Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New TPMS causing system faults?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lets start with Sept2020 build model3. i have some parts from the '21 but not all of them. its a weird hodge-podge parts bin of this and that. I recently got a set of Summer wheels and I'm retiring my Aeros to winter wheels. Got everything for the new setup at Tire Rack/Discounters including 'compatible' TPMS , more on this. My build allegedly uses the old radio freq not BT after training the sensors we got that all working.

Picked up new wheels 8/30, put on car 9/1, got a warning 9/2 on my morning commute. i did multiple tpms relearns, resets, hard reboots, and switched tires on the UI to 19" no avail.

9/3 i went back to tire shop they adjusted tire pressure and relearned ALL the sensors and everything worked PERRFECT!

9/4 i went on a small in- state road trip covered a few hundred miles and no issues what so ever. supercharged and came home.

9/5 i woke up and drove to do errands and crossing a railroad track my dash lit up like Christmas.

All these errors came up at the exact same time

DI_a245 Vehicle Hold Feature Unavailable

DI_a222 Stability control disabled

UI_a020 Steering assist reduced

DI_a223 Traction Control disabled

APP-w009 Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled

ESP_a039 ABS disabled

In addition to the above parking sensors are screaming at me, I have no cruise, I have no regen, throttle response is retarded, and I'm not sure if brake booster is acting up OR if I'm

I'm basically driving a car from the 1980s, driving ICE cars now kinda scares me but this is straight up TERRIFYING.

I have a service appointment for next Tuesday 9/13 but i really wanna find a solution here prior to this.

I have a couple ideas of paths forward but id appreciate the communities input here.

PLAN A: It looks like people having similar issues have linked it to the Wheel Speed Sensors, WSS, going out. Pulling Aftermarket wheels, checking wheel sensors on 4 Corners making sure there's nothing out of the ordinary. I see this going one of two ways:

- It either checks out fine > Go to PLAN B

- Sensors/Wires/etc. show signs of wear and something has happened replace WSS. and other? I am 7mm closer to front suspension (+7mm back spacing) and 11mm further in back (+7mm backspacing -18mm spacers). This could be a concern but nothing is touching.

PLAN B: Put Winter set up on car drive 30 miles. see if everything clears up. I see this with in conjunction with PLANA will tell me the following:

- New wheels have damaged wiring and need to looking into rerouting or maybe 5mm spacers for front wheels

- Aftermarket TPMS is causing radio interference scrambling the WSS system and throwing faulty codes. need to get Tesla ones

I guess my question here is checking my methodology AND/OR if there's anything obvious I'm missing. Id like to have a quick fix and ideally not go to the SC.

Attached are pictures of new TPMS, Tire measurements winter v summer

Honorable mention should I decrease tire pressure on these bigger (taller and wider wheels) or no?

**Crossposted on Reddit hoping to reach a bigger knowledge pool here.

Attachments

• 2022-09-06_10-07-00.jpg
    2022-09-06_10-07-00.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 2022-09-06_10-05-53.jpg
    2022-09-06_10-05-53.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 93
  • 2022-09-06_10-03-03.jpg
    2022-09-06_10-03-03.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 2022-09-06_08-20-31.jpg
    2022-09-06_08-20-31.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 95
Lets start with Sept2020 build model3. i have some parts from the '21 but not all of them. its a weird hodge-podge parts bin of this and that. I recently got a set of Summer wheels and I'm retiring my Aeros to winter wheels. Got everything for the new setup at Tire Rack/Discounters including 'compatible' TPMS , more on this. My build allegedly uses the old radio freq not BT after training the sensors we got that all working.

Picked up new wheels 8/30, put on car 9/1, got a warning 9/2 on my morning commute. i did multiple tpms relearns, resets, hard reboots, and switched tires on the UI to 19" no avail.

9/3 i went back to tire shop they adjusted tire pressure and relearned ALL the sensors and everything worked PERRFECT!

9/4 i went on a small in- state road trip covered a few hundred miles and no issues what so ever. supercharged and came home.

9/5 i woke up and drove to do errands and crossing a railroad track my dash lit up like Christmas.

All these errors came up at the exact same time

DI_a245 Vehicle Hold Feature Unavailable

DI_a222 Stability control disabled

UI_a020 Steering assist reduced

DI_a223 Traction Control disabled

APP-w009 Automatic Emergency Braking is disabled

ESP_a039 ABS disabled

In addition to the above parking sensors are screaming at me, I have no cruise, I have no regen, throttle response is retarded, and I'm not sure if brake booster is acting up OR if I'm

I'm basically driving a car from the 1980s, driving ICE cars now kinda scares me but this is straight up TERRIFYING.

I have a service appointment for next Tuesday 9/13 but i really wanna find a solution here prior to this.

I have a couple ideas of paths forward but id appreciate the communities input here.

PLAN A: It looks like people having similar issues have linked it to the Wheel Speed Sensors, WSS, going out. Pulling Aftermarket wheels, checking wheel sensors on 4 Corners making sure there's nothing out of the ordinary. I see this going one of two ways:

- It either checks out fine > Go to PLAN B

- Sensors/Wires/etc. show signs of wear and something has happened replace WSS. and other? I am 7mm closer to front suspension (+7mm back spacing) and 11mm further in back (+7mm backspacing -18mm spacers). This could be a concern but nothing is touching.

PLAN B: Put Winter set up on car drive 30 miles. see if everything clears up. I see this with in conjunction with PLANA will tell me the following:

- New wheels have damaged wiring and need to looking into rerouting or maybe 5mm spacers for front wheels

- Aftermarket TPMS is causing radio interference scrambling the WSS system and throwing faulty codes. need to get Tesla ones

I guess my question here is checking my methodology AND/OR if there's anything obvious I'm missing. Id like to have a quick fix and ideally not go to the SC.

Attached are pictures of new TPMS, Tire measurements winter v summer

Honorable mention should I decrease tire pressure on these bigger (taller and wider wheels) or no?

**Crossposted on Reddit hoping to reach a bigger knowledge pool here.
Hi did you ever solve the problem? Would be interesting to know…. I have a similar problem… my steering has gone Heavy, no cruise control and my autopilot not working either turn a left or right my steering won’t go back to the Center I don’t know what is happening

Hi did you ever solve the problem? Would be interesting to know…. I have a similar problem… my steering has gone Heavy, no cruise control and my autopilot not working either turn a left or right my steering won’t go back to the Center I don’t know what is happening
That sounds specifically like a power steering rack issue. Any noise involved? If not, could be a ground stud issue. Any errors/ warnings?

Looks like two different issues, EPAS is the power steering. If they appeared at the same time, it might be a ground issue.
What specific model and year?
Thanks for reaching out to me really appreciate There is no noise coming from anywhere…. yes both problems came same time I have a Model 3 2021… how do I check all the grounds? Where are they located are there any underneath ?

I don't think the battery would be the root of these two issues. The wheel speed signal goes to a module in the same left front area as the steering ground junction. Could be unrelated causes though.
you was right! The battery was not causing these problems I found a bad earth and now the auxiliary battery is showing full capacity… still I have the same issues with heavy steering, I do have traction control fault and Abs fault come up on the screen could it be a abs sensor causing this problem? I hope I do not need to replace the steering rack but thinking what I could try before that?