Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tyres at 60 000kms

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First set of tyres made it to 60,000kms, road conditions are pretty good around here at the moment, managed to avoid potholes and kerbs, pressures were always maintained at 45psi, pictured are the best two of the old 19inch Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, close to 4.00mm of tread remaining so they're going to a good home as spares.
Overall range on the old set has been 172Wh/km, there's an opinion that range suffers for a short time when new tyres are fitted so I'm keeping track of energy use since change over.
image.jpg

First set of tyres made it to 60,000kms, road conditions are pretty good around here at the moment, managed to avoid potholes and kerbs, pressures were always maintained at 45psi, pictured are the best two of the old 19inch Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, close to 4.00mm of tread remaining so they're going to a good home as spares.
Overall range on the old set has been 172Wh/km, there's an opinion that range suffers for a short time when new tyres are fitted so I'm keeping track of energy use since change over.View attachment 199409
Wow !

As I've just become a MS owner I appreciate the info onpressures. Also how often were you rotating and is your car a rear or D please. Thanks

Hi Puttit, congratulations on becoming a Model S owner.
14 month old P85D, never bothered rotating, will do so at 25/30k next time, fronts had about 10% more wear than the rears, due to the low centre of gravity the Model S will corner very flat but at 2200kg weight the tyres won't last 60k if the car is continually cornered like a 2 door sports car

As I've just become a MS owner I appreciate the info onpressures. Also how often were you rotating and is your car a rear or D please. Thanks

Just be careful that the tyre pressure varies depending on whether you have air suspension or coils. If in doubt, it is written on the drivers door frame.

The service centre over-inflated my tyres last visit.

The Model S massive rims act as a heat sink or a cool sink when you are driving in Winter.
The wind chill factor generated by all that aluminium freezes the tires and contracts the air.
This is why I got low tire pressure warnings on my way down to Melbourne in zero C weather.
Nitrogen In Tyres - Using Nitrogen For Car Tyres | RACQ
Heres an interesting article about Nitrogen and how it has a lower expansion / contraction rate than oxygen.
Mazda service centers have their own Nitrogen generators and Im wondering what Tesla think about Nitrogen.
I inquired about Nitrogen at Jax tires and they said $8 a wheel. Involves hoisting the car and vacuuming each tire before filling with dried Nitrogen. The article above states that whatever you fill your tires with, its important that it has no moisture content.
60000km on a set of tires is normal, I got 63000km from Bridge R623 on my van.
Interesting is the efficiency difference between single and dual motor S's.

Overall range on the old set has been 172Wh/km, there's an opinion that range suffers for a short time when new tyres are fitted so I'm keeping track of energy use since change over.View attachment 199409

Could you look for the tread wear rating number on the tyre wall please? This measurement is a legal requirement in the US but not in Europe. Tyres from US do have high ratings which translates to doing higher mileages.
The highest "tread wear rating" that I have owned is a khumo platinum ecsta with a figure of 600!

Could you look for the tread wear rating number on the tyre wall please? This measurement is a legal requirement in the US but not in Europe. Tyres from US do have high ratings which translates to doing higher mileages.
The highest "tread wear rating" that I have owned is a khumo platinum ecsta with a figure of 600!

Treadwear rating on the new Michelins Is 340, I couldn't see a rating on the old PS3s, but I believe it may be 320.
A few points to remember- these are 19s, the roads around here are generally good, this car does less corners and braking per km than most ( an 85D up In central Perth is reporting less than 30,000kms from the same Michelins, even though the legal limit in WA is 1.6mm I changed tyres when the worst tyre reached 2.5mm.
When do you get your car Doublebo7?

Treadwear rating on the new Michelins Is 340, I couldn't see a rating on the old PS3s, but I believe it may be 320.
A few points to remember- these are 19s, the roads around here are generally good, this car does less corners and braking per km than most ( an 85D up In central Perth is reporting less than 30,000kms from the same Michelins, even though the legal limit in WA is 1.6mm I changed tyres when the worst tyre reached 2.5mm.
When do you get your car Doublebo7?

340 is not a bad rating. 3.4 times higher than the. norm.
Funnily enough my vin arrived today 30007, but delivery scheduled for Feb/march,
I might decide to suspend production in order to
Opt for The 100D

The Model S massive rims act as a heat sink or a cool sink when you are driving in Winter.
The wind chill factor generated by all that aluminium freezes the tires and contracts the air.
This is why I got low tire pressure warnings on my way down to Melbourne in zero C weather.
Nitrogen In Tyres - Using Nitrogen For Car Tyres | RACQ
Heres an interesting article about Nitrogen and how it has a lower expansion / contraction rate than oxygen.
Mazda service centers have their own Nitrogen generators and Im wondering what Tesla think about Nitrogen.
I inquired about Nitrogen at Jax tires and they said $8 a wheel. Involves hoisting the car and vacuuming each tire before filling with dried Nitrogen. The article above states that whatever you fill your tires with, its important that it has no moisture content.
60000km on a set of tires is normal, I got 63000km from Bridge R623 on my van.
Interesting is the efficiency difference between single and dual motor S's.
Normal air is about 80% nitrogen. For normal road use there's no benefit in using pure nitrogen (unless you're selling it:))

Reactions: Cloxxki
Holy molly 60,000Kms - Thats amazing.:eek:

I'm running 21" Continentals and yes I DO drive harder than most but........

Original Set 14,500Kms
Set no 2 18,200kms
set no 3 17,400kms
Set 4 up to 7500 approx on current set.

Having driven on 19" in the states theres a BIG difference in road handling but it appears to equate to a 400% increase in tyre consumption costs. Can I ask what you guys are paying for 19" tyres fitted and balanced?

Holy molly 60,000Kms - Thats amazing.:eek:

I'm running 21" Continentals and yes I DO drive harder than most but........

Original Set 14,500Kms
Set no 2 18,200kms
set no 3 17,400kms
Set 4 up to 7500 approx on current set.

Having driven on 19" in the states theres a BIG difference in road handling but it appears to equate to a 400% increase in tyre consumption costs. Can I ask what you guys are paying for 19" tyres fitted and balanced?

How's it going Keiron?- Replacement 19 inch Michelins were $349 each fitted and balanced, another Tesla driver using the same roads around here covered 64k in his Goodyears ( Feb 2015 delivered S85) I believe he got replacement Goodyears from Tesla for around $250 each before shipping Syd-Perth, in fact he may still have those in storage and is running on the original set.

you may be sceptical but yes, 4 tyres on 3.1 bar, no refilling with N. That's not unusual, I've used N in my tyres on multiple cars for years because that is my usual experience. There was one set of tyres on my previous car (Liberty Spec B ) that I had to top up once but otherwise it's fill and forget. I used to check my tyre pressure regularly but gave up regular checks as it wasn't required. The other benefits of N may be debatable but this is why I use it

Yes, I shall remain skeptical and save my money. I can't see how you can be aware of tyre pressure without having it checked? In doing so, you change the pressure. If you do not check the pressure ("gave up regular checks"), then how can you be certain of the value of the pressure? I suppose you rely on TPMS or similar, which is a high level of trust in remote monitoring, at best. Ah well, to each his own.