Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UI for pre-refreshed model S? Holiday update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed this and kinda wish I hadn’t. After playing around with it for a bit, I think the UI is a major step back. I know people have said this about every release in the past, and honestly none of the prior ones really bothered me, but this one is a real bummer. My gripe list:

Quick access to charging stations (lightning button on the map) is gone and supercharger pins no longer display on the map. Only way to get this information now is buried in the navigation menu.

One touch access to seat heaters is gone. Need to swipe into the climate menu.

One touch access to defrost functions is gone. Need to swipe into the climate menu.

Lots of empty dead space on the bottom menu bar now.

The re-arrangement of the media app and favorites is very jumbled and unintuitive.

I’m sure I’ll get used to most of it but it’s still regressive change for really no good reason. The entire UI is less useful with important everyday functions buried in submenus.

OMG, I hate these "improvements"

All they have done is removed frequently used icons on the main menu.
Remember when the removed the passenger lumbar support - and backed that up by saying it was only used on 5% of cars?
I guess they did not want to do the same research to figure out many people use the "seat heater" or "defrost" buttons - as that would be 95% of users.

And they've really f'ed up the radio. Why hell would I need three seperate buttons to open the "radio" (ie Spotify, Streaming, FM".)
In the past, in the Radio app, I was able to remove the sources that I don't use (such as SirriusXM.) I can no longer do that...

I also ran into a huge issue when my radio got muted. It showed that it was playing, but nothing came out of the speakers. Volume/Mute did nothing. Changing source did nothing. I basically switched sources for about 5 minutes until something worked. What a PITA.

I have a huge space on the bottom right of my "toolbar" - that gets occupied when I "split" the AC zones - but they don't fill it with anything useful (seat heaters / defrost buttons) when it's not in use.

Superchargers are now no longer on the main screen (satellite / traffic / superchargers) - instead they've replaced it with a POI button.
I used to be able to see all the superchargers within 50 miles on a single screen - they have removed those so that I can only see them while zoomed in - which will be a PITA when I'm on a road trip and I'm trying to plan waypoints....

Some of the "improvements" I can see - take away the plus/minus zoom buttons on the screen - but then again, why not leave them in case a disabled person needs to use them.
Why move the "heading up" button from the top right to the top left?? All this does is move over the "navigation" option so that it's harder to swipe the "home" shortcut...

Overall: this update is dumb.
They've changed the screen so that you can get into games easier - which you should only do while stopped.
They've removed the driver quick buttons to sub-menus, making them harder to reach (like defrost!)
Did they even test this software - or do any user groups, or did they just make changes to justify their jobs???

FYI, '18 ModelS, AP3, MCU2, FSD.

Unfortunate, I toggle the heated seat setting many times during a drive. Same with defrost. I was already not a fan of having to open climate to toggle the heated steering wheel, and was hoping they put that on the bottom too. People saying to just use voice controls, consider what happens if you have a sleeping passenger..
Voice control also doesn't work if you have an accent.

Unfortunate, I toggle the heated seat setting many times during a drive…

Same here. And same for passenger

People saying to just use voice controls, consider what happens if you have a sleeping passenger..

Very awkward to use the voice when you’re not alone. It’s not in our culture yet to “command” the car as if it was a butler, but also, if I wanted to do it (very rare), I would need to first ask the family to be quiet, otherwise it surely won’t work. This is utterly odd and I simply don’t do it (ask for silence).
I’ll sure use voice when I’m alone, but not with company in the car.
So yeah but no, voice is not the way.

Hope there is enough voice here so that Tesla rethink their choice. This happened in the past with the previous major refresh.
Thank you Tesla Dev Team.

Installed 2018 100D (HW upgrade)
Browser used to be 3/4 screen but now only 1/2 screen size. I keep wanting to stretch the window.

Question: in a fairly recent release it was possible to “turn off” some audio sources. Is that still available ?

Quick access to charging stations (lightning button on the map) is gone and supercharger pins no longer display on the map. Only way to get this information now is buried in the navigation menu.
Now I'm scared. I don't have navigation. I drive to superchargers by the map.

take away the plus/minus zoom buttons on the screen
Those are gone too? After they added the fade out to the buttons I learned to double tap the screen to zoom in, but the minus button is still the easiest way to zoom out and I often double or triple tap that. If I get this update I'll have to pinch pinch without rotating.

This sounds like the worst update since V8.

I received this update today (2019 P100D MCU2). A few things I noticed (which I do not like):

- There is more "empty" space at the top of the screen, at least in the configuration I typically use. I have the Media Player on the bottom and the Rear Camera on top. In this configuration, roughly the top 1/4 of the screen is not used for either app.
- The Media Player does not show the time for the amount played and the amount remaining. There is just a thin progress bar. Times still display in the Instrument Cluster.
- There is also unused space in the bottom of the display, particularly on the right (this can be seen in the screenshot from another user a few posts before mine). This may be due to not using the "split" temperature mode, but it leaves a large black area in the bottom right with nothing displayed. Given how little space there is for the "customizable" App area, it would be better UI if the elements in the bottom would fill the width of the total space as necessary, depending on what has been enabled/selected.
As for the unused space at the bottom, just have to hit the “split” tab to split out the temp for passenger.
image.jpg

Just installed this and kinda wish I hadn’t. After playing around with it for a bit, I think the UI is a major step back. I know people have said this about every release in the past, and honestly none of the prior ones really bothered me, but this one is a real bummer. My gripe list:

One touch access to seat heaters is gone. Need to swipe into the climate menu.

One touch access to defrost functions is gone. Need to swipe into the climate menu.

Lots of empty dead space on the bottom menu bar now.

The re-arrangement of the media app and favorites is very jumbled and unintuitive.

I’m sure I’ll get used to most of it but it’s still regressive change for really no good reason. The entire UI is less useful with important everyday functions buried in submenus.

Back when I had v8 until just this last April, I often used to say "so glad to still be on v8" in response to awful feedback users here give over v9/v10. Then I had to goto v10 when I did the MCU2 upgrade.

V10 is annoying and has many things that don't work as well as v8. In addition, v10 breaks USB music so badly that I've given up using it and just play everything on Spotify (on Tesla's data dime).

This new feedback indicates the v11/v10 gap appears to be even larger than v8/v9.

I can already see it. My new mantra will be "So glad I'm still on v10".

If Tesla doesn't fix these issues, I'll be on V10 until I'm forced off by some repair or Tesla force software upgrades.

So glad I'm still on v10.....but wish it were still v8.:confused: