Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Track Mode v2 and Track pack!?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the point was that many original P3D- buyers were actually more interested in track and auto-x use than those that purchased the PUP. PUP did almost nothing for performance, in fact I would argue the 18" wheels are a better choice when properly shod. This new HW package may be aimed at the wrong crowd, although it is still likely that most will want to roll their own upgrades.

I'm happy to see activity in this area in any case. The P3 is the car that should be compared to the Taycan, instead we keep getting S comparisons which currently makes no sense.

BTW how come we first heard of this amazing news via some random youtuber?

I am an Autocrosser and there’s no chance in hell I wanted the non PUP car but maybe I’m just the minority

Reactions: aspec818
More interested? Based on what? What time period does "original P3D- buyers" fall into?

Like Knightshade said, there's no point to buy a Stealth right now, because you can click PUP and sell off the bits to offset the cost of track day stuff. You'd be a fool to leave that value on the table.

I purchased my P3D- in July last year. For the price of $49k, it was a no brainer. However, now I may feel a little sad if they say the Track Mode V2 is not available for stealth models...

Rim looks a little like a flower petal to me

View attachment 517371
Yep, a bit like these:
flowerpower.jpg

Reactions: XLR82XS
More interested? Based on what?

Mostly based on posts here. Many minus buyers complained that the added pieces from the PUP were not the best choices for adding actual performance, while at the same time many plus buyers argued that it did not matter since so few people track their cars. I don't think many expressed the following opinion out loud, but it seemed like the less sophisticated buyers were flocking to the plus while the more sophisticated buyers bought the minus. That's totally OK, everyone has their own value analysis, but I think the minus buyers are the ones more likely to snap up a true performance upgrade, unless they already have their cars kitted exactly as they want them.

it seemed like the less sophisticated buyers were flocking to the plus while the more sophisticated buyers bought the minus. That's totally OK, everyone has their own value analysis, but I think the minus buyers are the ones more likely to snap up a true performance upgrade, unless they already have their cars kitted exactly as they want them.

That's kinda silly IMO. I would consider myself a sophisticated buyer, my last car was a 620rwhp C7 Corvette that I did the work on and raced on a weekly basis. Saying that I was the sophisticated buyer because I bought that and supercharged it vs buying the Z06 from the factory is silly. I would have killed for a Z06 for factory reliability and parts but couldn't afford it at the time. This time around I wanted everything I could from the factory, yes it may not be the top performing stuff but it's OEM quality and warrantied. Those of us that compete with our cars are bound by class rules as well, I can't just throw a big brake kit on the stealth car without severe consequences (getting thrown into a class I couldn't compete in) but I could get slightly bigger brakes from the factory and still compete in the stock class. Same with suspension etc.

Mostly based on posts here. Many minus buyers complained that the added pieces from the PUP were not the best choices for adding actual performance, while at the same time many plus buyers argued that it did not matter since so few people track their cars. I don't think many expressed the following opinion out loud, but it seemed like the less sophisticated buyers were flocking to the plus while the more sophisticated buyers bought the minus. That's totally OK, everyone has their own value analysis, but I think the minus buyers are the ones more likely to snap up a true performance upgrade, unless they already have their cars kitted exactly as they want them.

You're throwing an awfully large blanket on the topic and dissing PUP owners using elitist language. Arguing that the factory top-of-the-line is somehow less sophisticated is nonsensical.

You know, it's OK to admit you prefer the stealth for specific reasons without discounting others. Enthusiasm isn't zero-sum.

That's kinda silly IMO. I would consider myself a sophisticated buyer, my last car was a 620rwhp C7 Corvette that I did the work on and raced on a weekly basis. Saying that I was the sophisticated buyer because I bought that and supercharged it vs buying the Z06 from the factory is silly. I would have killed for a Z06 for factory reliability and parts but couldn't afford it at the time. This time around I wanted everything I could from the factory, yes it may not be the top performing stuff but it's OEM quality and warrantied. Those of us that compete with our cars are bound by class rules as well, I can't just throw a big brake kit on the stealth car without severe consequences (getting thrown into a class I couldn't compete in) but I could get slightly bigger brakes from the factory and still compete in the stock class. Same with suspension etc.

Your analogy only makes sense though if the Z06 only added wheels that were -less- appropriate for racing and slightly improved brakes. That's the issue -- PUP added very little, for some it actually looked like a downgrade.

Your analogy only makes sense though if the Z06 only added wheels that were -less- appropriate for racing and slightly improved brakes. That's the issue -- PUP added very little, for some it actually looked like a downgrade.

Technically the Z06's wheels were a downgrade since they were questionable quality from GM and prone to bending and cracking. Let's be real though, most "stealth" performance buyers are people that really just wanted/needed an LR AWD but found an opportunity to buy a quicker car for just a couple grand more, frankly to call it a performance car on the factory MXM4 tires is insulting. This is like buying a 3 series with a M3 engine in it and saying you're the sophisticated buyer because you're going to build a better M3.

Technically the Z06's wheels were a downgrade since they were questionable quality from GM and prone to bending and cracking. Let's be real though, most "stealth" performance buyers are people that really just wanted/needed an LR AWD but found an opportunity to buy a quicker car for just a couple grand more, frankly to call it a performance car on the factory MXM4 tires is insulting. This is like buying a 3 series with a M3 engine in it and saying you're the sophisticated buyer because you're going to build a better M3.

You are proving my point. Buying the plus because it was more expensive, or "top of the line" as another poster put it, is the definition of unsophisticated car buying. Looking at the actual components and deciding if that is the car you want to drive is the sophisticated way to buy. I had the means to buy a plus but did not think it made any sense -- I still don't.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ryephile

They didn't have the Stealth when i bought my P3D+ in June but I didn't care too much about tracking the car but wanted better tires and brakes so the PUP package was good enough for me. Plus the test drive between the AWD and P+ was pretty stark due to the 18s vs. 20s due to the tires (plus I hated the 18s look). If they had 19 inch Gemini wheels, I might have rather chosen those as I want a slightly thicker tires to protect against potholes.

You are proving my point. Buying the plus because it was more expensive, or "top of the line" as another poster put it, is the definition of unsophisticated car buying. Looking at the actual components and deciding if that is the car you want to drive is the sophisticated way to buy. I had the means to buy a plus but did not think it made any sense -- I still don't.

So am I an unsophisticated buyer because I decided to buy the car with the best factory parts available to be used in actual performance competition? Or is that ok because I knew what I was buying? I'm so confused by how you define who you deem sophisticated or not.

I'm just saying your blanket statements about people using the car for track or autocross use are buying the "stealth" are.... wrong.

My hope is that it's just pushed out like a regular update...AND available for stealth owners too. :p I don't need or want that hardware package (even if it was available to stealth models). But I do want to play around with a lot of the software features!

V2 way too sophisticated for M3P owners. I’m sure it will be only available to stealth owners.