them and they don't feel uncomfortable at all. But just remember that ride quality is subjective. Someone who comes from luxury brands may feel that the Model Y suspension is harsh while someone who came from more ecobox cars may feel the Model Y suspension is fine.

Reactions: Michael Y 2020
You should see how the Model Y does stock before deciding on suspension. Coil overs would be what adds ground clearance. It doesn't necessarily mean worse comfort. We installed King shocks on my SO's tacoma and it made the ride way better and more comforatble than compared to the OEM TRD Off Road suspension. It's all in how they valve the shocks. On our S2000 I have coilovers with 12kg spring rates on them and they don't feel uncomfortable at all. But just remember that ride quality is subjective. Someone who comes from luxury brands may feel that the Model Y suspension is harsh while someone who came from more ecobox cars may feel the Model Y suspension is fine.
Thanks! I was trying to see if the MPP comfort coil overs add any clearance at all but the product detail didn't say so that's why I was kinda lost.

You accidentally nailed it on the head with the last part. I'm currently driving a Honda Civic Hatchback and she drives a Lexus SUV and she does get carsick when she rides in my car for longer than 30 mins so that's why I'm concerned. I had no problems with the ride quality when I test drove it but maybe I should do another test and bring her along this time while I wait another 6 months...

Thanks! I was trying to see if the MPP comfort coil overs add any clearance at all but the product detail didn't say so that's why I was kinda lost.

You accidentally nailed it on the head with the last part. I'm currently driving a Honda Civic Hatchback and she drives a Lexus SUV and she does get carsick when she rides in my car for longer than 30 mins so that's why I'm concerned. I had no problems with the ride quality when I test drove it but maybe I should do another test and bring her along this time while I wait another 6 months...
From what the product page says it can go from 10mm higher than stock to 40mm lower than stock so it adds a bit of clearance.

That's a good idea; see what she thinks of the ride quality since you have time to decide anyways. I would likely go with some comfort coilovers as well if I felt that the ride is too harsh. Tires also make a difference as well. I have heard the stock tires aren't too great. I usually like michelin tires when it comes to comfort and road noise.

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Still thinking about getting these for my Model Y to improve the height but haven’t been able to find a whole lot of dat on ride impact other than one thread on the TMC site:

From what the product page says it can go from 10mm higher than stock to 40mm lower than stock so it adds a bit of clearance.

That's a good idea; see what she thinks of the ride quality since you have time to decide anyways. I would likely go with some comfort coilovers as well if I felt that the ride is too harsh. Tires also make a difference as well. I have heard the stock tires aren't too great. I usually like michelin tires when it comes to comfort and road noise.
Yea I saw that part but I was hoping to get at least an inch so that's why I was looking at the 1.75" lift kit that El Joe linked after your response. Crossing my fingers that the ride isn't bad for her so I can save some money and just get that lift kit and spend more on all the other accessories I want 😬😬

Still thinking about getting these for my Model Y to improve the height but haven’t been able to find a whole lot of dat on ride impact other than one thread on the TMC site:

Do you have an issue with scraping the bottom of your Y? Was actually just in SF this past weekend too, do you have issues when you get onto a steep street?

Reactions: El joe
Yea I saw that part but I was hoping to get at least an inch so that's why I was looking at the 1.75" lift kit that El Joe linked after your response. Crossing my fingers that the ride isn't bad for her so I can save some money and just get that lift kit and spend more on all the other accessories I want 😬😬
I think a lot of people overthink it too. Only another test drive would really help evaluate.

El joe

Jan 29, 2019
SF Bay Area, CA
Do you have an issue with scraping the bottom of your Y? Was actually just in SF this past weekend too, do you have issues when you get onto a steep street?
Yeah, and steep driveways, too. I already reached out to MPP and they referred me to The Driveway in SJ. Price seems reasonable and they got good reviews:

Yeah, and steep driveways, too. I already reached out to MPP and they referred me to The Driveway in SJ. Price seems reasonable and they got good reviews:

What's the quoted price for labor, if you don't mind me asking? I would like to get a rough general idea of that pricing, thanks!

Reactions: steve in socal
I'd suggest starting with a smaller wheel larger tire setup. I swapped 18" aeros from a model 3 and put 29" diameter AT tires (+1" over stock). It's added the .5" of lift and the ride is surprisingly better with just the bigger tires. My previous cars were a Mazda3 and BMW i3 and both seemed way less hard knocking than the Y. I think it's most likely due to the suspension but also the 20" wheels I got and low rolling resistance run-flat tires.

My wife has noticed the improvement but still would like it a bit softer so I'm still planning on adding the UPP dirt and snow coilover kit for dirt road camping trips. It's pricier than the MPP kit but seems to be nicer and has full adjustability from stock to +3".

I'd suggest starting with a smaller wheel larger tire setup. I swapped 18" aeros from a model 3 and put 29" diameter AT tires (+1" over stock). It's added the .5" of lift and the ride is surprisingly better with just the bigger tires. My previous cars were a Mazda3 and BMW i3 and both seemed way less hard knocking than the Y. I think it's most likely due to the suspension but also the 20" wheels I got and low rolling resistance run-flat tires.

My wife has noticed the improvement but still would like it a bit softer so I'm still planning on adding the UPP dirt and snow coilover kit for dirt road camping trips. It's pricier than the MPP kit but seems to be nicer and has full adjustability from stock to +3".
That's what I was thinking of doing as well: going with 18" wheels. However some people were making an issue of the weight ratings on the non-model y wheels. I'm not super convinced that it matters for daily driving. Planning on putting an extra set of Enkei NT03 that I have laying around on.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC