Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Uberturbine wheels coming to Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Zoomit

Sep 1, 2015
SoCal
It looks like Tesla is revamping the Model 3 wheel options going into the 2021 model year. Over on reddit, u/greentheonly just dropped another big hint: "uberturbine? you just need to wait a couple more weeks." (Source: post)

Greentheonly has an excellent track record of insider knowledge; but as corroborating evidence, the Uberturbine lug nut cover is now appearing in the Model 3 Electronic Parts Catalog.

So it appears the Uberturbine design will be used in some form on the Model 3 Performance. They may be similar to the wheels in this image from the 2016 reveal.

tesla-model-3.jpg

Those were were 235 front / 275 rear, so we'll need to wait to see if Tesla follows the Model Y and puts staggered tires on Model 3 Performance. The T0-spec 275/30R20 PS4S tire has been available but unused for at least two years.

Threads with other wheel news:
18": New 18” Pinwheel Refresh Caps
19": New Model 3 Sport wheels

Hope this is correct. One of my pet peeves has always been the lack of differentiation for the Performance. It is subtle at best. A 10mm drop is probably within tolerance specs, the spoiler is nice and so are the calipers but using with the same wheel design was weak idea. Of course thy did change the finish.

No doubt the Y Performance has more unique and identifying wheels. Ironically the crossover Y seems to have "sportier" overall looks and accents than the sport's sedan 3. Good to see the update correcting some of this. Though I don't like the new 19" Sports wheel and probably should have got with an Induction type design.

Maybe they'll grow on me, but I still prefer the older 20" performance wheels. Curious if these are heavier as well.
wider, and have more volume around the rim area. would bet major money they're heavier.

there's a couple of interesting inconsitencies on the rendering they use for main webpage
Model 3 | Tesla

-main image of red car has wheels rotating the wrong way i.e. vanes pushing air into the wheelwell (tesla wheels only comes in 1 assymetrical design)

-cutout image on chassis shows uberturbine wheels (which are so far only shod with pireli p zero or winter tires) with what looks like symmetrical all season tread pattern... similar to very first michelin pilot sport. they dont look like any max summer category tread patterns today

So it's official! They're rolling out with the new model 3s. But the big question I have though is (and I couldn't find this on the epc), what kind of tires are they? On the website it says Pirelli P Zero, but they have different variants of those. All-season, Summer, etc