Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Toyo Tires on my MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Blanca" is a 2015 MS that I bought in May 2019 with roughly 23,000 miles. It came with Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S's in the non-staggered configuration. I now have accumulated 40,000 miles and have enjoyed every mile. I needed new tires but I wanted an all season tire instead of the performance tire (I live in North Carolina where we experience all four seasons). Our local Discount Tire has taken good care of me through the years and but the only all-season tire they stocked in the 245/35 21" was the Toyo Proxes Sport A/S. It's been only 4 days of use but I am so very pleased that I felt compelled to create my first post. These tires are so, so much quieter than the Michelins. I had become unaware of how much road noise the Michelin's produced but it was a radical difference with the Toyo's. Irrespective of any other issues with longevity, grip or stopping distance I would highly recommend these Toyo's for our otherwise very quiet Tesla's.

No doubt that you are experiencing lower tread noise, but that's the case for pretty much any new tire vs a worn tire. What is the grip and handling like compared to the 4S?
The Toyo's were installed on a saturday and we had monsoon like conditions on both saturday and sunday so I gingerly tested traction in the rain but didn't push it. Did, however push it on Monday and Tuesday and I was impressed with the grip and handling. That's a bummer to think that the lower tread noise is a product of the newness. I'm really enjoying the quietude and hence why I made my first post in 17 months of ownership.

They won’t last you as long as Michelin tires
Idk man.

I just put 4 toyo proxes for my model x. Love them. My BIG name contiselent that are oem for the car sucked. The life was horrible. And the grip not good.

At a fraction of the cost... They do have a long warranty and if they don't last AS long as the bigger names who cares. They are half the price, or less.

"Blanca" is a 2015 MS that I bought in May 2019 with roughly 23,000 miles. It came with Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S's in the non-staggered configuration. I now have accumulated 40,000 miles and have enjoyed every mile. I needed new tires but I wanted an all season tire instead of the performance tire (I live in North Carolina where we experience all four seasons). Our local Discount Tire has taken good care of me through the years and but the only all-season tire they stocked in the 245/35 21" was the Toyo Proxes Sport A/S. It's been only 4 days of use but I am so very pleased that I felt compelled to create my first post. These tires are so, so much quieter than the Michelins. I had become unaware of how much road noise the Michelin's produced but it was a radical difference with the Toyo's. Irrespective of any other issues with longevity, grip or stopping distance I would highly recommend these Toyo's for our otherwise very quiet Tesla's.
they toyo's are good tires.....have similar ones on my Lexus GS350....Quite and lasted 60k....

• Informative
Reactions: Cuttin
I just bought new rims which are the same size as yours 245/35/21 and looking for tires. When I plug in Tesla Model S, the Toyo Proxes Sport A/S tires don't come up as a selection. However, when I input by size and it asks me what kind of car it is, it says they fit. Are you still liking these tires? I am more about comfort and low noise than performance. Also looking at the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 but they are very expensive. Any feedback is appreciated.

I just got the Toyo Proxes Sport A/S tires on my 2017 P100D Model S with square 245 x 21” wheels. Love them so far. I had cheap Nankangs before and they only lasted 1 yr. Much quieter and a much smoother ride so far. Highly recommend.

I just got the Toyo Proxes Sport A/S tires on my 2017 P100D Model S with square 245 x 21” wheels. Love them so far. I had cheap Nankangs before and they only lasted 1 yr. Much quieter and a much smoother ride so far. Highly recommend.
I've now got about 2,000 miles on the Toyo's. Great traction and performance...& still a lot quieter the the stock Michelins. I'm still very pleased!

Reactions: Dr_BTF
I've now got about 2,000 miles on the Toyo's. Great traction and performance...& still a lot quieter the the stock Michelins. I'm still very pleased!
I concur.

I have about 5000 miles on my model X with these new Toyo tires. Very pleased. Great traction in the rain and the snow.

they may be a little bit louder at highway speed but difficult to tell. Overall very happy and they were at a great price.

I've been looking at the Toyo Celsius since I live in NH and would like an al weather tire. Any opinions vs the Toyo Proxes regarding noise and milage?
Hey Tardis5 - I just now tuned back into my original post. I had a very good first impression of the Toyo's & 6 months and 2K miles I still have a very good impression. I had a challenging time at work a few weeks ago and turned off all music. The Toyo's remain very quiet, so quiet I kept the music off for a few days for some repose. With only 2K miles, can't really say much about the mileage though tires show no wear whatsoever. I continue to be pleased with the quietness, traction and handling and I continue to recommend highly, irrespective of the tires being more than half the price of the stock Michelin 21" Pilot Sport 4S!

Reactions: All In and Cuttin
I have the new version of this tire...it is superior to the Michelin in every way except road noise. And for the record, road noise is worse with new tires. The noise you get with worn tires is totally different and if you are hearing it, you should not be driving on them.

Close to a year with the Toyo’s & I remain very pleased. They have great traction & with about 10k miles they remain much more quiet than the OEM Michelin’s. I looked at the review on Tire Rack & the assertion that AP disengaged seems ludicrous!!

Close to a year with the Toyo’s & I remain very pleased. They have great traction & with about 10k miles they remain much more quiet than the OEM Michelin’s. I looked at the review on Tire Rack & the assertion that AP disengaged seems ludicrous!!
Thanks for the info! I was about to get those Toyo til saw that reviews and delayed my replacement for my Eagle F1! Good to know that they are better then Michellins's that was 2nd choice! Road noise was my first concern seem X already had very bad noise insulations!