Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tow Hitch Cover! The Best Yet!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve been looking for a good, easily removed tow hitch cover since I got my MYP in June. I hunt, and during deer season I’m constantly connecting and removing my carrier from the receiver. I don’t want to leave the Tesla hitch cover off, as I think it ruins the look. Putting it on and taking it off constantly is a P.I.T.A. Need something 3rd party.

I’ve seen a lot of solutions out there - cabinet handles, plastic trim removers, clipping the clips, etc. They all have a flaw, or many flaws. For some the handle is ugly (frankly, all of them that have a handle, I don’t like anything sticking out there,) some of them the plastic texture and color don’t match the rest of the bumper cover. Some of them have gaps that are uneven or too big. (One could argue that matches the Tesla! LOL) Yeah, they’re cheap solutions….they look like cheap solutions. I paid a lot of money for a nice looking car, no thank you on the imperfect tow hitch cover. That’s the end everyone sees.

Marco to the rescue! I saw a couple posts on Facebook of a new tow hitch design. Nice looking, super secure, perfect (and I mean perfect) match, easy on, easy off! It uses your own tow hitch cover. The “gaps” are non-existent. The only new thing you see is the back plate - with a nice looking logo, blends in well with the car, looks like it belongs there. WORKS WITH ALL Model Y VINs. Finally!

The “locking” mechanism is built from an aluminum block with spring loaded steel balls to lock it into place. There’s a GREASE FITTING (!) to keep that mechanism from locking up here in the rust belt! Californians won’t get the need, but us salty road runners do! Great addition! I love it! No rattles either, once it’s in, it’s in and doesn’t move at all. I’ve driven over 200 miles with it installed.

So…cons to this new cover? Well for one it’s gonna be pricey, but see above - you get what you pay for. You’ll never need another one, that’s for sure, this thing will last forever. For me, completely worth it. I like things to look nice and last, this is it.

I also dislike that it can’t be removed with my hands. BUT, if it were that easy, anyone could do it. People are always looking for ways to annoy Tesla owners. There’s no way hand removal is practical. So you have to screw in a handle (one pictures is a prototype, final will be much nicer) and give it a yank. Done! You don’t need the handle to pop it back in. Just line up the cover with the tow hitch and give it a whack on the logo and it pops right back into place.

I met with Marco last weekend so he could test fit my 197XXX VIN MYP. Minor adjustment and it was ready to go. The final design will be user adjustable to fit any VIN Model Y.

If you’re interested, PLEASE email [email protected]. They're trying to get an idea on how many to build, finalize price, etc. The more interest, the better the price. Please feel to ask me (or them) any questions...happy to answer. I’ve been using a prototype for a few days now and LOVE it. Finally someone got the tow hitch cover right! I'm definitely in for one of the final covers when they're ready.

Jack

IMG_0749.jpeg
IMG_0750.jpeg
IMG_0752.jpeg

IMG_0748.jpeg
IMG_0756.jpeg

I can’t seem to find the original post where the developer of this item described it and asked for replies from anyone interested. IIRC, they needed at least 50 people before going to manufacturing. I responded, but haven’t heard anything…

I’ve been looking for a good, easily removed tow hitch cover since I got my MYP in June. I hunt, and during deer season I’m constantly connecting and removing my carrier from the receiver. I don’t want to leave the Tesla hitch cover off, as I think it ruins the look. Putting it on and taking it off constantly is a P.I.T.A. Need something 3rd party.

I’ve seen a lot of solutions out there - cabinet handles, plastic trim removers, clipping the clips, etc. They all have a flaw, or many flaws. For some the handle is ugly (frankly, all of them that have a handle, I don’t like anything sticking out there,) some of them the plastic texture and color don’t match the rest of the bumper cover. Some of them have gaps that are uneven or too big. (One could argue that matches the Tesla! LOL) Yeah, they’re cheap solutions….they look like cheap solutions. I paid a lot of money for a nice looking car, no thank you on the imperfect tow hitch cover. That’s the end everyone sees.

Marco to the rescue! I saw a couple posts on Facebook of a new tow hitch design. Nice looking, super secure, perfect (and I mean perfect) match, easy on, easy off! It uses your own tow hitch cover. The “gaps” are non-existent. The only new thing you see is the back plate - with a nice looking logo, blends in well with the car, looks like it belongs there. WORKS WITH ALL Model Y VINs. Finally!

The “locking” mechanism is built from an aluminum block with spring loaded steel balls to lock it into place. There’s a GREASE FITTING (!) to keep that mechanism from locking up here in the rust belt! Californians won’t get the need, but us salty road runners do! Great addition! I love it! No rattles either, once it’s in, it’s in and doesn’t move at all. I’ve driven over 200 miles with it installed.

So…cons to this new cover? Well for one it’s gonna be pricey, but see above - you get what you pay for. You’ll never need another one, that’s for sure, this thing will last forever. For me, completely worth it. I like things to look nice and last, this is it.

I also dislike that it can’t be removed with my hands. BUT, if it were that easy, anyone could do it. People are always looking for ways to annoy Tesla owners. There’s no way hand removal is practical. So you have to screw in a handle (one pictures is a prototype, final will be much nicer) and give it a yank. Done! You don’t need the handle to pop it back in. Just line up the cover with the tow hitch and give it a whack on the logo and it pops right back into place.

I met with Marco last weekend so he could test fit my 197XXX VIN MYP. Minor adjustment and it was ready to go. The final design will be user adjustable to fit any VIN Model Y.

If you’re interested, PLEASE email [email protected]. They're trying to get an idea on how many to build, finalize price, etc. The more interest, the better the price. Please feel to ask me (or them) any questions...happy to answer. I’ve been using a prototype for a few days now and LOVE it. Finally someone got the tow hitch cover right! I'm definitely in for one of the final covers when they're ready.

Jack

View attachment 723595View attachment 723596View attachment 723597
View attachment 723593View attachment 723598

@Zhe Wiz Any updates on this?

Reactions: jebinc