TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

New tpms sensor (continental) retrofit in early 2014

Discussion in 'Model S' started by _Shado_, Oct 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. _Shado_

_Shado_ New Member

Hi everyone! This is my first post and I think it’s one that will help a lot of people out!

The MS is my wife’s and we bought it used, 2014 85 performance with 4200 miles!

We purchased another set of aftermarket wheels and have been searching what tpms sensors to use. We found all the posts and threads about how the early 2014’s used a baolong tpms sensor and the later 2014’s used continentals (vin dependent). I also read that the older MS could not use the newer continental sensors to show each tires pressures on the dash, “it won’t work.”

Well, my wife took the car into the service center in Tempe AZ today for what we assumed was a low battery in one or more of the tpms sensors. Turnes out, they retrofitted the new continental sensors and compatible receivers to her car!!! She can now see her individual tire pressures in her <50900 vin 2014 MS!

I don’t know if this is old news or not but it is news to me and hopefully this will help someone searching for tpms sensors! I’ll attempt to post the service paperwork.
    A822ADF1-F0F6-4D02-9988-66FBC7E02A18.jpeg

• Informative x 1
  2. Cyclone

Cyclone Cyclonic Member ((.oO))

Yes, a couple others have had this one - some as a warranty repair, some as a paid retrofit. In each case, the old receiver is replaced with the new receiver (they operate on different frequencies), the four sensors are replaced, and the car is reflashed to load the firmware pieces for the new components.

Congrats!

3. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

I had this done as well on an early 2013 due to the tpms error coming on frequently. Tesla first changed the tpms sensors and when that didn’t resolve the problem they did the retrofit to the new hardware.