Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a 2020 MS and just got 2021.44.6 last night. I don't think they would completely exclude us from some of the goodies, but it's been clear that us vertical-screeners haven't exactly been priority, especially now that all models are on horizontal MCUs. Here's to hoping.

Press the microphone button on the steering wheel and say HO HO HO.

The car in the driver screen should change to Santa in his sleigh.
The other cars should now be reindeer.

Works in my early 2016 model S.

This was not just added, it's been there for years.

I hope we get it. I understand that the vertical screen is old tech in the sense that all Model S from 2012 through 2021 (pre-Plaid/Refresh) uses this layout. It would be a huge bummer if owners of vertical screen cars from the last year or two were excluded. I have a 2016 with MCU2, so if the newer vertical screen cars get it, I would assume I would as well (also have FSD computer and awaiting camera retrofit)

Seems very unlikely pre 2021 Model S will get many new features going forward because of the work required to adapt to the legacy screen format. I noticed we were omitted from the Sentry Mode Live Streaming as well.

I'm just glad we finally got Tidal a year after Elon announced it. That's been the best new feature in ages.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Seems very unlikely pre 2021 Model S will get many new features going forward because of the work required to adapt to the legacy screen format. I noticed we were omitted from the Sentry Mode Live Streaming as well.
The Live View is a mobile app feature, so I don’t see how the layout of the touchscreen would be relevant. I don’t think anyone outside of Tesla knows why the older S/X didn’t get this feature or whether it will come later.

What's ironic is that we put up the most investment on, what was then, a risky automotive company; but the less-expensive Model 3 and Model Y took precedent on new features and changes to attract more buyers (to, of course, alleviate risk). A catch-22, but you'd like to think they would take care of us and provide us with same features as cars with the same hardware/MCU.

The Live View is a mobile app feature, so I don’t see how the layout of the touchscreen would be relevant. I don’t think anyone outside of Tesla knows why the older S/X didn’t get this feature or whether it will come later.
Live view is a combo mobile app and mcu feature. Vertical touchscreens don’t have the latest MCU for sure, not sure how far back MCU-wise live view will function with.

My 2017 S 100D is definitely getting fewer software updates. Today I received 2021.36.5.1 and it only provided parking improvements and driver profiles. None of the Christmas goodies that I read about. I guess I will have to place my order for the 2022 model. I have been waiting for updates on the new S but it is always pot-luck as to what you receive. My 2017 model was updated several months after my delivery.
I am still trying to get my driver score higher to get that new beta software. May be a long wait!!

My 2017 S 100D is definitely getting fewer software updates. Today I received 2021.36.5.1 and it only provided parking improvements and driver profiles. None of the Christmas goodies that I read about. I guess I will have to place my order for the 2022 model. I have been waiting for updates on the new S but it is always pot-luck as to what you receive. My 2017 model was updated several months after my delivery.
I am still trying to get my driver score higher to get that new beta software. May be a long wait!!
The holiday update hasn't been released yet.

If we are supposed to get it, I'm not entirely excited about getting the colored icons back. They clash with each other and just don't look as sleek as the all white ones.
Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but I disagree. Over the years the display has gone from full color to almost complete greyscale. I have to really look at the icons now (even though I know they don't move) to hit the one I want; when they were different colors I could pick them out easier. Now they're all smaller and the same color.

New UI features don't interest me much, but I would like some of the older ones back again. (Color map, green traffic, date display to name a few - how difficult could it be?)