Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tow hitch cover

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recall a new picture floating around that showed a modified tow hitch cover on Tesla's website. However, there really hasn't been any further talk about it. I also can't seem to find any information about it on Google or YouTube. Has anyone seen the new tow hitch cover? Curious if those taking recent deliveries have seen it.

Reactions: LionelHutz
I recall a new picture floating around that showed a modified tow hitch cover on Tesla's website. However, there really hasn't been any further talk about it. I also can't seem to find any information about it on Google or YouTube. Has anyone seen the new tow hitch cover? Curious if those taking recent deliveries have seen it.
Have there been any offical photos or recent deliveries confirming that change?

Have there been any offical photos or recent deliveries confirming that change?
This is a zoomed in picture of the current tow option on Tesla's website.
Screenshot_20210301-192215_Gallery.jpg

I purchased a second (spare) cover so I can modify one of them for easier access on and off.

AND now that there is a potential “new” cover - I’ll probably want to purchase that one also. My spare/replacement was only $15 delivered to my home when I also purchased my TMPS for my winter 19” Gemini wheels.

The part number in China has just rev'd to 1494009-00-B so hoping it will be available in US soon. Could aways try ordering it from a dealer to see if it works. Tried getting mine off yesterday and it was a disaster. Not sure why they designed it with so many snaps... one on each side would have sufficed.

Reactions: turbospecc
Just took delivery on Saturday. Still has the old cover. I bought some pry tools which were totally useless. Covering up a flathead screwdriver with some tape did the trick without scratching anything. I'm not planning to use the tow hitch that often, so in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.

Just took delivery on Saturday. Still has the old cover. I bought some pry tools which were totally useless. Covering up a flathead screwdriver with some tape did the trick without scratching anything. I'm not planning to use the tow hitch that often, so in the grand scheme of things, not a big deal.
Yea, I got one of those tools as well and it was a waste of money. It's too thick to effectively fit, except at the top middle (which may actually be the design of the cover, to have a slight indent there). When I do get a back rack, I will do the 'tab trimming' modification until someone comes up with a better solution.

Reactions: NJX3tomY
Are you guys talking about these 'tow hitch cover pry tools' like what LivingTesla sells?

I guess I could use my interior panel plastic pry tools that I have instead since those are very thin and can fit in there, but just wondering if these 'pry tools' are a complete waste of money.

featured_preview_IMG_8672.jpeg

Are you guys talking about these 'tow hitch cover pry tools' like what LivingTesla sells?

I guess I could use my interior panel plastic pry tools that I have instead since those are very thin and can fit in there, but just wondering if these 'pry tools' are a complete waste of money.

featured_preview_IMG_8672.jpeg
That's the one I have. I ordered their Snap Plate and a couple of the tools. It's not a complete waste of money, as I originally said in my post.... But it only inserts at one spot initially, the top center like in the pic you have there, and the panel gets quite 'bendy'. If the tool was just a hair thinner, it might fit easier, but then might not be as strong so....

Good to know. Saves me the time & money of buying those before I pick up my car.

I have this pry kit so I'll probably take a few of the pry tools with me on delivery day so I can pop off the tow hitch cover on my car to confirm that my tow hitch is indeed there.

713aUQnWH6L._AC_SL1300_.jpg