Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Type of Car scam ! Gives the Scammer the car and its title !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not following something here: OP wrote

The typical story is that the seller's bank credits the funds before actual receipt and the transaction occurs during this interval. This story is different.

Yes, given that the car was a lease, the buyer insisted that he directly wanted to pay honda.. he made it sound like he was not sure of paying me directly.. Well it did not occur to me as an out of the ordinary request at the time.. he wanted to speak to honda and make sure he sent money directly to them..

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
Seems strange to me that Honda released the title so quickly. When I sold my Durango right after taking delivery of my MS, I also had the buyer paying of the loan on the Durango, very similar to your situation. But the financing institution did not release the title until 15 business days after the payoff for exactly this reason. I definitely would get a lawyer, clearly Honda dropped the ball here.

I have since learnt that in the US, most lawyers like to be defense lawyers rather than represent plaintiff.. Also Defense lawyers have flat rate unlike the lawyers who represent plaintiff ! So if you did a crime get off by paying a flat rate! its funny..

i guess at the moment i am just angry at myself at being so stupid !

Yes, given that the car was a lease, the buyer insisted that he directly wanted to pay honda.. he made it sound like he was not sure of paying me directly.. Well it did not occur to me as an out of the ordinary request at the time.. he wanted to speak to honda and make sure he sent money directly to them..
That is not the point I am wondering about. DID the buyer's bank send funds to Honda ?

I don't trust Anyone that doesn't haggle on the price. No one in their right mind would pay full asking price without offering less first.

Sending a "sister," "brother," or other third-party to pick up goods also seems to be a red flag regarding transactions with strangers.
I am sorry this has happened to the OP, but thank him for the warning.

There is almost never a totally new scam, just variations of old ones. Victims release goods because they mistakenly assume checks have cleared hundreds of times per day.

Sorry you're going through this horrible experience.

I couldn't help but notice- you're a new member to the forum, having just joined today, and your first post was the one on this thread.

Why'd you pick this forum, Tesla Motors Club, to post of your ordeal? Have you also posted the same issue on other car forums?

Not that I question your narrative, just wondering that's all :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for being a good samaritan, and I hope the authorities can get you justice :)

Sorry you're going through this horrible experience.

I couldn't help but notice- you're a new member to the forum, having just joined today, and your first post was the one on this thread.

Why'd you pick this forum, Tesla Motors Club, to post of your ordeal? Have you also posted the same issue on other car forums?

Not that I question your narrative, just wondering that's all :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for being a good samaritan, and I hope the authorities can get you justice :)

True ! I am new to this forum!

In a way this started with the lease transfer of a 2016 tesla 75D to me.. With that car in the driveway the Honda was no longer in use.. Yes, i posted this on Honda forum and here... I plan to post it on Edmunds and others too...

Banks sure have rigged the game in their favor

don't get me started....., did you know if you bank account it electronically hacked and someone wired out all your funds the bank has zero liability?

given that insurance was cancelled before i handed over the car does not help
lesson learned.... I have always overlapped the lapse of my insurance but never imagined this scenario.

I sold a car privately once, the buyer insisted he pay the lien holder directly for the payoff balance. Luckily he did. He also gave me a bankers check for my equity, which I went to the bank with him to deposit right away. I guess if he did not payoff the balance I could have been left with the bill.

So to be safe payoff with a loan, get the title in hand and then sell. But only accept bankers (certified) checks. The bank takes the money first before they issue a bankers check. I believe this is not reversible later on but I may be wrong.

Sorry, but I don't believe this story. Car finance companies take a long time to release title and would never do it until the funds cleared.

I wish i could do better in my narration.. I would also include more details of email addresses, name and phone numbers once the police office allows me to do so... if it helps you in any way .. I have posted this on the Honda Facebook site as well. you can track it there too..
upload_2016-12-10_23-2-39.png

Sorry, but I don't believe this story. Car finance companies take a long time to release title and would never do it until the funds cleared.

Also that is what i believed and hence release the car after i got the title. Also would like to offer to you these messages i sent to Honda.

From Customer service i now learn, that once a customer request payoff and makes a payment instruction the process of title and letter generation is started.. no one at Honda waits for confirmation of payment.. this they tell me has never in the past been an issue.. 99.9% or payments go through.. I find it hard to digest, but i cant say anything to them..

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-08-25.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-08-25.png
    185.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-09-42.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-09-42.png
    87.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-09-55.png
    Screenshot from 2016-12-10 23-09-55.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 47