Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's ironic is that we put up the most investment on, what was then, a risky automotive company; but the less-expensive Model 3 and Model Y took precedent on new features and changes to attract more buyers (to, of course, alleviate risk). A catch-22, but you'd like to think they would take care of us and provide us with same features as cars with the same hardware/MCU.
Perhaps. But the way silicon valley tech companies think is in terms of maximizing reach and impact -- getting to very, very large numbers. This is how people get promoted, and compensated. It's built into the culture.

Halo products are not going to get you to big numbers -- but they *can* be good new tech showcases, which lead the way for features to move into larger volume/cheaper cars. This is why the MS/MX refresh made so much sense; it created the leading edge for Tesla again.

Reactions: kylelerner
Live view is a combo mobile app and mcu feature. Vertical touchscreens don’t have the latest MCU for sure, not sure how far back MCU-wise live view will function with.
My 2018 Model S and my wife's 2018 Model 3 both have MCU2. There are differences in the MCU2 design between the S and 3, but nothing that should limit functionality in one or the other. My wife's 3 has the Live View feature, though it didn't work when I tried it for the first time today.

Reactions: Art VandeIay
My 2018 Model S and my wife's 2018 Model 3 both have MCU2. There are differences in the MCU2 design between the S and 3, but nothing that should limit functionality in one or the other. My wife's 3 has the Live View feature, though it didn't work when I tried it for the first time today.

I don't think it's necessarily hardware. Maybe it's related to bandwidth costs. Cars older than July 2018 have free connectivity. Newer cars pay a $10 monthly fee. Maybe Tesla doesn't want to pay for all that "free" bandwidth streaming the Live View for older customers?

• Helpful
Reactions: Arctic_White
I don't think it's necessarily hardware. Maybe it's related to bandwidth costs. Cars older than July 2018 have free connectivity. Newer cars pay a $10 monthly fee. Maybe Tesla doesn't want to pay for all that "free" bandwidth streaming the Live View for older customers?
Meh, I find that pretty far fetched. The bandwidth is a drop in the bucket compared to streaming even one video in one of the theater apps.

I'm a lone voice here who wishes there were fewer added features and a stripped out software that made the core features actually usable. If they just removed the bloatware that doesn't work like the browser and games and put those resources toward the maps being able to load and voice commands working I'd be much happier. These older vehicles are what they are. We don't expect an iPhone 8 to work like and iPhone 13, If you have an older Tesla like I do (2015) wouldn't you rather have stuff that actually works?

I'm a lone voice here who wishes there were fewer added features and a stripped out software that made the core features actually usable. If they just removed the bloatware that doesn't work like the browser and games and put those resources toward the maps being able to load and voice commands working I'd be much happier. These older vehicles are what they are. We don't expect an iPhone 8 to work like and iPhone 13, If you have an older Tesla like I do (2015) wouldn't you rather have stuff that actually works?
I tend to agree with you. I prefer bug fixes over new features. :)

assholes. I really wanted blind spot camera
Seems crazy there isn't "birds eye view" given all the cameras. Blind spot camera seems like a band aid solution. By all accounts a simple colored (red) flash on the LEFT or RIGHT side of the driver screen (when a car is detected) would be equally effective/useful. I'm pretty disappointed with how poorly the live rear cam + side cameras are implemented in the vertical screen. By enabling the very small video of the side cameras - the overlay disables access to anything else (maps, music, etc). Hopefully, that terrible implementation is updated at least. I almost feel like like the camera content (rear + side cameras) should just reside on the drivers screen.

Reactions: TSLC
All the cameras in the world are useless if they’re not in the right place and pointed in the right direction. 360 / Birds eye view needs at minimum an additional camera in the nose of the car.
@ucmndd I didn't realize the limitation - thanks for pointing this out. I don't really need Birds Eye View with an actual video/image. Something like this with some colored warning would be sufficient and far more useful than an actual blindspot video in my opinion. Technically, they have this view on the Model 3. That said, I'd rather just be alerted of the potential risks while executing lane changes, or just be alerted as vehicles are approaching close to the vehicle. Cars immediately to the side and behind the vehicle should be green by default - as that would be a simple visual cue. As you get closer or you approach the vehicle it turns red. I think trying to decipher what's going on in a live video is probably more work than just doing a basic shoulder check.

1640454334849.png
1640454452638.png

Last edited: