Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back when I had v8 until just this last April, I often used to say "so glad to still be on v8" in response to awful feedback users here give over v9/v10. Then I had to goto v10 when I did the MCU2 upgrade.

V10 is annoying and has many things that don't work as well as v8. In addition, v10 breaks USB music so badly that I've given up using it and just play everything on Spotify (on Tesla's data dime).

This new feedback indicates the v11/v10 gap appears to be even larger than v8/v9.

I can already see it. My new mantra will be "So glad I'm still on v10".

If Tesla doesn't fix these issues, I'll be on V10 until I'm forced off by some repair or Tesla force software upgrades.

So glad I'm still on v10.....but wish it were still v8.:confused:
V7 & 8 was clean, logic and had the swiftest UI. Perfect for driving. Then it went downhill from there and we reached a low point with this update. 2 for 1 (touches that is) when it comes to ergonomics. Double as bad as v9. An order of magnitude worse to V8. At least Spotify begins to have resemblance to v7 again ha!

Killing the seat heaters and fan button is irresponsible.

Last edited:
Updated the wife's X yesterday and she is probably going to hate it. She is resistant to all changes. However, I think the major pain points are for 3/Y owners. For the S/X I can still see my tire pressure and Wh/mi on the IC just like before. I can still switch profiles and save dash cam clips in the top menubar. Losing those would have really bugged me.

The only thing I think truly needs improvement is the new quick launch menu with better looking monochromatic icons, more than 4 icons, and options for adding shortcuts like seat heaters and other functions in the menu. I did use the seat heater shortcuts often, but it's only 2 presses instead of 1. It's not "buried". I had to tap the climate icon already to turn on the rear seats or heated wheel. I do tend to leave my settings the same all winter and use the app to turn on the climate in advance. This update has some annoyances but I think it can be fixed within a few point releases. I regretted updating when reading the comments but after some diving time it's really not that dramatic.

Since this is a major revision, can someone check and see if they fixed USB music?

1) Do USB results show up in search like they did until November of last year.
2) When selecting and album and then lefting back out to the list, does it still pop up to the top of the list?

I like the update. I LOVE the FSD Beta improvements. I live in Austin where heating options are rarely needed so them being a touch away does not bother me, and now they won't get accidentally turned on anymore when someone touches the bottom menu. Did anyone ever actually use the browser? Typing into the screen is/was annoying as hell, especially when we have smart phones. I do not really understand the landslide of criticism.

My best friend has a 2020 MS and does not like the update because he does not like change. I think that sums up most of the criticisms so far.

I like the update. I LOVE the FSD Beta improvements. I live in Austin where heating options are rarely needed so them being a touch away does not bother me, and now they won't get accidentally turned on anymore when someone touches the bottom menu. Did anyone ever actually use the browser? Typing into the screen is/was annoying as hell, especially when we have smart phones. I do not really understand the landslide of criticism.

My best friend has a 2020 MS and does not like the update because he does not like change. I think that sums up most of the criticisms so far.
I think most of the criticism has been more about the extra taps of the screen to accomplish the same tasks. More touches of the screen means more time with eyes away from the road. One extra second (around here anyway) can mean the difference between a fatal accident and a near miss.
Many of us don't live so far south and need the heating options, and I consider losing single-touch defrost buttons a decrease in safety.
None of this is a big deal if your car is driving itself? Well my 2013 will never drive itself.
Would I consider the interface useable? Of course. Is what's described here worse than it used to be? IMO, unquestionably. Can it be improved? Easily; by allowing more options to customize the bar. Here's hoping.

I don't have NAV. I need to be able to see the superchargers on the map to find them. If I'm on a long road trip, I'll want to see the next 3 or 4 superchargers I'll be stopping at to refine my route. With that in mind, if you say "Drive to supercharger," will you get plethora of supercharger pushpins on the map?

Reactions: Wol747
Same here. And same for passenger

Very awkward to use the voice when you’re not alone. It’s not in our culture yet to “command” the car as if it was a butler, but also, if I wanted to do it (very rare), I would need to first ask the family to be quiet, otherwise it surely won’t work. This is utterly odd and I simply don’t do it (ask for silence).
I’ll sure use voice when I’m alone, but not with company in the car.
So yeah but no, voice is not the way.

Hope there is enough voice here so that Tesla rethink their choice. This happened in the past with the previous major refresh.
Thank you Tesla Dev Team.
In my previous post, I commented based on hearsay. I was still waiting on the update.
Now I have it and need to make amend humbly, as I find the new interface well thought.

I think most of the criticism has been more about the extra taps of the screen to accomplish the same tasks. More touches of the screen means more time with eyes away from the road. One extra second (around here anyway) can mean the difference between a fatal accident and a near miss.

What I discovered, and this was not reported in what I had read yesterday and the days before, is that opening the climate menu is very easy, and does not require looking at the screen at all, so very safe. No need for a tap, which indeed does require to look where you tap.
You can simply swipe up, starting from anywhere in the bottom bar, and it will open the climate menu.
So I just reach with my hand, feel the bottom bezel and swipe up on the screen from there.
And again, your fingers can be anywhere at the bottom.
Once it is open, it is actually easier to touch the seat heater (or defrost functions), as they are larger than they used to be.

Same for “keep climate on”: it used to be tricky for me to touch exactly the climate icon. Now a simple swipe up, again, from anywhere in the bottom row, and voilà.

One can argue it is an additional move, and indeed it is. But it is not that bad, and in those months (6+ here) where you don’t need them, well they are indeed out of the way.

Ymmv

In my previous post, I commented based on hearsay. I was still waiting on the update.
Now I have it and need to make amend humbly, as I find the new interface well thought.

What I discovered, and this was not reported in what I had read yesterday and the days before, is that opening the climate menu is very easy, and does not require looking at the screen at all, so very safe. No need for a tap, which indeed does require to look where you tap.
You can simply swipe up, starting from anywhere in the bottom bar, and it will open the climate menu.
So I just reach with my hand, feel the bottom bezel and swipe up on the screen from there.
And again, your fingers can be anywhere at the bottom.
Once it is open, it is actually easier to touch the seat heater (or defrost functions), as they are larger than they used to be.

Same for “keep climate on”: it used to be tricky for me to touch exactly the climate icon. Now a simple swipe up, again, from anywhere in the bottom row, and voilà.

One can argue it is an additional move, and indeed it is. But it is not that bad, and in those months (6+ here) where you don’t need them, well they are indeed out of the way.

Ymmv
Still ridiculously complicated. On the old S I simply put the fan speed function under the right scroll wheel which automatically turned it on. The rest via the main heating menu, always hand, always on click away in a well known place.
Whoever does UI ATM is a graphic designer and not a UI/UX expert let alone someone who designs for a machine exposed to traffic.
Looking good as a magazin layout or an iPad can still be a metaphor for sh***y ergonomics and that’s what we witness ATM.

Tesla was king of the hill in their field, now they are merely complicated and bloated. Kiddo style.

Last edited:
I now use voice commands for “driver seat heater to medium” or “passenger seat heater to high”.

At least then there’s no need to take eyes off road. But I do wish one of the custom icons could be left and right seat heater.

Reactions: sorka

If what you mean by change is removing existing features out right and adding multiple button presses to get to commonly used features, then I agree change is bad. Can we change it back to V8? That would be a huge change from where it is now and what everyone has unfortunately had to get used to but I'll bet you 99% of the people here who had V8 once would choose to bring it back in a heartbeat.

Reactions: shellderp
Since this is a major revision, can someone check and see if they fixed USB music?

1) Do USB results show up in search like they did until November of last year.
2) When selecting and album and then lefting back out to the list, does it still pop up to the top of the list?

Oh, and almost forgot the worst offender in the broken USB music list: Music does not auto resume when you get back in so you have to do 30 key presses all over again just to get back to the same track in the album you were listening to before.

It's made USB music virtually useless so now I just use spotify with my unlimited grandfathered data and waste probably GBs of data each month that would otherwise just come from local USB storage.

Reactions: sealbeach100d
Seems very unlikely pre 2021 Model S will get many new features going forward because of the work required to adapt to the legacy screen format. I noticed we were omitted from the Sentry Mode Live Streaming as well.

I'm just glad we finally got Tidal a year after Elon announced it. That's been the best new feature in ages.
The Sentry Mode Live omission bothers me the most followed closely by the blind spot camera feature.

Oh, and almost forgot the worst offender in the broken USB music list: Music does not auto resume when you get back in so you have to do 30 key presses all over again just to get back to the same track in the album you were listening to before.

It's made USB music virtually useless so now I just use spotify with my unlimited grandfathered data and waste probably GBs of data each month that would otherwise just come from local USB storage.

I haven't tried USB resume yet. USB content does not show up in search.

I found something else that doesn't properly work. The current limit for charging does not retain its setting based on location anymore. Now I have to set it every time I charge my car at home, since it defaults to the maximum.

Got the update on 12/28 (including FSD Beta) and got a chance to try it out yesterday. First impressions are that I like the aesthetic changes overall but not a fan of moving some key shortcuts to sub-menus. Most important for me are the front/rear defogger buttons and heated seat controls (as others have mentioned) both of which now require multiple taps.

What Tesla should do for the portrait-oriented MCU is have two rows of buttons on the bottom. The very bottom row should be climate and volume controls as they were in the V10 software. The row above that should be the configurable app row. That will provide enough space to add multiple streaming service icons plus keep critical climate-related items as single-touch as they were. At least give the option and make it configurable. Obviously the portrait display is not the future for Tesla so not expecting much but still nice to see the improved UI elements.

---

For FSD Beta, the new visualizations are every bit as impressive as I thought they would be. I also got a chance to try it out a little and it was pretty impressive. Looking forward to testing it out more.