Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tyre recommendations for Model S Performance 2020 20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've just discovered an egg in the sidewall of my front left tire... :mad:

So now I'm looking to replace my Front Tyres and potentially all 4.

I have the 21" wheel, so it's 245/35 R21 on the front and 265/35 R21 on the back. They have done around ~11,000kms, still plenty of tread left.

Looking at either replacing with what it already has, the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S T0 (More on the T0 below) or something else.

Which leads me here, I'm hoping to get some advice.

Firstly, after some research, I discovered that T0 means it's a Tesla Specific version of the PS4S, Does that mean I have to use the T0 version specifically?

Secondly, does anyone have any experience with the Michelin Super Sport? I'm interested in them mainly due to them being Run-Flats, which given we don't have a spare, does appeal to me.

Finally, I've always replaced all 4 tyres on my cars at the same time, because you should have 'the same wear' on all 4 if possible, however is this just a myth or is there truth to it?

So I'm trying to decide between:

1. Replace just the defective tyre (Having different wear between the front tyres won't matter)
2. Replace just the front tyres, to ensure the front has the same wear pattern
3. Replace all 4 with Pilot Sport 4S T0 (If the T0 part is required due to the weight of the vehicle)
4. Replace all with Michelin Super Sports to gain Run-Flat, just incase I run into issues while on a roadtrip.
5. Other??

TL:DR, Tesla Model S Performance 2020, tires around 50% worn, 1 tyre needs replacing. Would like to know what you recommend.

My vote is number 3. I always do all 4 on all my cars. Unless of course you get an unrepairable puncture early in a tyres life.. but at 50% I would replace all 4. Particularly on a heavy car like the Tesla, and if you don’t you will just shortly be in to the tyre place for the other two..

I didn't rotate and my rears wore out quicker than the front (P-).

Got 4 new tyres and kept the front two for future puncture replacements / track days.

Has paid off for one unrepairable puncture since.
model S 21” are different size front to back. My conti silents are also directional, so no rotating possible. Just have to be diligent on alignment and pressure.

Reactions: OzVic
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Appreciate it.

Went to the local tyre place and they agreed with Option 2, and keeping the still "good" tyre in case something like this happens in the future.

So I'm getting just front 2 replaced.

And PaulP is correct, the Michelins are also directional and staggered front to back, so rotation isn't possible, just got to try to ensure alignment and pressures are kept within spec.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Appreciate it.

Went to the local tyre place and they agreed with Option 2, and keeping the still "good" tyre in case something like this happens in the future.

So I'm getting just front 2 replaced.

And PaulP is correct, the Michelins are also directional and staggered front to back, so rotation isn't possible, just got to try to ensure alignment and pressures are kept within spec.
I save my tyres by not keeping them in spec But rather reacting to wear. When I see the centre wear faster I deflate a bit, and inflate for shoulder wear. Tyres seem to last a huge amount longer from some management.

• Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
I save my tyres by not keeping them in spec But rather reacting to wear. When I see the centre wear faster I deflate a bit, and inflate for shoulder wear. Tyres seem to last a huge amount longer from some management.

Good advice, cheers. I'll keep an eye on that for sure.

I regret getting the 21 on my performance s. They look great but I have had 4 pinch flats in two years.

If the stock wheels weren't silver, I'd have stuck with them, but I think the Grey/Anthracite looks significantly better, I've only had mine for 1 year, and it's been in the Garage through most of COVID, so we'll see how we go now they are out and about again. Hopefully I have a little more luck than yourself. 4 in 2 years is rough...

Good advice, cheers. I'll keep an eye on that for sure.

If the stock wheels weren't silver, I'd have stuck with them, but I think the Grey/Anthracite looks significantly better, I've only had mine for 1 year, and it's been in the Garage through most of COVID, so we'll see how we go now they are out and about again. Hopefully I have a little more luck than yourself. 4 in 2 years is rough...
I have a model S with 19‘s and a model S with 21’s. Both same age and both near identical distance. 4 punctures to the 19’s and none to the 21’s. All were screws, but been lucky since covid started with no punctures. The stray screws must have gone into isolation.

I have a model S with 19‘s and a model S with 21’s. Both same age and both near identical distance. 4 punctures to the 19’s and none to the 21’s. All were screws, but been lucky since covid started with no punctures. The stray screws must have gone into isolation.

That's just the luck of the draw, as there's no real difference between 19 and 21" in terms of the likelihood of that type of puncture.

Pinch flats on the other hand, are largely a function of sidewall height and are much, much more likely with the 21" rims.

Engineering Explained did a great video on this, based around the 20" rims on the Model 3 P

That's just the luck of the draw, as there's no real difference between 19 and 21" in terms of the likelihood of that type of puncture.

Pinch flats on the other hand, are largely a function of sidewall height and are much, much more likely with the 21" rims.

Engineering Explained did a great video on this, based around the 20" rims on the Model 3 P

My current and previous model S had 21” wheels. I’ve never had a pinch flat. Neither have the 19’s. Then again I do drive with eyes on the road to avoid potholes.