Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tweet from Tesla: will sell their own CCS adaptor “soon” in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Only newer models of 3 and Y are compatible with the new CCS adapter coming soon to North America for now. Not sure what is required to enable those that are not ready.

On your main screen in the car click on the car icon in the lower left hand corner, then click software and then click additional information. A list of items comes up, one being "CCS adapter support" it will say "Enabled if your car is good to go otherwise it will not work until Tesla adds hardware or software or both to your ride.

View attachment 743219

Thank you. Since all my current and any potential future road trips are covered nicely by Tesla Super and Destination Chargers, so if/when Tesla starts selling the adapter I will gladly hold off so folks that actually need them can get them. Maybe at some future date I will buy one.

I'm inclined to think that the adapter supply will be less of an issue than the controller board supply for converting older cars. @rhuber has been testing a version of the Setec adapter gutted and converted to a pass-through, and getting >200 kW charging with EA stations, so it looks like any adapter which provides pass-through can work. That'd make it easy enough for somebody else to step in to make additional adapters if Tesla can't keep up with demand (and indeed, if it takes much longer to hit the US with supply of the adapters I hope somebody does given how many cars are already CCS-ready). The controller boards and conversions, for older Model 3/Y and S/X, would be the thing Tesla has to provide.

Hopefully Tesla will allow only Model 3 and Model Y owners to purchase these. Everything new seems to get snatched up and put on eBay for a profit while thing are BO on the site all the time. Had that experience with the wall connector and the CHAdeMO adapter I bought a while back.

They do have control of parts such as the TPMS sensors and probably all "over the counter" parts. Went to my local SC over a month ago and said I wanted 4 TPMS sensors for the new Models S coming soon so I can set up my winter wheels before everything is sold out. Told they would not allow me to purchase the part without me having my VIN. Got rather frustrated so I simply said, well then here is the VIN for my Y, no problem she said and went into the back store to get a set. Luckily the refreshed S uses the same bluetooth sensors as the part being purchased must coincide with fitment to the Y.
What would Tesla restrict? For owners of post-2019 cars, the CCS adapter is the obvious choice, about the only reason to get a CdM adapter would be if you had a friendly Nissan dealer who let you use theirs for free (not sure why, but some do.) Older cars need to get the CdM adapter I guess.

Of course, the reality is we should not have to buy them at all. Every DCFast station that is not near a supercharger should have an adapter for Tesla drivers to use. It's a win for them -- 75% of EVs are Teslas -- and it's a win for Tesla (now Tesla drivers can drive all sorts of places and Tesla doesn't have to build a supercharger station there right away.) In fact, I think it's such a win for Tesla that they should give the adapters to these stations, or at least loan them. EVGo puts Tesla CdM adapters (it buys) on stations on a retractable cord. There are a lot, lot, lot fewer charging stations than there are cars, so it's far more efficient to put them at the stations.

It would be nice if Tesla offered an upgrade to the charger controller to support CCS for those of us with older cars. But it seems unlikely, or at least unlikely to cost less than the difference in price between a Setec and the Tesla adapter, though it would be a superior solution to the Setec to be sure. I predict, as I said, that the cost of both CdM and Setecs will drop once the Tesla adapter comes out for $200. But maybe the reverse as they find their market is much smaller and they need more per customer, at least with Setec.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: israndy
What would Tesla restrict?
Sale to people who do not have a Tesla.
Every DCFast station that is not near a supercharger should have an adapter for Tesla drivers to use
They are coming, at least on the new chargers being installed in Canada that is. ONroute's new Ivy EV chargers will feature built-in Tesla adapters

I like having options so yes I have a CHAdeMO adapter in the trunk and one day the CCS1 as soon as it becomes available.

I like having options so yes I have a CHAdeMO adapter in the trunk and one day the CCS1 as soon as it becomes available.
Are there many places where there CdM and not CCS? The only think I can think of is some Nissan dealerships but this seems very rare. The reverse (CCS without CdM) is also quite rare, but Electrify America says they plan to do only CCS in the future, and they have many stations with 4-8 CCS and only 1 of them being dual, which could be an issue. But broadly I think both would be overkill, and CCS is the better one to get (to the extent that I just sold my CdM adapter as I noted above perhaps a bit early.) The reality is that except in a few places (more in Canada than the USA) you will be using Tesla superchargers 99% of the time, and the other DC Fast is for those special situations where there is one that is just a little bit closer and you need it.

In a way, when stations like the ONroute ones switch to using the CCS adapter (which they will because it will be $200 and the CdM is no longer offered) it will be a pain because it won't work with older Teslas. Unless Tesla makes the charger controller upgrade free/cheap.

Are there many places where there CdM and not CCS? The only think I can think of is some Nissan dealerships but this seems very rare. The reverse (CCS without CdM) is also quite rare, but Electrify America says they plan to do only CCS in the future, and they have many stations with 4-8 CCS and only 1 of them being dual, which could be an issue. But broadly I think both would be overkill, and CCS is the better one to get (to the extent that I just sold my CdM adapter as I noted above perhaps a bit early.) The reality is that except in a few places (more in Canada than the USA) you will be using Tesla superchargers 99% of the time, and the other DC Fast is for those special situations where there is one that is just a little bit closer and you need it.

In a way, when stations like the ONroute ones switch to using the CCS adapter (which they will because it will be $200 and the CdM is no longer offered) it will be a pain because it won't work with older Teslas. Unless Tesla makes the charger controller upgrade free/cheap.
There have been very few CHAdeMO only chargers installed since 2016. For example, one EVgo site near me went through this evolution:
2014: J1772 + CHAdeMO-only + CCS-only
April 2015: J1772 + CHAdeMO-only + CCS-CHAdeMO
May 2015: J1772 + CCS-CHAdeMO + CCS-CHAdeMO

EVgo has an increasing number of sites that have the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter bolted to the side of the charger cabinet with a long-ish cable on the Tesla connector. This is the solution they implemented after they ran a trial putting standard Tesla CHAdeMO adapters on retractable security cables.

The reverse (CCS without CdM) is also quite rare, but Electrify America says they plan to do only CCS in the future, and they have many stations with 4-8 CCS and only 1 of them being dual, which could be an issue.
CCS-only, i.e. without CHAdeMO, can also be regularly found at Harley-Davidson dealerships. But they are only 25kW DCFC for their electric motorcycles.

CCS-only, i.e. without CHAdeMO, can also be regularly found at Harley-Davidson dealerships. But they are only 25kW DCFC for their electric motorcycles.
Many other non-Nissan car dealerships have this setup as well, but being car dealerships, I certainly wouldn't count on them functioning for long, nor friendly to non-customers. Plus yeah, 25kW is almost not worth it.

In many more "backwaters" areas (like where I live), there are still a substantial amount of CHAdeMO chargers (although CCS should pass it soon if it has not already). And those areas tend to be ones with more limited Superchargers as well, what a coincidence... ;)

So CHAdeMO adapters would still be handy for many, and as a new Tesla owner I would certainly pick one up if it was available at the original $400 price point. But now you have to pay up towards $1000 on eBay to secure one, so there is a real demand not being filled currently. Hopefully the CCS adapter will be released real soon. For many like myself, people out in the boonies, this will be an instant purchase.

I was mostly curious as to why one would want both, it seems an expensive choice for minimal gain. Alibaba shows some CCS to CdM adapters. As CdM vanishes, you might see these spring up so that old Nissan cars can charge on the larger network, either to be bought by the owners or better, to be present at the CCS only charging stations for use by those drivers, and by Tesla drivers with a CdM adapter perhaps -- double adapter -- who can't use Tesla's CCS adapter.

I am a bit surprised at what they are paying on eBay for CdM adapters with the CCS coming so soon. So surprised that I sold mine at too much profit. Even for those of us with older cars that can't use the CCS, I anticipate the demand for CdM adapters will drop a lot when the CCS can be bought in the Tesla store. They always sold for a profit on eBay, which was a bit odd, largely because they kept going out of stock at the Tesla store. I contemplated buying extra when they were in stock -- would have made a fat profit -- but decided I was not in it for that.

On the other hand, for a while it was not an unreasonable thing to do, if you were going on a big road trip, to buy a CdM adapter from Tesla, do the road trip, and they sell it on eBay as nearly new for a profit. Better and negative cost compared to renting. My other plan had been to form a local "club" of Tesla owners in my neighbourhood to share the adapter, or a pool of adapters. This is the 2nd best approach to having the adapters at the stations. You only need these on road trips, and unless you take a very large number of road trips, sharing with others is high cost effective.

Note that the adapter is useful on a road trip even if you never plug it in, which is not something people realize because at first it doesn't make sense. On a road trip, you sometimes find yourself nervous, "will I make the supercharger?" You probably will make it, but you don't like the anxiety. Knowing you can stop at the DCFast station 20 miles closer than the supercharger removes the anxiety, even if, when you get there, you still have 30 miles of range left and don't need to stop.

On EVGo, while it is great that they put in the Tesla adapters, I am baffled why they put them almost entirely in cities, not too far from Superchargers, superchargers that are not filling up. Nobody is going to pick that over the supercharger which is faster, easier to use and cheaper. What they should do is identify the stations that are far from a supercharger, or near a supercharger that is regularly full. Those I might use.

Last edited:
On EVGo, while it is great that they put in the Tesla adapters, I am baffled why they put them almost entirely in cities, not too far from Superchargers, superchargers that are not filling up. Nobody is going to pick that over the supercharger which is faster, easier to use and cheaper. What they should do is identify the stations that are far from a supercharger, or near a supercharger that is regularly full. Those I might use.
I think EVgo is going after people who don't have home charging. If they have a station at a place that you're already going, like a grocery store, people would use their station instead of making a separate trip to a Supercharger. Putting the Tesla adapter on the station is just increasing their addressable customer base.

Reactions: KJD and RTPEV
I think EVgo is going after people who don't have home charging. If they have a station at a place that you're already going, like a grocery store, people would use their station instead of making a separate trip to a Supercharger. Putting the Tesla adapter on the station is just increasing their addressable customer base.
Certainly wise because Tesla's are 2/3rds of the EVs or more. But the Teslas will go to superchargers if they can. I agree that if your supermarket has the EVGo you might pick it over the supercharger 5 minutes away. Right now, I am not sure EVs are a great choice for people who can't have home charging. Level 1 charging is actually enough for most people (they don't believe it until they try it.) It's certainly enough with rare visits to fast chargers on the few days the Level 1 can't do it for you. But they aren't good business. People with no charging at all can be good business, but typically charging at a DC Fast station is more expensive than gasoline in a hybrid car, and less convenient, while home charging is of course much cheaper and happens while you sleep so you can't get more convenient.

Over time apartment buildings will discover they have to put in charging or lose tenants. However, in some areas there are not shortages of tenants.

Tesla has tweeted that the company will start selling their own CCS adaptor “soon” in North America
Tesla and I have different definitions of the word “soon”.

8ea4715aaa878adb70df3c95611631a5--princess-bride-quotes-the-princess-bride.jpg

Reactions: KJD and RTPEV
Anyone tested if this adapter also supports L2 J1772 charging? It would be nice to only need to carry around one adapter that could do both J1772 and CCS. I could then leave the included J1772 adapter connected to a Wallbox.
No. The two adapters have to be separate. Combining the functions DC and AC charging would be inherently unsafe or it would require a bunch of active circuitry to separate the pins. Two separate passive adapters is the correct and necessary solution.

Anyone tested if this adapter also supports L2 J1772 charging? It would be nice to only need to carry around one adapter that could do both J1772 and CCS. I could then leave the included J1772 adapter connected to a Wallbox.
Tesla's connector has 2 main pins for power transfer. They are shared between the AC and DC roles via a mux in the car that connects them either to the OBC (for AC charging) or directly to the battery (for DC charging). Making an adapter that supports both AC and DC charging would require one of two things:

1. Connecting the pins on the Tesla side to both the J1772 AC pins and the CCS1 DC pins
2. Physical switch on the adapter that toggles what the pins are connected to on the CCS1 side (either J1772 AC or CCS1 DC)

(1) Would be unsafe. You don't know what the AC pins might be connected to on the connector side. (2) is interesting BUT it introduces another potential point of failure that can overheat and melt, so I think it's unlikely to be done, and in any case, this particular adapter doesn't have it.

Reactions: kayak1
Tesla and I have different definitions of the word “soon”.
I like the comparison to an Earthquake... The "big one" is also supposed to come "soon"... So we know it's coming, we just don't know exactly when... But anyday now.... Just like Elon's definition of "soon".... Still waiting for the 360 vectorspace view, that was also supposed to be "soon", when he said it 2 years ago... He even said, "next month" back in september'21.

Tesla's connector has 2 main pins for power transfer. They are shared between the AC and DC roles via a mux in the car that connects them either to the OBC (for AC charging) or directly to the battery (for DC charging). Making an adapter that supports both AC and DC charging would require one of two things:

1. Connecting the pins on the Tesla side to both the J1772 AC pins and the CCS1 DC pins
2. Physical switch on the adapter that toggles what the pins are connected to on the CCS1 side (either J1772 AC or CCS1 DC)

(1) Would be unsafe. You don't know what the AC pins might be connected to on the connector side. (2) is interesting BUT it introduces another potential point of failure that can overheat and melt, so I think it's unlikely to be done, and in any case, this particular adapter doesn't have it.
And since I can't edit my old post, I should also point out that (1) would make the DC connectors on the adapter live when the vehicle is AC charging, and no connector would be covering those pins, which would be a shock hazard.

Reactions: kayak1