TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New UMC cable length

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by Dogwhistle, May 30, 2018.

1. Dogwhistle

Dogwhistle Member

How long is the new UMC cable in total? Looking to using it at my Dad’s house, want to make sure it is long enough to reach from his dryer plug!
    Thanks!

2. Troy916

Troy916 Member

3. amitmishra4

amitmishra4 Member

I can confirm that mine is 20 feet long. In my experience, it is designed to be long enough to be just a little short of “that” plug you want to connect to - isn’t that the design rule of the universe though?:p

• Funny x 5
    • Like x 1
  4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

Yeah, chances are you’ll need an extension cord.

5. linkster

linkster Active Member

Dog

I have carried a 50' UMC (I also own a 40 footer as well) for years. It was “stretched” with Mil-spec crimping by @TonyWilliams of quickchargepower.com. This eliminates some of the risks associated with excessive heat buildup at connection points as well as the risk of accidentally pulling too much amperage since many folks use an improperly terminated 14-50 extension cord that often requires manual intervention to set a safe charge rate and that also requires re-checking with every use since many cars in the past have “forgotten” after an update.

Good-luck!