Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New to Vancouver - please forgive the newbie question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in Vancouver (new job from UK originally) and always wondered on this, why can't I go to the US and drive a used car back.

Do any Canadian cars go the other way for example back to the US?

Seems a shame as I'm busting to get into another Tesla MS for my time here but the used Canadian market still appears expensive, hey ho :)

I'm going to search the forum but just wondered if anything new may be appropriate, sorry for the base questions just thought I'd ask.

OR has anyone got a used S or X local for sale or pending .....??

• Informative
Reactions: MarcoRP
Hi Dan43, it would be nice to go to the US and drive back a used Tesla but we can't. Tesla has told the Canadian Federal department responsible for managing imports that US Model X and S can not be modified to meet Canadian standards, you can see the details at Registrar of Imported Vehicles

Local used S or X can be found on craigslist or autotrader. More used tesla's are appearing on the tesla website, i think i saw a used base 2015 70D sell for 70K.

Thanks makes sense can see the issues, I tried to get a Roadster across but even the local Van dealer was not optimistic about the changes needed to make it legal for Canada.

Seen this below of course :

Note-2: Tesla Motors has informed Transport Canada that Tesla service centers are currently not in a position to support the substantial modifications required to bring U.S. Model S and Model X vehicles into compliance with Canadian requirements. Contact the manufacturer for further details.

Friend is also looking for a used MS, he says that the prices have been dropping about $1100-$1200 every night until they get sold. Lowest he saw was $70k for a 2015 70D.

Inventory Search | Tesla

This one is $75,700 at the moment but has dropped from over $80K last few days, I have been keeping a keen eye on the inventory and Autotrader fro a few weeks now, they still have strong used values and only inventory seem to be shifting with any regularity once the price drops to a point someone bites.

• Informative
Reactions: Canuck
I read somewhere on these forums that a lot of the Model S lease returns and trade-ins with Tesla are sent back to the United States for resale there instead of in Canada. Not sure how true this is though.

Canadian cars meet all US requirements and can be easily exported from Canada to the US.It's the other way around that is the problem. I know of several Canadian owners who sold their cars used to folks in the US.

Friend is also looking for a used MS, he says that the prices have been dropping about $1100-$1200 every night until they get sold. Lowest he saw was $70k for a 2015 70D.

I'm doing the same and see the same thing, cars start at a certain price and drop almost daily by $1K wish until sold, the last one went today for $75,000 started at over $82,500 if I recall.

But after adding 12% plus other fees it gets expensive even so. I'm still not used to how cars are sold here in Vancouver/Canada the sticker price has zero relation to the full real costs, its odd.

Plus I believe the 12% is applicable to 2nd hand sales and private sales, its so quirky, still learning :)