TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Uberturbine wheels coming to Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Zoomit, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

It looks like Tesla is revamping the Model 3 wheel options going into the 2021 model year. Over on reddit, u/greentheonly just dropped another big hint: "uberturbine? you just need to wait a couple more weeks." (Source: post)

Greentheonly has an excellent track record of insider knowledge; but as corroborating evidence, the Uberturbine lug nut cover is now appearing in the Model 3 Electronic Parts Catalog.

So it appears the Uberturbine design will be used in some form on the Model 3 Performance. They may be similar to the wheels in this image from the 2016 reveal.

[​IMG]

Those were were 235 front / 275 rear, so we'll need to wait to see if Tesla follows the Model Y and puts staggered tires on Model 3 Performance. The T0-spec 275/30R20 PS4S tire has been available but unused for at least two years.

Threads with other wheel news:
    18": New 18” Pinwheel Refresh Caps
    19": New Model 3 Sport wheels

• Informative x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. JulienW

JulienW Active Member

Hope this is correct. One of my pet peeves has always been the lack of differentiation for the Performance. It is subtle at best. A 10mm drop is probably within tolerance specs, the spoiler is nice and so are the calipers but using with the same wheel design was weak idea. Of course thy did change the finish.

No doubt the Y Performance has more unique and identifying wheels. Ironically the crossover Y seems to have "sportier" overall looks and accents than the sport's sedan 3. Good to see the update correcting some of this. Though I don't like the new 19" Sports wheel and probably should have got with an Induction type design.

3. katie3

katie3 Member

• Like x 1
  4. Dolemite

Dolemite is my name

Those look even heavier than the current P3D wheels.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  5. SlimJim

SlimJim Member

Does having a tire lip to protect rims really create that much drag? I wish Tesla would design wheels that are protected by the tires from the factory.

• Like x 1
  6. UncertainTimes

Model 3 is just becoming a small Model Y at this point what with the chrome delete and same wheel design.

• Disagree x 2
  7. Traaapt

Traaapt Member

Really hoping these don't come w/ the new M3P, looks way less sporty :(

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  8. Eddie1218

Eddie1218 Member

I wouldn't be unhappy if Tesla makes these the default wheels for the M3P. It could be worse. They could give us the enlarged version of the new sport wheels .

9. Sam1

Sam1 Member

Hope they don't add an extra 10 pounds per wheel, on an already heavy wheel installed on a "performance" car.

10. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

#10 Zoomit, Oct 15, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    B046BD45-2308-4FD6-ACFF-AA8CE48EABC3.jpeg BC3106E0-D534-4112-B8DA-03172C204530.jpeg
    557449D3-69DA-49F2-A9B9-70664C679DE2.jpeg

• Like x 3
    • Love x 3
    • Informative x 1
  11. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

Here’s the Model Y for reference
    6DB55678-E1BA-4A60-9288-833A5C713961.jpeg
    DBCCAA6C-BC9F-48DE-96EC-E33B07A98BC8.jpeg

12. MagnusMako

MagnusMako Member

They finally did it hah. I remember this was suppose to happen towards the end of last year based on a past tweet from Elon.

13. Zoomit

Zoomit Active Member

So it does appear they stayed with a square setup. But they increased wheel width from 8.5 to 9.0 inches.

14. Traaapt

Traaapt Member

Maybe they'll grow on me, but I still prefer the older 20" performance wheels. Curious if these are heavier as well.

• Like x 4
  15. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

wider, and have more volume around the rim area. would bet major money they're heavier.

there's a couple of interesting inconsitencies on the rendering they use for main webpage
    Model 3 | Tesla

-main image of red car has wheels rotating the wrong way i.e. vanes pushing air into the wheelwell (tesla wheels only comes in 1 assymetrical design)

-cutout image on chassis shows uberturbine wheels (which are so far only shod with pireli p zero or winter tires) with what looks like symmetrical all season tread pattern... similar to very first michelin pilot sport. they dont look like any max summer category tread patterns today

16. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

I’m guessing the Uberturbines are also less susceptible to cracking ... in which case, it’s an upgrade for sure.

• Like x 1
  17. To3OrNotTo3

To3OrNotTo3 Member

So it's official! They're rolling out with the new model 3s. But the big question I have though is (and I couldn't find this on the epc), what kind of tires are they? On the website it says Pirelli P Zero, but they have different variants of those. All-season, Summer, etc

18. To3OrNotTo3

To3OrNotTo3 Member

That would be nice, I'm also hoping they'll grow on me

19. dmurphy

dmurphy Woof.

I find that almost all Tesla wheels look so much better in person than on the website. No idea why that is, but it’s surely better than the opposite?

20. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

The big question in my mind is if there are left and right versions. It bugs me that the current aero wheels don't.