Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems crazy there isn't "birds eye view" given all the cameras. Blind spot camera seems like a band aid solution. By all accounts a simple colored (red) flash on the LEFT or RIGHT side of the driver screen (when a car is detected) would be equally effective/useful. I'm pretty disappointed with how poorly the live rear cam + side cameras are implemented in the vertical screen. By enabling the very small video of the side cameras - the overlay disables access to anything else (maps, music, etc). Hopefully, that terrible implementation is updated at least. I almost feel like like the camera content (rear + side cameras) should just reside on the drivers screen.
Keep in mind a car in your blind spot rendered in the IC will turn red when the signal is activated for a lane change. There is some measure of an implementation like what you guys are describing in place now on Atom HW2+ cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
MCU 1 vehicles will not receive a holiday update. Especially not with thousands of MCU 1 vehicles still fighting their 8gb EMMC. I respect Tesla for not taxing the MCU1 cars with the fun gimmicks.
MCU1 gets some of the features:

blog-v11-feature-availability

Whoops! MCU2.5 - I get so lost these days with the iterations.
Actually there is no MCU 2.5
You’re getting the MCU confused with the FSD computer which did have a quasi 2.5 between 2 & 3.
MCU 1 went MCU2 in March 2018. Only Refresh Model S&X have the new MCUs (some call them 3s)
China MYs are going to the new MCU as well.

Last edited:
I'm a lone voice here who wishes there were fewer added features and a stripped out software that made the core features actually usable. If they just removed the bloatware that doesn't work like the browser and games and put those resources toward the maps being able to load and voice commands working I'd be much happier. These older vehicles are what they are. We don't expect an iPhone 8 to work like and iPhone 13, If you have an older Tesla like I do (2015) wouldn't you rather have stuff that actually works?
I so agree with this! I just purchased a 2019 Long Range Model S, and it has just enough improvements over my 2017 for me to be happy, but no ridiculous added stuff. I have an iPhone with an unlimited data plan, so I can watch YouTube and use the browser on my phone! It’s super fun to drive and I’m getting great range. And I get to keep my steering wheel and stalks. I’m content. The only reason I’d buy a new car at this point is for warranty (although I will admit having warranty is very nice).

Reactions: pilotSteve
Keep in mind a car in your blind spot rendered in the IC will turn red when the signal is activated for a lane change. There is some measure of an implementation like what you guys are describing in place now on Atom HW2+ cars.
Yup agreed. That is actually an alright implementation. However, it certainly would make the car safer if they extended this feature for all driving situations (regardless of whether on Autopilot). I really think its a better solution if you could leverage Tesla's image recognition of vehicles than relying on humans to interpret the blindspot video. Moreover, having the "red" alerts would certainly make people more aware and likely more responsive to the driving situation.

if they extended this feature for all driving situations (regardless of whether on Autopilot)
On the 2021+ the IC does show adjacent cars in red if you activate the turn signal when not using AP. This is probably more effective than looking over at center screen to see live camera. I thought my 2018 S also showed cars in red, but cannot be sure about that one.

Reactions: TSLC
On the 2021+ the IC does show adjacent cars in red if you activate the turn signal when not using AP. This is probably more effective than looking over at center screen to see live camera. I thought my 2018 S also showed cars in red, but cannot be sure about that one.
Correct. They both do. Full agreement that a rendered vehicle turning red directly in front of you on the IC is more effective than would be looking right, and down to a small caption display of the side camera on the MCU each time I activate the blinker.

I may be in the minority, but driving with the wide angle rear camera up on the MCU substantially increases situational awareness, and honestly I can see most of what is happening and about to happen there.