Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Uberturbine wheels coming to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,
I am getting ready to order a M3P, but I really don't like the new 20" Uberturbines. What's the likelihood that I would be able to find someone to swap a set of the 19" silver wheels (M3LRDM Option) with me. Anyone know what would have to be done to make the TPMS work if you swapped wheels with someone else?

Hello,
I am getting ready to order a M3P, but I really don't like the new 20" Uberturbines. What's the likelihood that I would be able to find someone to swap a set of the 19" silver wheels (M3LRDM Option) with me. Anyone know what would have to be done to make the TPMS work if you swapped wheels with someone else?

I dont know if the standard 19s will fit on the performance without spacers or something ( I am not into that stuff). You will want to start with "will the stock 19s fit on a performance with the performance brakes".

My understanding is the new cars require new TPMS modules, but it doesn't seem from what I've read that the car is too attached to a given one. So you'll need modules from another 21 car somehow... either move over you old modules or swap with someone else with a 21, or buy new modules, or get used to error codes.

• Informative
Reactions: jmbloom_m3p
wat. Everyone here running aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors simply puts on the new wheels + TPMS sensors & moves on with life. I think you can even buy aftermarket TPMS sensors? My understanding is that they're more or less universal. Car will recognize them after a short drive. I bought new OEM TPMS sensors from ebay for like $17/piece and have had zero issues. If it was that much of a pain in the ass to swap wheels, my relationship with this thing would already be over.

But yes, as has been widely discussed, the Performance has stupid hubs and you need an additional groove machined into the wheel to make wheels fit properly. Or a really thin spacer. Or a new brake rotor that has a fatter hat.

agree.

I have new TPMS that I got from Tire Rack with my tires for winter wheels. Came pre-programmed, went in the wheels, drove 10 miles - displayed air pressure. I don't think they will nerf that ability. The current protocol works, why change that other than to lock people into (over)paying for TPMS directly from the OEM?

wat. Everyone here running aftermarket wheels with TPMS sensors simply puts on the new wheels + TPMS sensors & moves on with life. I think you can even buy aftermarket TPMS sensors? My understanding is that they're more or less universal. Car will recognize them after a short drive. I bought new OEM TPMS sensors from ebay for like $17/piece and have had zero issues. If it was that much of a pain in the ass to swap wheels, my relationship with this thing would already be over.

But yes, as has been widely discussed, the Performance has stupid hubs and you need an additional groove machined into the wheel to make wheels fit properly. Or a really thin spacer. Or a new brake rotor that has a fatter hat.

2021 uses bluetooth TPMS is what is being reported, so what you have on your vehicle is not compatible (again, this is what is reported).

EDIT... should have read the other 2 posts before I posted. So anyway, yeah people talking about 2021 TPMS are not trippin.

• Helpful
Reactions: Apone
Great. Because everyone loves Bluetooth. I wonder what benefit this may provide?
Theoretical benefits:
Measure more things (like temperature)
Get rid of RFID in the car
Ummm.... I don't have a good imagination.
I'm guessing they wouldn't change this entire setup unless there's a potential benefit, doesn't seem like something they will make tons of money from, so it's either cutting costs or adding features.

Theoretical benefits:
Measure more things (like temperature)
Get rid of RFID in the car
Ummm.... I don't have a good imagination.
I'm guessing they wouldn't change this entire setup unless there's a potential benefit, doesn't seem like something they will make tons of money from, so it's either cutting costs or adding features.
I think the standard TPMS for the Model 3 already measures temperature?

Does anyone have their 2021 M3P yet? I just spoke to someone at Fastco, the parent company of replika. They said the new Uberturbine wheels are 8.5in, not 9. The only difference in the new wheels, is the centre bore which is now 70.2 as opposed to 64.1 so they'll updated their R241's to 70.2. I'm also curious about the proprietary tpms sensors int he new wheels. The rep said aftermarket ones should work just fine, it may just take some figuring out on the computers end. @Dolemite is that what you were getting at?

Does anyone have their 2021 M3P yet? I just spoke to someone at Fastco, the parent company of replika. They said the new Uberturbine wheels are 8.5in, not 9. The only difference in the new wheels, is the centre bore which is now 70.2 as opposed to 64.1 so they'll updated their R241's to 70.2. I'm also curious about the proprietary tpms sensors int he new wheels. The rep said aftermarket ones should work just fine, it may just take some figuring out on the computers end. @Dolemite is that what you were getting at?
Doesn’t sound like it’s possible based on what others said, above.