Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Track Mode v2 and Track pack!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not all day every day no, but your original comment was "I don’t recommend those tires at all for the street" and they are perfectly fine for the street if you want to keep them on a few days after you've been to the track but haven't had time to swap your wheels over, for instance.

I've driven on them in very wet conditions in the low 40s and they worked well enough. Better than MXM4s I would say ;)

Well sure! But my point remains. In any case, I’m interested to see weight numbers, track time numbers etc.

youre welcome everyone
;0

Screen Shot 2020-03-02 at 7.09.48 PM.png

But why stop at just the tires and brakes? Why not offer some coil-overs along with larger sway bars? It was interesting watching all three video's with the same car at the same location with the same cloud cover.

At least one article I read said that Track Mode 2.0 would be delivered to people who purchased the Track Pack... I wonder if that is correct or not...
I dont think thats the case..

even in the videos they were testing v2 on cars without the track pack..
and in the details of the track pack there is no mention of track mode v2

But why stop at just the tires and brakes? Why not offer some coil-overs along with larger sway bars? It was interesting watching all three video's with the same car at the same location with the same cloud cover.

It depends on their cost/profit calculations whether it's worth it to develop a comprehensive Track Pack [like Chevrolet's 1LE package for the Camaro]. At that point they know they're competing with the aftermarket and it would have to be very compelling to choose Tesla's offering. It would likely need to retain the vehicle warranty for track days, something the aftermarket can't offer. Personally I would love to see one with canyon-carving/HPDE suspension tuning (dampers, springs, ARBs, bushings) and alignment adjustability to do a track alignment on top of the sticky tires and track-tolerant brake pads.

Regarding the Track Mode V2; I'm most excited to see how the lap timer function works out. With all the cameras and data connectivity the car already has, a hot-lap video with data overlay wouldn't be out of the question.

I think this is a nice package. A full-warrantied set, with some decent forged wheels.[

Where are you getting that they're legit forged wheels? Product description doesn't say that at all.

Tesla agrees since the Track Package requires the PUP. It’s an enthusiast package, of course.

Uh...no.

It requires the PUP because the brake pads are physically different with and without the PUP.

(a company less incompetent at logistics, inventory management, and back-end IT might have offered 2 versions where the only difference in the package is the pads fit the + or - brakes- but that company is not Tesla.... and honestly any P3D- owners who really care about track performance are already running aftermarket better-than-P3D+ brake upgrades and lightweight wider 18s anyway so who'd buy it?)

Where are you getting that they're legit forged wheels? Product description doesn't say that at all.

Uh...no.

It requires the PUP because the brake pads are physically different with and without the PUP.

(a company less incompetent at logistics, inventory management, and back-end IT might have offered 2 versions where the only difference in the package is the pads fit the + or - brakes- but that company is not Tesla.... and honestly any P3D- owners who really care about track performance are already running aftermarket better-than-P3D+ brake upgrades and lightweight wider 18s anyway so who'd buy it?)

Because they’re apparently the reward forged wheels, too? The package would make precisely no sense if they’re not forged/lighter, either.

And I know they aren’t compatible with the non-PUP calipers. Makes sense to me. I’d imagine only those who splurged on the PUP are the type to splurge on dedicated track hardware.

Because they’re apparently the reward forged wheels, too? The package would make precisely no sense if they’re not forged/lighter, either.

Nope.

Check out the reward wheels thread.

Tesla intentionally removed the word "forged" from all mentions of those wheels last year.

Just like they don't say forged for these.

B
And I know they aren’t compatible with the non-PUP calipers. Makes sense to me. I’d imagine only those who splurged on the PUP are the type to splurge on dedicated track hardware.

Then you need a better imagination :)

Some track minded folks bought the P3D- in the first place since it was $5000 cheaper and didn't force heavier-but-not-wider stock wheels on em nor grossly limit their aftermarket wheel selection, nor buy a brake upgrade that wasn't suited to heavy track use anyway.

Then they bought better-than-P3D+ brake kits and light, often wider, 18" wheels and good tires with that $5000.

Reactions: cochran

Some track minded folks bought the P3D- in the first place since it was $5000 cheaper and didn't force heavier-but-not-wider stock wheels on em nor grossly limit their aftermarket wheel selection, nor buy a brake upgrade that wasn't suited to heavy track use anyway.

Then they bought better-than-P3D+ brake kits and light, often wider, 18" wheels and good tires with that $5000.

You're making a theoretical argument with imaginary owners using an assumption there's a fixed and clear end point of vehicular development with the primary concern being minimizing the financial cost to get to that particular end point. If only life was so cut-and-dry.

Reactions: WilliamG
I mean, I'm not though. I'm making a fact based argument with real owners. Many of whom are members and post here regularly.

Even if you were citing real examples, it is not indicative of the breadth of ownership intent. We're talking about expensive luxury toys with intrinsic depreciation, and within that financial whirlpool we're talking about track days. Making an argument that there's some "correct" financial methodology solely based on first-pass clear end point development means you're not trailblazing, only following distantly in others footsteps. If you're tight on money and trying to keep up with the Joneses, you're unfortunately setting yourself up to be slow and broke. Saving $5k in the big picture is only about 5 track weekends worth of entry fees and consumables, a fraction of many track rats' seasons.

Reactions: WilliamG
Even if you were citing real examples

I am- again there's lots of posts from P3D- members who've bought MPP brake upgrades, lighter wheels, etc and also track the car.

Usually getting better results, for less money, than P3D+ owners.

Not sure why you doubt this when you can just browse through the forums yourself if you've somehow never seen these people.

, it is not indicative of the breadth of ownership intent. We're talking about expensive luxury toys with intrinsic depreciation, and within that financial whirlpool we're talking about track days.

yes- and most P owners of both kinds never track the car in the first place.

We're already talking about a minority of a minority either way.

Making an argument that there's some "correct" financial methodology solely based on first-pass clear end point development means you're not trailblazing, only following distantly in others footsteps. If you're tight on money and trying to keep up with the Joneses, you're unfortunately setting yourself up to be slow and broke. Saving $5k in the big picture is only about 5 track weekends worth of entry fees and consumables, a fraction of many track rats' seasons.

If you were in the small minority of owners who tracked previous cars- you'd probably be coming into buying a 3 thinking about...tracking the 3.

In which case saving the 5k and using that toward better-than-OEM upgrades makes a lot of sense.

Especially if also live someplace the 20s are a non-starter anyway because of potholes and such.

This has little to do with how "tight" anybody is on money and more to do with the smartest place to put that $ to get the car you want in the config you want it.

Now, TODAY, that argument looks a bit different since the $5000 discount for skipping the PuP is gone...but that was not the case for most of the time the +/- choice existed.

You'd still be stuck with the junk heavy 20s, but apparently lots of folks need these to replace the ones damaged by potholes so it's a sellers market!

You're making a theoretical argument with imaginary owners using an assumption there's a fixed and clear end point of vehicular development with the primary concern being minimizing the financial cost to get to that particular end point. If only life was so cut-and-dry.

I think the point was that many original P3D- buyers were actually more interested in track and auto-x use than those that purchased the PUP. PUP did almost nothing for performance, in fact I would argue the 18" wheels are a better choice when properly shod. This new HW package may be aimed at the wrong crowd, although it is still likely that most will want to roll their own upgrades.

I'm happy to see activity in this area in any case. The P3 is the car that should be compared to the Taycan, instead we keep getting S comparisons which currently makes no sense.

BTW how come we first heard of this amazing news via some random youtuber?

• Love
Reactions: Knightshade
I think the point was that many original P3D- buyers were actually more interested in track and auto-x use than those that purchased the PUP. PUP did almost nothing for performance, in fact I would argue the 18" wheels are a better choice when properly shod. This new HW package may be aimed at the wrong crowd, although it is still likely that most will want to roll their own upgrades.

This.

I think the point was that many original P3D- buyers were actually more interested in track and auto-x use than those that purchased the PUP. PUP did almost nothing for performance,

More interested? Based on what? What time period does "original P3D- buyers" fall into?

Like Knightshade said, there's no point to buy a Stealth right now, because you can click PUP and sell off the bits to offset the cost of track day stuff. You'd be a fool to leave that value on the table.