Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

new Trak Sport Snow Chains on Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked with 2 owners at the Truckee supercharger last week and they both had problems with the Tesla chains.
One had lost the entire chain set on Hwy 89 and had to drive back to retrieve the spider after losing traction.
My recommendation is to purchase a real set of low profile chains or just go with the dual motor option :cool:

Did the first person have any theories as to why the chains fell off? Are they sure they pushed the collet on as deep as it would go and tightened with all their strength?

What problem did the second person have with them?

What "real set of low profile chains" would you recommend?

Just another positive review of the Trak Sport here. We've been in Big Bear for the last week and we've had about 4 inches of snow and temps consistently in the 5-30 degree F range. I've driven my 85D several miles up and down steep hills on packed powder and ice with the Trak Sports with no issues. After the initial config, which was slightly confusing I must admit (would be nice if when purchased from Tesla they preconfigured them for Teslas), they are super easy to put on and they come off in seconds.

Just another positive review of the Trak Sport here. We've been in Big Bear for the last week and we've had about 4 inches of snow and temps consistently in the 5-30 degree F range. I've driven my 85D several miles up and down steep hills on packed powder and ice with the Trak Sports with no issues. After the initial config, which was slightly confusing I must admit (would be nice if when purchased from Tesla they preconfigured them for Teslas), they are super easy to put on and they come off in seconds.
Good to hear. I have a set that I have prepared with the red spacer and tested but not put to use yet. I have high expectations to go with the relatively high price and its good to know they can do the job.

Why did you need the trak sport chains with your 85D ... do you have the summer tires?
I had no problems with my 70D in Tahoe with the M+S tires. Even out performed the SUVs!

- - - Updated - - -

Did the first person have any theories as to why the chains fell off?
Are they sure they pushed the collet on as deep as it would go and tightened with all their strength?
Yes, they said they tested the fit and checked it twice.

What problem did the second person have with them?
They gave up trying to put them on in deep snow.

What "real set of low profile chains" would you recommend?
I have seen good results with the cable chains and auto socks

http://www.carid.com/tire-chains.html

Why did you need the trak sport chains with your 85D ... do you have the summer tires?
I had no problems with my 70D in Tahoe with the M+S tires. Even out performed the SUVs!

What are M+S tires? Sorry if I'm not getting the forum lingo. I have stock all seasons. If you mean why did I need chains at all vs. just driving on the tires, I'm not sure I did. But chains are required by the CHP up here often, and they were on Christmas. And honestly, I didn't think it would be safe to drive on unplowed 4" snow, but maybe I was wrong. I took them off yesterday and have driven on thin snow on the tires without trouble. This car performs fantastically on snow. I drove my daughter to camp yesterday 30 miles away up over 8,400 ft (Onyx point) without the chains. The camp has a little one way road up and down steep hills and several other parents were frantically installing chains after sliding backwards. One councilor yelled at me "You won't make it! Put on chains!" right before I proceeded to easily drive up a steep hill without any trouble and without chains. :)

What are M+S tires? Sorry if I'm not getting the forum lingo. I have stock all seasons. If you mean why did I need chains at all vs. just driving on the tires, I'm not sure I did. But chains are required by the CHP up here often, and they were on Christmas. And honestly, I didn't think it would be safe to drive on unplowed 4" snow, but maybe I was wrong. I took them off yesterday and have driven on thin snow on the tires without trouble. This car performs fantastically on snow. I drove my daughter to camp yesterday 30 miles away up over 8,400 ft (Onyx point) without the chains. The camp has a little one way road up and down steep hills and several other parents were frantically installing chains after sliding backwards. One councilor yelled at me "You won't make it! Put on chains!" right before I proceeded to easily drive up a steep hill without any trouble and without chains. :)

No worries, M+S means Mud and Snow as in all season tires. :cool:
As a frequent Tahoe visitor, the Tesla all season tires with AWD (dual motor) performed extremely well.
I own other AWD vehicles including two SUVs and they both don't perform as well in deep snow and slush.
Are you sure the CHP required chains on your Model S ... they usually close the road before AWD and chains are required.
BTW, the weight of the Tesla really helps with the grip of the tires in deep snow ... especially going up hills and over Donner pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: dvhart
Are you sure the CHP required chains on your Model S ... they usually close the road before AWD and chains are required.
I live just off the main route to Big Bear, and there have been plenty of times over the years that the CHP has instituted "R-3" chain controls, wherein chains are required on all vehicles. In any case, in California mountain areas, all drivers are legally required to carry chains in the vehicle whenever winter conditions may exist.

At some point in the coming months, we are thinking of buying a used S-85 without AWD. We'd rather live without AWD and autopilot if that means saving ~$20K. Given that we generally have the flexibility to stay off the roads whenever chains are enforced for 2WD vehicles, and given that our residential street gets plowed decently, we've been fine with our 2WD LEAF and Prius. Given the importance of being prepared with a decent set of chains/cables, I appreciate the advice given in this thread.

As a frequent Tahoe visitor, the Tesla all season tires with AWD (dual motor) performed extremely well.
I own other AWD vehicles including two SUVs and they both don't perform as well in deep snow and slush.
BTW, the weight of the Tesla really helps with the grip of the tires in deep snow ... especially going up hills and over Donner pass.

Heading up to Squaw Valley over the upcoming long weekend and am rather nervous about this whole snow chain business, if it ends up being needed (the forecast is mixed as of now with the storms likely to track further north up into OR and WA) :) Very different up in Tahoe this year, thanks to El Niño, when compared to the dry, snowless winter a year ago.

As @abasile said, anything beyond "R-1" chain control would necessitate chains, even for AWD cars (even at R-2 if not on snow tires):

Winter Operations

I couldn't get Trak Sport and will have to wing it but, in general, is there any concern of potential damage to the rims, suspension, etc. from use of snow chains?

Heading up to Squaw Valley over the upcoming long weekend and am rather nervous about this whole snow chain business, if it ends up being needed (the forecast is mixed as of now with the storms likely to track further north up into OR and WA) Very different up in Tahoe this year, thanks to El Niño, when compared to the dry, snowless winter a year ago.As @abasile said, anything beyond "R-1" chain control would necessitate chains, even for AWD cars (even at R-2 if not on snow tires):
Winter Operations I couldn't get Trak Sport and will have to wing it but, in general, is there any concern of potential damage to the rims, suspension, etc. from use of snow chains?

Let me reassure you that the AWD dual motor Tesla is an excellent performer in the Sierra snow.
I have a house at Squaw Valley and regularly navigate Donner Pass on I-80 in the most extreme conditions.
My 70D with all season M&S tires has out performed my wife's BMW X5 SUV without the assistance of chains etc.
Just make sure that you charge at the Rocklin SC before heading over the pass :smile:

Last edited:
Let me reassure you that the AWD dual motor Tesla is an excellent performer in the Sierra snow.
I have a house at Squaw Valley and regularly navigate Donner Pass on I-80 in the most extreme conditions.
My 70D with all season M&S tires has out performed my wife's BMW X5 SUV without the assistance of chains etc.
Just make sure that you charge at the Rocklin SC before heading over the pass :smile:

+1 given my recent experience in Wyoming and Utah with feet upon feet of snow!!

By the way GG, R-2 conditions just require AWD with M+S tires to CARRY chains, not have them installed. But the P85D with M+S 19" tires will more than shine in these conditions, and if you're stopped at chain control, just confirm you have AWD with M+S and are carrying chains in the trunk.

Eons ago, I did encounter R-3 conditions trying to get to Yosemite in mid-February. I did NOT have chains in my AWD Audi, so chain control made me buy chains and install them - which I was glad to do as the conditions were pretty extreme! But R-2, you'll ever totally fine.

Enjoy your trip! I'll be in Mammoth myself :biggrin:

I have a rear wheel drive MS with the stock all seasons in Boston, where the last two winters are some of the worst on record. It handled 85+ inches of snow across three weeks without problem (feel free to google image Boston winter 2015). You do not need chains ever. I have chains that I bought that are collecting dust even through below, the only reason you see the cars here is because they were dug out and then snowed on again...
BostonSnowThumb.jpg

+1 given my recent experience in Wyoming and Utah with feet upon feet of snow!!

By the way GG, R-2 conditions just require AWD with M+S tires to CARRY chains, not have them installed. But the P85D with M+S 19" tires will more than shine in these conditions, and if you're stopped at chain control, just confirm you have AWD with M+S and are carrying chains in the trunk.

Eons ago, I did encounter R-3 conditions trying to get to Yosemite in mid-February. I did NOT have chains in my AWD Audi, so chain control made me buy chains and install them - which I was glad to do as the conditions were pretty extreme! But R-2, you'll ever totally fine.

Enjoy your trip! I'll be in Mammoth myself :biggrin:

All these people saying you never need chains with MS with AWD, you _might_ be right in some areas under normal conditions. However, in the lower elevation mountains of southern california we have a lot of periods where light snow melts and freezes into thin layers of ice, and I don't think AWD is going to save you from sliding sideways off the road under those conditions. You need chains or at the very least winter tires with good ice grip. So many people around here think they don't need chains and then you drive past car after car that's slid off the road or is being towed up a hill. Better to have chains and not need them than to not have them. Unfortunately if you're driving along feeling cocky with your AWD and hit black ice on a turn, you may realize you needed chains only after you've scraped up the side of your car on a hillside or guard rail.

I couldn't get Trak Sport and will have to wing it but, in general, is there any concern of potential damage to the rims, suspension, etc. from use of snow chains?

I'd say that with a proper install, there's zero concern of damage to anything except maybe tiny scrapes on the lug nut the chains attach to. The chains are too low profile to touch anything and have even been used on 21" tires. However, if the chains break, they could end up whipping against the inside of your wheel well or even the side of the car. That's a potential problem with all chains but since Trak Sport is designed using squares of chain instead of just two chain strands, if only a single part breaks the unbroken sides of the square should keep the broken ends from getting too far and doing damage outside the wheel well.

Charging at the Truckee SC (behind Safeway) was a bit of a challenge though with the snow accumulation

Yeah I've noticed that several times over the last few weeks at the original Truckee SC. they really need to do a better job at plowing or clearing the snow manually from the SC.

Glad to hear you made it fine without chains! See, the P85D is a champion in the snow - as long as tires are adequate :biggrin:

Thanks all for the input. Had a smooth drive up to Squaw today. Was raining a fair bit but, there was no need for chains; the temps were in the low 40s.
Charging at the Truckee SC (behind Safeway) was a bit of a challenge though with the snow accumulation:

View attachment 108216

Yeah I've noticed that several times over the last few weeks at the original Truckee SC.
they really need to do a better job at plowing or clearing the snow manually from the SC.
Glad to hear you made it fine without chains! See, the P85D is a champion in the snow - as long as tires are adequate :biggrin:

Never needed to use chains on the 70D ... they will close the road before R3 is required.
Did you call the Tesla number to report the snow near the SC will make charging difficult?