Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20211227_002812349.jpg

I received this update today (2019 P100D MCU2). A few things I noticed (which I do not like):

- There is more "empty" space at the top of the screen, at least in the configuration I typically use. I have the Media Player on the bottom and the Rear Camera on top. In this configuration, roughly the top 1/4 of the screen is not used for either app.
- The Media Player does not show the time for the amount played and the amount remaining. There is just a thin progress bar. Times still display in the Instrument Cluster.
- There is also unused space in the bottom of the display, particularly on the right (this can be seen in the screenshot from another user a few posts before mine). This may be due to not using the "split" temperature mode, but it leaves a large black area in the bottom right with nothing displayed. Given how little space there is for the "customizable" App area, it would be better UI if the elements in the bottom would fill the width of the total space as necessary, depending on what has been enabled/selected.

Ugh. What is the point of a “customizable tool bar” if none of the very useful things that are there right now can be added?

Losing one touch seat heater, defrost, and charging controls that I use every single day so that I can “customize” where the arcade button that I NEVER USE is located is a major brain dead regression.

Last edited:
Ugh. What is the point of a “customizable tool bar” if none of the very useful things that are there right now can be added?

Losing one touch seat heater, defrost, and charging controls that I use every single day so that I can “customize” where the arcade button that I NEVER USE is located is a major brain dead regression.
The new UI loses the defrost buttons from the bottom bar? They're probably the most important controls from a safety point of view.
And the seat heater controls are among my most used too.

When they got rid of the top bar (and the other changes at the time) they increased the time my eyes are away from the road by two or three times - and they're continuing the trend. Ridiculous - I'm convinced their developers don't drive. Form over function all the way.

The new UI loses the defrost buttons from the bottom bar? They're probably the most important controls from a safety point of view.
And the seat heater controls are among my most used too.

When they got rid of the top bar (and the other changes at the time) they increased the time my eyes are away from the road by two or three times - and they're continuing the trend. Ridiculous - I'm convinced their developers don't drive. Form over function all the way.
Having both a 2018 model S and a 2021 plaid, I’ve learned to live with and now prefer with voice controls. Safer to keep my eyes on the road.
Try saying turn on the defogger for what used to be the blue icon. And turn on defroster for what used to be the red icon. Also there are many fun ways to turn on the Seat Heater. “My Ass I Cold”…
This web app is useful:

Having both a 2018 model S and a 2021 plaid, I’ve learned to live with and now prefer with voice controls. Safer to keep my eyes on the road.
Try saying turn on the defogger for what used to be the blue icon. And turn on defroster for what used to be the red icon. Also there are many fun ways to turn on the Seat Heater. “My Ass I Cold”…
This web app is useful:

How do voice commands work if you have no cell connectivity ?

Reactions: Battpower
Seems very unlikely pre 2021 Model S will get many new features going forward because of the work required to adapt to the legacy screen format. I noticed we were omitted from the Sentry Mode Live Streaming as well.

I'm just glad we finally got Tidal a year after Elon announced it. That's been the best new feature in ages.

I'd be thrilled if they just fixed the USB music bugs introduced 13 months ago.