Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OMG, I hate these "improvements"

All they have done is removed frequently used icons on the main menu.
Remember when the removed the passenger lumbar support - and backed that up by saying it was only used on 5% of cars?
I guess they did not want to do the same research to figure out many people use the "seat heater" or "defrost" buttons - as that would be 95% of users.

And they've really f'ed up the radio. Why hell would I need three seperate buttons to open the "radio" (ie Spotify, Streaming, FM".)
In the past, in the Radio app, I was able to remove the sources that I don't use (such as SirriusXM.) I can no longer do that...

I also ran into a huge issue when my radio got muted. It showed that it was playing, but nothing came out of the speakers. Volume/Mute did nothing. Changing source did nothing. I basically switched sources for about 5 minutes until something worked. What a PITA.

I have a huge space on the bottom right of my "toolbar" - that gets occupied when I "split" the AC zones - but they don't fill it with anything useful (seat heaters / defrost buttons) when it's not in use.

Superchargers are now no longer on the main screen (satellite / traffic / superchargers) - instead they've replaced it with a POI button.
I used to be able to see all the superchargers within 50 miles on a single screen - they have removed those so that I can only see them while zoomed in - which will be a PITA when I'm on a road trip and I'm trying to plan waypoints....

Some of the "improvements" I can see - take away the plus/minus zoom buttons on the screen - but then again, why not leave them in case a disabled person needs to use them.
Why move the "heading up" button from the top right to the top left?? All this does is move over the "navigation" option so that it's harder to swipe the "home" shortcut...

Overall: this update is dumb.
They've changed the screen so that you can get into games easier - which you should only do while stopped.
They've removed the driver quick buttons to sub-menus, making them harder to reach (like defrost!)
Did they even test this software - or do any user groups, or did they just make changes to justify their jobs???

FYI, '18 ModelS, AP3, MCU2, FSD.
agree.....the direction button is now fully covered up by the nav button...only comes on when you tap the screen....especially bothersome with you first add a nav point to go to....I like driving upwards on the screen....and it is a pain to fiddle with it to get to going in the right direction......we need to "+" / "-" button back on the screen also.....my eyes are not as good as they used to eb

Reactions: Wol747
In my previous post, I commented based on hearsay. I was still waiting on the update.
Now I have it and need to make amend humbly, as I find the new interface well thought.

What I discovered, and this was not reported in what I had read yesterday and the days before, is that opening the climate menu is very easy, and does not require looking at the screen at all, so very safe. No need for a tap, which indeed does require to look where you tap.
You can simply swipe up, starting from anywhere in the bottom bar, and it will open the climate menu.
So I just reach with my hand, feel the bottom bezel and swipe up on the screen from there.
And again, your fingers can be anywhere at the bottom.
Once it is open, it is actually easier to touch the seat heater (or defrost functions), as they are larger than they used to be.

Same for “keep climate on”: it used to be tricky for me to touch exactly the climate icon. Now a simple swipe up, again, from anywhere in the bottom row, and voilà.

One can argue it is an additional move, and indeed it is. But it is not that bad, and in those months (6+ here) where you don’t need them, well they are indeed out of the way.

Ymmv
so what's the difference between a "tap" and a "swipe up"? you still have to touch the screen to open it

so what's the difference between a "tap" and a "swipe up"? you still have to touch the screen to open it
Maybe you missed my point.

Tap requires to put your finger on a specific area (icon usually) on the display. Which requires to pay attention at said display to accurately tap where needed. More so if it is a small icon.
Some folks around here are dramatizing that we now need two taps to do what needed one and “it’s a safety hazard” and whatnot.

The swipe up, you might have missed it in my explanation, can be done starting from anywhere at the bottom of the screen. No need take your eyes off the road. Bottom of said screen has a bezel, that can be found without needing to look at the screen.

It’s actually even more safe, imo, as the new icon to manage the seat heaters is way larger, making it easier to hit than the previous one which was much smaller.

The problem with removing the seat heater and window defog/defrost buttons from the primary screen is that these buttons (and maybe others?) serve 2 purposes:
1. Control the feature
2. Indicate state of feature (e.g. on vs off, low vs medium vs high, defog vs defrost) similar to physical controls

Removing these buttons from the primary screen means that it's no longer possible to do a quick glance to see what state they're in. In addition to the benefits of easy access and safety (which have already been mentioned), this could also cause unnecessary battery drain when you're heating something that doesn't need it.

I would like to see these controls to be available as favorites so I can choose them for the primary screen. More than 4 favorites would also be nice!

The problem with removing the seat heater and window defog/defrost buttons from the primary screen is that these buttons (and maybe others?) serve 2 purposes:
1. Control the feature
2. Indicate state of feature (e.g. on vs off, low vs medium vs high, defog vs defrost) similar to physical controls

Removing these buttons from the primary screen means that it's no longer possible to do a quick glance to see what state they're in. In addition to the benefits of easy access and safety (which have already been mentioned), this could also cause unnecessary battery drain when you're heating something that doesn't need it.

I would like to see these controls to be available as favorites so I can choose them for the primary screen. More than 4 favorites would also be nice!
Yes!

This!

The issue is I need to know if my ventilated seats are on our not without having to open a sub menu. It's the first thing I check and adjust when I get in the car. Usually I can see it's on so no adjustment needed but now I'd have to check in the climate menu evey time...

No thank you

Reactions: munkeeboi
Maybe you missed my point.

Tap requires to put your finger on a specific area (icon usually) on the display. Which requires to pay attention at said display to accurately tap where needed. More so if it is a small icon.
Some folks around here are dramatizing that we now need two taps to do what needed one and “it’s a safety hazard” and whatnot.

The swipe up, you might have missed it in my explanation, can be done starting from anywhere at the bottom of the screen. No need take your eyes off the road. Bottom of said screen has a bezel, that can be found without needing to look at the screen.

It’s actually even more safe, imo, as the new icon to manage the seat heaters is way larger, making it easier to hit than the previous one which was much smaller.
got it....I understand your point now

Reactions: AustinP
1. Control the feature

this is huge, because IIRC the defrost turns itself off after some time, and I need to turn it on again before letting the rear window frost up completely

the annoying part is this is all to no benefit as we're just left with a bunch of unused space

On the S the new interface would be much better had they made the bottom icons a lot larger, dispensed with the "recent" ones and allowed several more along the strip.
Touchscreens are much more fiddly to use in a moving vehicle than knobs, levers and physical buttons but we're stuck with the video game look so make it more user friendly.

Reactions: David.85D
Now almost Feb22 and still on 2020 version old software... are they (Elon) abandoning the pre-refresh Model S buyers?
You're really not missing much. If you upgrade to MCU2 as mentioned, you'll get a lifeline on updates, but all you'll really get is Tesla Theater (from a software standpoint).

The bigger issue appears to be Tesla abandoning "legacy" S/X models with MCU2 by not offering features that they absolutely should be, that they are in cars with the same hardware (3/Y). The fact that a January 2021 Model S is considered Legacy is laughable.

I have version 2021.24.28 on my pre-refresh AP1 model S... this has serious problems with the map (supposedly Google's fault and they need to fix it) and much weaker "engine breaking" -- wonder if we are going to be left in the cold-orphaned when it comes to SW updates.

Reactions: Wol747