Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tweet from Tesla: will sell their own CCS adaptor “soon” in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Korean Tesla store page says that the adapter is rated for 500 V/300 A, so it could be up to 150 kW.
Current Teslas have pack voltages that are lower than 500V -- typically ~300V to 450V, depending on the model and SoC. The maximum voltage is achieved near the top SoC, by which point the car will have already tapered the amperage. Thus, 150kW is rather optimistic. In another thread, somebody crunched some numbers on this, and came up with a guesstimate of a maximum of something like 100-125 kW, depending on the Tesla model, but I don't recall the precise figures. That's at least in the same ballpark as V2 Superchargers before they were boosted from 120kW to 150kW a couple of years ago, and better than the Setec CCS adapter (50kW in practice, although it could be 80kW on relatively new Teslas if its software limits were lifted).

I'd assume it's the same as the current CCS to Tesla2, which is a maximum of 120kW.
According to the store page, the European CCS 2 adapter has a maximum charging rate ("Max. Laderate") of 142 kW. Obviously it depends on the SoC and nominal battery voltage how much can be achieved in practice.

In any case, it will be significantly faster than the Chademo or Setec adapters. I'm really happy that it's finally coming.

I note that the Tesla adapter is more compact than the Setac adapter, the one that looks like it’s a foot long. As I mentioned in another post, the big problem is handling the i*i*R power losses. That can be done by decreasing the resistance. And that’s done by using Big Wires/castings and/or low resistance contacts.. which often involve silver alloys, since silver’s the lowest resistance metal outside of a superconductor. On top of all that, the adapter needs to be physically strong in order to stand up to the abuse it’s going to see in its lifetime.
So, compact, thick looking.. better than the Chinese knockoffs.

The charge port seems to flex more than I'm comfortable with even using Superchargers. What's it like with the CHAdeMO adapter? What's it going to be like with a CCS1 plug and cable hanging off the car with such a large 'lever' angle on it?

They already have experience with the similar passive CCS2 adapter for the European S/X. Guessing it and the charge port are designed such that the extra weight is not a problem.

They have, but my Y is a US-Spec, not EU.
Then you should investigate whether Tesla Service can swap your car over to the European spec charge port hardware. Otherwise, you'd have to adapt from CCS2 to CCS1, then from CCS1 to Tesla via this adapter. Double adapting like that on a high-current, high-voltage DC circuit is a recipe for danger.