TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New tyres at 60 000kms

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Blue heaven, Oct 20, 2016.

1. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

It's your right to remain sceptical:)
    I used to check my pressures weekly, then monthly, then every few months....
    Pressure remained the same. If I'd had to keep returning to the tyre place to refill with N all the time I would have just changed back to 79%N but I've continued to use it on a variety of cars for over 10 years. I'm not claiming any performance advantage but it sure holds the pressure better than air
    YMMV

2. Simbul

Simbul Member

Those with P85D/P90D, where did you get your replacement tyres from....

245/35ZR21 front
    265/35ZR21 rear

Michelin pilot sport... not listed on Michelin website, or a few other sites l checked...

Are you using another brand or was different brand fitted when received car??

3. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

These tyres came standard on the P85+ too.

They are not available from Michelin Australia (they will try and tell you they don't make them in that size)

Tesla import them, so they are available from the Melbourne and Sydney service centres.

4. Simbul

Simbul Member

Thanks MDK, anyone know price???

5. MDK

MDK Aussie Member

They were $685 each 12 months ago and $820 each 7 months ago, so best to check with them for the latest price.

6. Simbul

Simbul Member

7. raynewman

raynewman Member

Each or a set?

8. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

Ouch, glad I got the 19s.

9. Simbul

Simbul Member

Those on 21", do you have Michelins or Continentals?? Anyone know if any major difference between them?

Beaurepaires, Can do 265/35R21 for $699.. in QLD fitted... for the Continentals conti 5 SP... supposedly an original Tesla tyre.
    They can't get the Michelins which l currently have.
    Bob Jane can get Michelins but dont have firm price yet, but will be close to $800 mark.

10. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

At $800 a tyre that gets 17,500kms the 21s work out at almost 8 times more per kilometre than the 19s.

• Like x 1
  11. Keiron

Keiron Member

12. EcoCloudIT

EcoCloudIT Member

Just had my first annual service, tyres (21's) got checked and have been told they are still near new (SC was surprised that my tyres measure near new).

Expecting to get at least 45,000km's, maybe even 55,000km's if I push it.

-ECIT

13. Keiron

Keiron Member

Hi EcoCloudIT this evidence would suggest that you are a safe sensible and careful driver who doesn't often "'Punch it". If only I could hold back...:cool:
    Once a revhead always a revhead.

14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Supporting Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    Nitrogen is worth the expense if, and only if, 1) your area has constant fluctuations between very cold and very warm weather or 2) you regularly drive on very twisty roads and/or drive aggressively.
    I do not currently use nitrogen in my Tesla, but neither of those conditions apply.
    I have used nitrogen in every aircraft I ever owned (>50 all told) and in several cars (Ferrari, Maserati, Porsche).
    The cost is not really worth it otherwise, in my view. If the cost is minimal I would certainly do it now.
    Another advantage in tyre longevity is that the lower expansion rate of nitrogen coupled with the dry interior (all reputable nitrogen fillers dry the tyres prior to loading with nitrogen), but that advantage is very small without one of teh two situations above.
    The other small advantage is that the larger nitrogen molecules leak less rapidly than do those of the oxygen in air. That is also a very minor point, unless one of those two conditions apply.
    In my view it is really nice and good for a tyre dealer or car dealer to have nitrogen, but tesla does not do that. In my ~48,000 km, I have had to top off only two or three times, but i measure the pressures about once per month anyway, out of lifelong habit.

FWIW, the cars I had that I filled with nitrogen were easy because i had nitrogen in my own shop for the airplanes, so it was easy. Would I have done it otherwise? Probably, but I do not know for certain.

BTW, if you have 21" wheels on an S, 22" on an X I would use nitrogen because those tyres are subject to greater stresses and have less tolerance for bumps than do the others, they also wear much, much faster.

• Informative x 2
  15. raynewman

raynewman Member

Just replaced the Goodyears on the 85 at 51,500 km with Michelin 245/45R19 102W XL Primacy 3 ST for $1,360.
    Tyres were worn but not to canvas. Price was less than half Tesla Sydney quote.

• Like x 1
  16. baillies

baillies Member

Can you notice a difference? Quieter? I guess new tires always feel different though.

17. garyjac

garyjac Member

Who did your tyres Ray? $1360 for four I presume?

18. raynewman

raynewman Member

Ya - JAX at Browns Plains. Only took a couple of hours too.

19. garyjac

garyjac Member

They had no issues with lifting the car properly, or did they have to talk to Tesla over the phone about anything?

20. raynewman

raynewman Member

No problems; I had the appropriate page of the manual open on the console and suggested they read it.